Things you don't see in people's kitchens anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, you can also buy oilcloth by the yard. As long as you have a way to finish the edge, you would have sooooo many choices! There are lots of sites that googled up. Here's one of them: Oilcloth by the Yard

We never finished the edge of the oil cloth. We centered it on the table and carefully folded the edges under the table, it stayed in place with a couple of thumbtacks until it needed to be replaced.

Remember having a card of thumbtacks in the junk drawer? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

s-l1600.jpg

How many of your mothers' had a big brown bowl for mixing? Mine did and it was passed around with all the neighbors. That bowl made for some great stuffing. :angel:

My mom still has hers, it's a big earthenware or some other ceramic type bowl, quite rustic. She always mixed up her stuffing in it and her large batch of yeast dough.

You been peeking in my kitchen....

The hall where we got married had a vintage Gibson range in that dark brown. It was in showroom condition and worked perfectly. If that was in my house when I bought it, I'd definitely keep it and use it! They also had a huge Garland restaurant range, but I was drawn to the old one.

My mom still has hers, it's a big earthenware or some other ceramic type bowl, quite rustic. She always mixed up her stuffing in it and her large batch of yeast dough.

Our mothers' must have known each other. I can still see my mother sitting at the table that also had the radio on it, mixing her stuffing in her big brown ceramic bowl. :angel:

Our mothers' must have known each other. I can still see my mother sitting at the table that also had the radio on it, mixing her stuffing in her big brown ceramic bowl. :angel:

A radio is something you don't really see anymore in a kitchen. Even though they take away the drudgery of slicing and dicing.

Grandmother had one of those Bakelite AM radios from like the 50's. It was baby blue. I usually have my phone on in the kitchen -- paying Pandora or a podcast.

Canisters? I have 7 of them in my kitchen right now and I'd like to get another 3 or 4 of them.

I don't have a breadbox because bread would go moldy in it because I rarely go through even a loaf a month. Although I had friends that ended up getting one. They lived in an old farmhouse on a horse boarding stable and soon the mice discovered their cupboards.......we all found out real fast what metal breadboxes were for.

One thing I haven't seen in anyone's kitchen in a long time is a cookie jar being used for cookies. I had one I used to keep on top of the fridge, but that held all the seeds I bought for planting through the year.

A radio is something you don't really see anymore in a kitchen. Even though they take away the drudgery of slicing and dicing.

Grandmother had one of those Bakelite AM radios from like the 50's. It was baby blue. I usually have my phone on in the kitchen -- paying Pandora or a podcast.

My mother listened to her soap operas. Our Gal Sunday, Helen Trent, etc. :angel:

My grandmother always had one of these old soap savers. You put a bar of soap or scraps of soap in the cage and swish it about in a pan of hot water to make your cleaning solution. She used it when she washed a few clothes in the kitchen sink.

il_570xN.345652953.jpg

I had a Pyrex kettle when the kids were small. Also a Pyrex double boiler.
My mother had a Hoosier Cabinet with a flour bin that worked. I don't know what happened to it when my father died. My mother kept the dish towels in the top side drawer and the small wide front drawer was the junk drawer. She knew exactly what part of that drawer something was. She would ask me to get her something from it and I would tell her I couldn't find it. "If I have to get up and get it myself, you are going to be punished. You are not even looking. It is in the left corner way in the back behind whatever." Sure enough, there it was.
When I was a little girl one of my aunts lived in a house built in the 1920s which had a "Yorkshire" range, like this one http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...-_1092763a.jpg. She no longer cooked on it as she had "modernised" up to a proper gas cooker but it was the main source of heat and hot water. When I stayed with her in winter she used to put my vest and knickers and "liberty bodice" (anyone else in the UK remember those in the 1950s?) in the oven part of the range to warm before we got up.

Last edited:

You do in my kitchen. In fact, I have a radio in every room in the house, including the bathroom! One of them is a little Bakelite table top valve radio that Ma and Pa bought when they were expecting me (in, um, 1949!). It still works well although the move to FM and digital broadcasting has limited the availability of stations nowadays.

The pictures on the radio are so much better than on the television!

Canisters? I have 7 of them in my kitchen right now and I'd like to get another 3 or 4 of them.

I don't have a breadbox because bread would go moldy in it because I rarely go through even a loaf a month. Although I had friends that ended up getting one. They lived in an old farmhouse on a horse boarding stable and soon the mice discovered their cupboards.......we all found out real fast what metal breadboxes were for.

One thing I haven't seen in anyone's kitchen in a long time is a cookie jar being used for cookies. I had one I used to keep on top of the fridge, but that held all the seeds I bought for planting through the year.

I just got rid of my cookie jar last month. It was a bucket well cookie jar. All I used it for was to collect dust. Had that thing for eons. Since my kids were real small. :angel:

Oh, I love canisters and have lots of them...and use them.

As for cookie jars, I've never been without one. At the moment our cookie jar is pretty generic, but when there's a holiday or seasonal theme, the cookie jar reflects same. I mainly do the change-out because of grandchildren but I enjoy seeing the many different and familiar old jars on the counter when it's their turn.

Glenn loves cookies, which means the cookie jar always has something in it. He knows it and the grandchildren know it.

We don't have cookie jars but we do have candy dishes. When our grandson was younger, he'd ask for a piece of candy. Grammy as always happy to join him in a few pieces. Now he's older and I've told him he can help himself without asking. He doesn't abuse the privilege.

You do in my kitchen. In fact, I have a radio in every room in the house, including the bathroom! One of them is a little Bakelite table top valve radio that Ma and Pa bought when they were expecting me (in, um, 1949!). It still works well although the move to FM and digital broadcasting has limited the availability of stations nowadays.

The pictures on the radio are so much better than on the television!

My mother had a radio right there on the kitchen table until the day she died. As a child, I remember all of us sitting around the table right after supper and the dishes and kitchen was cleaned, listening to so many favorite radio shows. You could always see the bad guy hiding in the shadows in the alley. Then you would hear the footsteps of the good guy walking down that alley right into danger. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom