"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Things you don't see in people's kitchens anymore

When I was a kid in the late 1970's, I recall going over to the neighbor lady's house with my mom, and they'd have coffee. The lady had 4 or 5 wooden boxes on the counter -- one for coffee, one for tea, sugar, flour, oats. No one has those anymore. We do have the ceramic canister version of it -- for sugar, brown sugar.

Also, the tea kettle is rapidly becoming a dinosaur in a lot of homes. Most people just put water in a mug and nuke it in the microwave. I think heavy tea drinkers still have kettles though so they can make tea for more than one person at a time. It is one of the first things I bought (at Target) in 1995 when I got my first apartment.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have copper canisters that I inherited for sugar, flour, etc., still use 'em. They have a bit of patina on them now. I also use my SS tea kettle regularily for boiling water for steeping jamaica (hibiscus) tea. I have a big pitcher of it in the fridge!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have a SS tea kettle that whistles, and I love it. My daughter bought it for me a few years ago. I also have storage canisters for flour and sugar, etc., but they're in glass containers with rubber sealed lids in the cupboards. I don't want them on the countertops and have to clean around them.

Hmmm....I'll have to think about my grandma's kitchen and things I don't see any more. Other than wood stoves, but some folks here might still have them. I'm lookin' at you, Rugged Dude.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Both my gramma and my great aunt regularily made coffee in the percolator. Aunt's coffee could disintegrate a spoon, or a dead body, it was so strong.

They also both had citrus squeezers, a ridged glass thing that sat on a pitcher.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
Head Chef

Things you don't see in people's kitchens anymore:

A mother giving birth on the kitchen table, that's how my dad was born.
(yes the same table we ate graham crackers on)
A paid maid and cook.
Slaves.
A table for the hired help.
A kettle to boil water for baths.
Salt and Pepper shakers that look like roosters.
A gun rack.
A bucket under the sink for the waste water.
A roll of toilet paper or the sears catalog next to the door for those visiting the outhouse.
:)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have copper canisters that I inherited for sugar, flour, etc., still use 'em. They have a bit of patina on them now. I also use my SS tea kettle regularily for boiling water for steeping jamaica (hibiscus) tea. I have a big pitcher of it in the fridge!
I have a RevereWare tea kettle with a copper bottom. I received it as a present more than 40 years ago. I use it all the time. When I make a pot of tea, there is a big difference between heating up water in the microwave and starting with cold water in the tea kettle to bring it to a boil.

I also have my mothers wire pastry blender and use it for making biscuits. I used to have a wooden cutlery tray for your tableware. It finally gave up the fight and fell completely apart.

I miss going out into the countryside with my sister and finding yard sales. I have a table cloth that was made from a sheet and is all hand embroidered. I treasure that.

Remember those kitchen service spoons with the green or red handle. I have one of the large spoons. Most of the paint is worn off. Perfect for scooping out the stuffing from inside the bird. Yeah, I prefer old to new any day.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Addie, you reminded me of the embroidered dishtowels my gramma and her friends shared with each other. I also have a cute collection of Gramma's aprons. I use them decoratively.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:09 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My canisters are in the cupboards, they are airtight bins with scoops in them. I have 4 sets of Rooster S&P shakers, I also have a severe tea kettle/pot fetish. I have more than one sitting on the stove. My rolling pin is proudly displayed and used frequently. There is a dishwasher that I do mot use, do not want. A compost bucket on the counter. Although I do have an electric pressure cooker that I can also use to brown meat, cook rice and use as a slow cooker.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 AM   #9
Master Chef

Parts of my kitchen look like they're out of the 1950's to 1970's! I have and use my folks old wooden bread box, I have an antique drying rack that holds all sorts of tea towels and an old flour sack. I have a collection of aprons, some of which my Mom made, that have been on display and/or put to work. I even used a couple as a valance over the kitchen window! I use my Mom's old wooden-knobbed sifter for powder sugar now, since I have my "new" one for flour. It was given to me at my wedding shower 40+ years ago. Lots of old stuff in my kitchen that still gets put to work - including ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
...Also, the tea kettle is rapidly becoming a dinosaur in a lot of homes. Most people just put water in a mug and nuke it in the microwave...
Serious tea drinkers don't nuke water for tea, though. You need to start with fresh cold water, then bring it to the proper temperature for the tea type. Since I drink mostly black teas, a full boil is fine. Sometimes, though, we have green or white tea. Those are the times I wish I had one of those glass Chinese water kettles so I could watch the bubbles form just right. Mostly, though, because I'm a kitchen tchotchke freak.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

I still keep my Revere whistling teakettle on the stove and use it every day!

In my kitchen the steam iron and the ironing board are missing. When I was growing up they seemed be a constant fixture along with the wooden clothes bars. The clothes bars were used to dry a few clothes that had been hand washed in the kitchen sink.

It is fun to play this game in reverse with a group of young children. Go around the room and point out all of the things that did not exist when you were a kid then discuss how you survived without them. It amazes the kids and makes you feel really, really old!!!

Tags
kitchen