"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, take a look at the site - it boasts that the news is "Unedited. Unfiltered." To me, that means unverified Like any other blog, anyone can say anything they want, whether it's true or not. As my dad always said when I was growing up, "Don't believe everything you read." Or everything you see.

Nice point GotGarlic. I am a bit naive sometimes!

Savory Tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
The house sustained severe damage DQ - look much closer!!!!

The only thing I question is the coloring of that upper deck on the right. And that house is NOT the only house standing.

The picture was probably taken when the new deck was built and had since been painted.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Tornadoes are relatively small areas of high-speed winds that bop around, while hurricanes can cover hundreds of miles, and in Ike's case, did. When it made landfall, it covered the entire Texas coast: IKE Graphics Archive

I find it really hard to believe that a storm that size wouldn't at least have taken the roof off of this house if the rest of the area was simply wiped away. Definitely Photoshopped. But that's what you get with "unedited" news - no verification.
Thanks GG... living in a tornado prone area and seeing and being in a few, I am well aware of their characteristics. Same with hurricanes. Maybe I generalized the point I was trying to make, but I have seen stranger things.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #24
Executive Chef

That particular picture on the blog doesn't look anything like the pictures I've seen. I saw pictures that were verified by legitimate news sources and it was one house surrounded by total devistation. That picture doesn't look like what I say, the house is too shiney from what I saw but I do believe that one house survived everything with a lot of devistation around it.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Photoshopped.

If you look closer, it does look like the home is more pixelated than the rest of the land. Not only that, but if you think about it scientifically, there is not way a protectional shield could have saved it.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #26
Executive Chef

I don't know when the before picture was taken - it could have been much earlier and the upper deck had been painted between then and when Ike hit. I do know that I saw the "after" of that house many times in the days following Ike. Not just this picture, but in video footage on the news. It absolutely was the only house standing in that immediate area. It is mind boggling.

Storms are very strange. My mother's house lost her entire wooden fence and so did a many, many others in her area. But it was very strange looking to see some totally down, with the posts completely uprooted, and others right next to them standing with no damage. Also roofs. We saw many brand new subdivisions where the roofs were completely torn off and the house right next door, the roof was intact. These were very new areas so the roofs were obviously the exact same age and put on by the same builder.