"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Things That Once Amazed Us but We Now Take for Granted

Another thread made me think of this. I'll never forget that day in White Front around 1970 (give or take a year). A woman was demonstrating this gadget called a microwave oven. We watched her cook hotdogs in it and were amazed by the speed at which they cooked! Now I stand there urging the microwave (how long has it been since I have added "oven" to its name?) to "HURRY UP!"

So, what once amazed you but you now basically take for granted? It does not have to be cooking related.

Barbara

Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
What a great idea, Barbara!

Not something I saw, but something that was part of my childhood.

There are those of us who remember Dick Tracy. Okay, then, do you remember his two-way wrist radio? Well, guess what, it's here.

Look at all our modern electronics. PDAs, cell phones that take photos, etc.

Dick Tracy would be amazed.

And, by the way, we'll never put a man on the moon.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
Head Chef

The computer. When I was a kid there were none. Then there were the behemoths made of all kinds of vacuum tubes and other large components that were limited to universities and some very large compahies. But now we all have them in our homes, on our laps at airports and at all sorts of places, well, we could not live without them. And all people under the age of thirty or so take them for granted.

It has expanded everyone's world. I remember my first TI-99 computer. It was little more than a toy, you could not do very much with it.

Now I am connected to the world. I continue to be amazed. But yep, I do usually take them for granted.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Master Chef

computers, computers, computers..........where were these marvels when I was in high school and university????????? I had term papers every semester from my sophomore year in high school till when I graduated from Texas A&M in 76. Even had a term paper in invertebrate ecology????? Do you know how many notecards I went thru and placing them on my bed like poker cards for the best play?? And none of this downloading of Google or Wikipedia to get info------late, dusty hours of poking thru old bound mags and relics only to find that your article that you were panting to have was either being bound & not back for another 3 months or some cretin had cut it or torn it out.........yep, those were the Dark Ages for sure.....never mind the email and staying in touch with everybody
Old 05-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
Master Chef

oops forgot to mention the first Texas Instruments calculator. DH was a grad student and it had just come out.........no, kidding we saved and scrimped to have him be able to afford it....he was in Mechanical Engineering and needed it........we still have it and would probably be considered an antique today..........it didn't even rate as a scientific calc. ---just basic functions and it cost nearly cost $200--a fortune back then but so nove at the time
Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Master Chef

I meant "nouveau"---I arrive in the states Friday and the first thing I will do is have my vision checked----
Old 05-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
...I remember my first TI-99 computer. It was little more than a toy, you could not do very much with it.

Now I am connected to the world. I continue to be amazed. But yep, I do usually take them for granted.
We had a Texas Instruments computer too. We just played games on it, but they had the best games! Their Munchman was much better than PacMan!

It's funny, we begin to take all these things for granted, but let them break down and we fall apart!

Barbara
Old 05-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I just remembered something else. I remember when I was in high school (I graduated in 1975), everyone was in awe of the kids who ran the video equipment. And then when they came out with video players (Beta of course) for home use, that was something! VHS wasn't far behind, but I remember the first pre-recorded video tapes available for sale were extremely expensive. We rented, but we couldn't afford to buy them at first!

Barbara
Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
Master Chef

oh, do I ever remember Beta tapes-----engineer hubby convinced me that they were better "constructed and designed" than the VHS---btw----if you're dating or married to an engineer... the words "construction and design" can take over all decisions in the future.....listen to your inner instincts....I watched Beta tapes being phased out and VHS taking over....boy what a dummy I was!!! One good thing out of all of this.....I can tease my DH about it hahaha
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
Sous Chef

TV,- people crowding around the shop window down town watching black and white TV.
Refrigerators,- saved me a lot of work riding my bike down to the butchers shop every morning to get a block of ice for the ice chest.

When I think about it, we have come a long way in just my life time, now we take so much for granted.

We would never have dreamed that one day we could communicate instantly with people on the other side of the world with a screen and a keyboard.

I have just found out that my great-great Grandfather was transported out from England as a convict, he got seven years in the Penal Colony for robbing a coach, his booty was 11 schillings worth of odds and ends.