"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #51
Master Chef

The liver works at birth. What happens is that newborns have a high red blood cell count from being in utero. They have their own blood and some of the mother's blood from the placenta. As the red blood cells die, the by product is bilirubin. normally, this is removed from the body by the liver and excreted through the urine and feces. In newborns, their liver functions are normal but unable to handle the large amount of bilirubin being produced by this huge die-off of red blood cells. The bilirubin builds up in the body and produces jaundice. The light therapy helps to break down the bilirubin in the skin to be excreted in the urine. It is not an indicator of poor liver function or prematurity. Not all babies have it but it is a common occurance like baby acne.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
The liver works at birth. What happens is that newborns have a high red blood cell count from being in utero. They have their own blood and some of the mother's blood from the placenta. As the red blood cells die, the by product is bilirubin. normally, this is removed from the body by the liver and excreted through the urine and feces. In newborns, their liver functions are normal but unable to handle the large amount of bilirubin being produced by this huge die-off of red blood cells. The bilirubin builds up in the body and produces jaundice. The light therapy helps to break down the bilirubin in the skin to be excreted in the urine. It is not an indicator of poor liver function or prematurity. Not all babies have it but it is a common occurance like baby acne.
This is a great explanation - it is a very common condition in newborns. Babies born at home are generally placed near a window to receive full daylight a few minutes at a time for the first few days as an aid to breaking down the bilirubin.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
I'll try to explain, but I don't know if I can make it in english..

with newborn children the liver has to start working after the birth.. sometimes it takes a bit longer until the liver does, what it should do, e.g. turn non-water-soluble billyrubin into water-soluble billyrubin so the child can excrete it over the kidneys....

hope you understand what I want to say...

@babetoo
I'm glad to hear your granddaughter and teh baby are alright now!
thanx , i undertood perfectly. Since everything is used to the mother doing it all the liver has to play a game of "catch up" so i guess certain blood cells and other various types of cells havnt been broken down yet. My mom tried explaining it to me last night and i somewhat understood. To many red blood cells and the liver cant keep up. She said they have a tent at the hospitals they put the babies under. a billy ruben tent. very interesting stuff.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #54
Head Chef

Well im glad to hear that the baby is doing fine. Have you had the chance to hold her yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

baby

everything is the same, mom home. baby not. i had a nightmare last night that i won't go into. very vivid and sad. sure hope not.

babe
Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #56
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm praying that everything is perfectly normal for the baby and that you have a nice peaceful night's sleep tonight.

Barbara
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I'm praying that everything is perfectly normal for the baby and that you have a nice peaceful night's sleep tonight.

Barbara
thanks you so much barbara, it was one of those bolt up in bed dreams, pulse going fast. you know the kind.

i hardly ever sleep well at any time. maybe your prayer will help.

babe
Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #58
Traveling Welcome Wagon

When I have trouble sleeping I like to take a warm bath right before bed. I don't usually have trouble sleeping, but when I do I have even gotten out of bed in the middle of the night to take a bath. That helps me a lot. I'm trying to rearrange my sleep schedule (I have gotten into the bad habit of going to bed anywhere from 4:00 to as late as sunrise) so a friend told me about an herbal sleep aid, melatonin, and that has helped a lot too. I got it at GNC.

LOL Now I'm in the mood for a nice warm bath! Probably because my feet are freezing!

You are in my prayers.

Barbara
Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #59
Head Chef

Prayers and positive thoughts certainly continue.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Prayers are on their way.