"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother's first fridge was a used Monitor with the motor on top. Before that we had an icebox. It was my job to empty the drip pan every day. My best friends father was our iceman. When I moved in here, his son lived here also. He took over the business when his father fell ill.

When I got married, I got that Monitor and my father bought her a brand new one from Sears.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just Googled the following. I do believe you will find what you have been looking for at Etsy. They have one pattern left. If that is not it, there are plenty of other peacock patterns to choose from.

https://www.google.com/search?source...dresser+scarfs
Thanks, but unless I missed something, didn't see anything that had both the taj and peacocks on it.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
Master Chef

My grandmother had a huge 2 story house with maid's quarters right off the kitchen. It was the cutest little tiny bedroom with adjoining bath. My brother and I used to argue over who got to sleep in there when we'd go visit her as kids.

One thing I don't see much in kitchens anymore, thank goodness, are those hideous appliance colors such as harvest gold and avocado green. We lived in a house out in the country when I was a kid that had a turquoise stovetop, oven and refrigerator.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

How many of your mothers' had a big brown bowl for mixing? Mine did and it was passed around with all the neighbors. That bowl made for some great stuffing.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
My grandmother had a huge 2 story house with maid's quarters right off the kitchen. It was the cutest little tiny bedroom with adjoining bath. My brother and I used to argue over who got to sleep in there when we'd go visit her as kids.

One thing I don't see much in kitchens anymore, thank goodness, are those hideous appliance colors such as harvest gold and avocado green. We lived in a house out in the country when I was a kid that had a turquoise stovetop, oven and refrigerator.
You been peeking in my kitchen....
Old 05-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Things you don't see in people's kitchens anymore:

A mother giving birth on the kitchen table, that's how my dad was born.
(yes the same table we ate graham crackers on)
A paid maid and cook.
Slaves.
A table for the hired help.
A kettle to boil water for baths.
Salt and Pepper shakers that look like roosters.
A gun rack.
A bucket under the sink for the waste water.
A roll of toilet paper or the sears catalog next to the door for those visiting the outhouse.
:)
Well we have a paid cook/maid for 2 days a week anyway. Wife has a crushed disc in her back and can barely walk let alone do any chores. And between me working 50 hours a week, taking care of her, her disabled brother, the dogs, the house, the laundry, cooking, shopping, etc. I was kinda tired. :) I hired a young mother who goes to our church. She has another client.

She cleans the house, organizes it, does all the laundry, makes up the beds, makes casseroles for 3 or 4 nights of dinners. Pretty much a Godsend. I'd probably be pushing up daisies if I had to do all this work. :)

People don't hire maids/cooks anymore. I think that's partly why unemployment is so high the last 30 years. There used to be a lot more people employed in other people's homes. I think like up until the 1940s(?) even most middle class people had at least a PT maid. Granted the percentage of people in the middle class was probably low back then. Most were barely making it.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:

Yep, now those colors are popular for cars! And appliances are white, off white, and beige.

My mother's house was built in 1905. There's a tiny bedroom right around the corner from the kitchen. Maybe that was the maid's quarters? It's the most original room in the entire house -- has original hardwood floors and wood trimwork around the doors and windows. And the bathroom next to it has the original clawfoot tub and a small pedestal sink.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You been peeking in my kitchen....
Gold is better than turquoise! JMHO. Back then our neighbors had pink appliances. Things sure have changed over the years!

I read an article on FB recently that said the pink tile and sinks in bathrooms is making a comeback. Old is new again!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Things you don't see in people's kitchens anymore

Quote:
Gold is better than turquoise! JMHO. Back then our neighbors had pink appliances. Things sure have changed over the years!

I read an article on FB recently that said the pink tile and sinks in bathrooms is making a comeback. Old is new again!

My parents' house was decorated in pink and turquoise many eons ago. Everything, including the sinks, tub, and toilets were pink. And when DH and I got together, he had Harvest Gold and Avocado appliances, along with an orange shag carpet at his house! Eventually we fixed that.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #30
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Stuff you don;t see in kitchens these days?

Pie safes
A wood stove
A ice box (that takes block ice)
Long drain boards
A pantry cabinet with built in bins for flour and sugar storage
Oil cloth table covers
real linen towels

Tags
kitchen