Think Cold Thoughts...Think Cold Thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's about 135 in the kitchen

especially near the ovens....I've got the entire crew wearing ice drenched towels around their necks and taking 5 minute breaks in the walkins.

Now that I'm home, I'd pay anyone to wrap ice water drenched towels around my feet. The winning lottery ticket could be on the counter in my own kitchen, here at home, and I wouldn't be coaxed to enter

95 here. heat index is 105. But I'm not going to complain because in a few shorts (too short) months I'll be complaining about how it's freezing !

That sucks, sorry about your weather gods being mean. Right now I'm not sure if I wish it was hotter or colde out because I'm feeling that sort of hot-and-cold-at-the-same-time thing. I think I'm getting sick.

No, I'm not enjoying it. Yes, I've lived through worse heat -- with air conditioning. I've lived through 120 often (ever camped in a canvas tent in Saint George, Utah?). Right now I'm getting a little cranky .... menopause AND a heat wave are not a great combination. Thank heaven it is supposed to abate tomorrow. I've never been known to lose my appetite, but tonight's salad nicoise is mostly in the fridge. Thank heaven for other small favors -- a husband who, unlike a lot of men I know, doesn't think he has the God-given right to a hot meal every night. He LIKES it that I make cool meals in the summer. Not to mention that he makes jokes about living on menopause mountain and tells all of us that we aren't even mean or b-tchy. Tomorrow it will be reasonable. There is a reason we left Florida. It is hot and unpleasant and noisy (window air conditioners). I think maybe the noise is the worst part.

It addition to everyone else's suggestions, there is a product called Seabreeze that is very, very cooling. I sprinkle some on a face cloth doused in very cold water. When we were on the road, I'd fill the trailer sink with water & a bag of ice and sprinkle Seabreeze on it. I'd keep face cloths in it and we'd wipe each other down with it.

Don't forget your pets. An ice cube in the water bowl goes a long way. Don't leave them outside. I've never quite gotten the concept of outdoor pets anyway, but mine stay inside with me. We suffer together.

TATTRAT said:
if I had electrical outlets in the walk in, I would move my office into it.

One of the other cooks and I were lamenting the lack of electrical outlets in our walk-in as well. Of course, that's because they're starting to make some sausage from scratch, and you need to keep your equipment (and product) as cold as possible.

I did find one GOOD thing about the heat today. I must have done 6 loads of laundry, and air-dried all of them on the lines outside. Usually, the previous load was dry by the time the next load came out 40 minutes later.

Well, it's decided, you are all invited to my house to enjoy the high of this week...72 degrees.:cool: I'm sorry it's so hot for everyone out there. It was really hot here two weeks ago but it's cooled off. I'm sending the cool weather east everyone!

ronjohn55 said:
Yep, us too, although I'm actually enjoying it. Reminds me of Dallas and San Antonio.

John

umm, would that be becuase of the heat, or the smell of dog sweat and vanilla?

(you have to read this thread in chronological order)

TATTRAT said:
if I had electrical outlets in the walk in, I would move my office into it.
One of the specials we do uses pastry. When it is hot in the kitchen, I have an excuse to work in the walkin, as I am the only one there that can make pastry.:ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

buckytom said:
umm, would that be becuase of the heat, or the smell of dog sweat and vanilla?

(you have to read this thread in chronological order)

Hey! Jkath is the one spritzing her dog with airfreshener, not me! (I use beer, the dog seems to like it...)

John

This is where we will be in a little more than a week's time, Stelvio, Trentino... Even in mid August you need a sweater (unless you are chugging up the mountain on your bicycle, the course often used during Giro d'Italia...) and a heater during the night!!

Licia, can Sofia and I come, please, please, please?:) Even in the AC we're sweating and she keeps sliding down my arm! She's in just a diaper and she still seems warm (but I'm not taking that off!:LOL: ). They're calling for it to be 118 here today. Ugh!

Hang in there everyone! Hopefully this awful weather will break by the weekend. If you have elderly neighbors, be sure to check in on them. I know my grandpa is known for keeping his sweater on even in this kind of heat and needs to be reminded about how hot it's getting.

PA Baker said:
Licia, can Sofia and I come, please, please, please?:)

Of course that would be my pleasure!! You and Sofia will LOVE the apple strudel they make over there, they are to die for:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom