"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
A radio is something you don't really see anymore in a kitchen. Even though they take away the drudgery of slicing and dicing.

Grandmother had one of those Bakelite AM radios from like the 50's. It was baby blue. I usually have my phone on in the kitchen -- paying Pandora or a podcast.
You do in my kitchen. In fact, I have a radio in every room in the house, including the bathroom! One of them is a little Bakelite table top valve radio that Ma and Pa bought when they were expecting me (in, um, 1949!). It still works well although the move to FM and digital broadcasting has limited the availability of stations nowadays.

The pictures on the radio are so much better than on the television!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Canisters? I have 7 of them in my kitchen right now and I'd like to get another 3 or 4 of them.

I don't have a breadbox because bread would go moldy in it because I rarely go through even a loaf a month. Although I had friends that ended up getting one. They lived in an old farmhouse on a horse boarding stable and soon the mice discovered their cupboards.......we all found out real fast what metal breadboxes were for.

One thing I haven't seen in anyone's kitchen in a long time is a cookie jar being used for cookies. I had one I used to keep on top of the fridge, but that held all the seeds I bought for planting through the year.
I just got rid of my cookie jar last month. It was a bucket well cookie jar. All I used it for was to collect dust. Had that thing for eons. Since my kids were real small.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Canisters? I have 7 of them in my kitchen right now and I'd like to get another 3 or 4 of them.

One thing I haven't seen in anyone's kitchen in a long time is a cookie jar being used for cookies. I had one I used to keep on top of the fridge, but that held all the seeds I bought for planting through the year.
Oh, I love canisters and have lots of them...and use them.

As for cookie jars, I've never been without one. At the moment our cookie jar is pretty generic, but when there's a holiday or seasonal theme, the cookie jar reflects same. I mainly do the change-out because of grandchildren but I enjoy seeing the many different and familiar old jars on the counter when it's their turn.

Glenn loves cookies, which means the cookie jar always has something in it. He knows it and the grandchildren know it.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

We don't have cookie jars but we do have candy dishes. When our grandson was younger, he'd ask for a piece of candy. Grammy as always happy to join him in a few pieces. Now he's older and I've told him he can help himself without asking. He doesn't abuse the privilege.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
You do in my kitchen. In fact, I have a radio in every room in the house, including the bathroom! One of them is a little Bakelite table top valve radio that Ma and Pa bought when they were expecting me (in, um, 1949!). It still works well although the move to FM and digital broadcasting has limited the availability of stations nowadays.

The pictures on the radio are so much better than on the television!
My mother had a radio right there on the kitchen table until the day she died. As a child, I remember all of us sitting around the table right after supper and the dishes and kitchen was cleaned, listening to so many favorite radio shows. You could always see the bad guy hiding in the shadows in the alley. Then you would hear the footsteps of the good guy walking down that alley right into danger.

Tags
kitchen