"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Master Chef

Things that are bad for you!

Ok, this is not a slam to Jminion in any way. In fact, I believe we all need to be reminded every once in a while that moderation is a good thing, and in this world of all kinds of things trying to bring us down, a reminder isn't such a bad thing. Kudos to you Jim.

That being said, let's play with this a bit.

Cheese - Too much cheese may be bad for you. The yellow dye found in many cheeses can cause migrains, and the cheese itself, if eaten in excess, can cause constipation. Publishers of sleazy magazines love cheese. It gives people a reason to purchase their products so they can entertain themselves for long periods on the throne.

Sugar - not only does it contribute to obesity, diabetes, and a host of other ailments, when applied too hot to the shins, it removes hair and skin.

Blueberries - known for their nutritional value (extreme nutritional value), eating too much of the tasty little berries make the cheese digestive problems pale by comparison. Yeh you spend time on the throne, but you're running to get there, and running when you're there as well.

Arsenic - one of the trace minerals our bodies need to work right. But too much makes you crazy as a Yankee fan (heh, heh. Sorry BT. Couldn't resist). Plus, you die!

Milk - love the stuff. But too much of a this good thing can create irritable bowel syndrome, a distinctively nauseating, sour smell if you don't use it fast enough, and calcium deposites in places where there shouldn't be calcium deposits. Please pass the stones (pun intended).

Pizza - contributes to crazy, out-of-control fraternity parties.

Chocolate? I'm not even gonna go there.

Ok, your turn.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Beets - nutrient packed and tasty BUT... after a feast of beets, certain "bodily fluids" shall we say take on a rather crimson colour, which could lead to severe panic attacks ... "...no dad you're ok, it was the beets..."

G

Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #3
Senior Cook

LOL, Goodweed, I can't believe you left butter off your list!

Gourmande, you are funny! I never knew beets could do that to ya! But then, I've never been to a beets feast...
Old 08-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Master Chef

Butter? What's bad about butter? There's no such thing as too much butter.

Now air on the other hand... If yu breathe pure oxygen while scuba-diving at depths of 30 feet or deeper, well it's pure poison. Normal air becomes poisonous at 90 feet below see level. And even if you're breathing the correct "air" mixture, if you rise too quickly, and hold your breath, your lungs will exploded. Also, if you've been diving for long enough, you obviously know the dangers of nitrogen narcosis, and embolisms (nitrogen bubbling out of bodily fluids and forming dangerous and painful pockets of gas in your body).

Have you ever tried to stand in the path of a tornadoe? Not that's definitely too much air.

Have you ever tried to breathe Los Angelous air? That too is too much air, in any amount.

Beans! Need I say more?

Too much RonJohn! Oh, did I say RonJohn? I meant to say YT, I mean BT, I mean V.B., I mean G.W.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
And of course, if oxygen gets too cold, it will liquefy make it rather explosive.....but exceptional at lighting a grill!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmande View Post
Beets - nutrient packed and tasty BUT... after a feast of beets, certain "bodily fluids" shall we say take on a rather crimson colour, which could lead to severe panic attacks ... "...no dad you're ok, it was the beets..."

G
After discussing this phenomenon with my father, he made up a little sign, with a photo of beets on it, with the text, "Ohhhh yeah! BEETS last night!" .

He said I should place it on the toilet tank after a dinner where I've served beets, as a reminder not to panic the next day.

I've actually remembered to use the sign a couple of times, too! Pretty funny, albeit tacky, idea!

Lee
Old 08-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Sugar - not only does it contribute to obesity, diabetes, and a host of other ailments, when applied too hot to the shins, it removes hair and skin.
Wouldn't it be great if it would remove excess fat on the thighs?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

It's clear that too much of almost anything can be bad for you. Except Whoopie, of course. You can never have too much Whoopie. (Wait a minute... I have 7 kids.)

Never mind.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

GW, I've been thinking...All I can come up with is, Too much of a good thing is bad for you. Excess is the culprit. A little salt is good, in fact you gotta have it. To much salt can cause multiple problems.

Have Fun & Enjoy! ( A little bit)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
You know, it could be said that too much of “too little” is bad for you.