Think this is real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
Blog

Supposedly the only house standing for miles after Ike hit. To me it looks very much like a computer image or model pasted on top of a different picture. And the "real" house before the damage has a brown deck on the right side of the photo, but the damaged house has a white one. I don't think it would be hard to find those house photos on the internet and doctor them up.

I'm happy to admit I'm wrong though, if somehow they are proved to be real.

I believe it is a real story based on the f/u stories I have seen about it. You have seen where tornados have wiped out entire neighborhoods and one house is left untouched. The f/u stories I have read stated that the house was still compromised even though it is still standing.

I believe it is a real story based on the f/u stories I have seen about it. You have seen where tornados have wiped out entire neighborhoods and one house is left untouched. The f/u stories I have read stated that the house was still compromised even though it is still standing.

It's definitely compromised!!! It's just odd how the right-hand deck is now painted where before it wasn't.

Tornadoes are relatively small areas of high-speed winds that bop around, while hurricanes can cover hundreds of miles, and in Ike's case, did. When it made landfall, it covered the entire Texas coast: IKE Graphics Archive

I find it really hard to believe that a storm that size wouldn't at least have taken the roof off of this house if the rest of the area was simply wiped away. Definitely Photoshopped. But that's what you get with "unedited" news - no verification.

From what I heard on the Weather Channel yesterday morning the house was rebuit after the last hurricane came through. They spent lots of $$ to build it using new technology and materials to make it withstand a Categoty 5 hurricane.

I'm one of those who have been hunkering down in Houston. About half the power in my neighborhood has been restored, including mine.Yesterday I saw that picture done by local news crews who've done flyovers, so I'm thinking it must be right.

Yes, new construction. I'm not familiar with Galveston code. The past several years building a home that can withstand a Cat 5 has been an attractive selling point.

It did lose it's upper most deck of p.t. lumber, some balisters, lattice, the fountain on ground level and some roof shingles.
And if you look at the area picture, it looks like a few more homes withstood the storm. (to the top and alittle to the left)

Give me 5 minutes and I can put anything on that landscape.

Same here :) I've put people into photos, and taken them out (and I don't mean cropping them out), and the people I show them to can't tell :cool:

Although, since someone mentioned a hurricane-proof house, I did see one in the Florida Keys that claims to be hurricane-proof - if I remember right, it's an historic ranger station. Can't remember exactly where. It has vertical joists (I guess you'd call them that) that are sunk into concrete in the ground and then attach to the ceiling/roof with huge bolts, to hold the roof on. It's been a while, so I've forgotten the other features it has.

I would hope that any respectful photographer would not photoshop anything!

It would ruin his reputation, wouldn't it?

Well, take a look at the site - it boasts that the news is "Unedited. Unfiltered." To me, that means unverified :LOL: Like any other blog, anyone can say anything they want, whether it's true or not. As my dad always said when I was growing up, "Don't believe everything you read." Or everything you see.

I'm finding it hard to believe, looking at the totally flattened area surrounding this house, that virtually nothing is damaged. I don't think it's possible for this to happen. EVERYTHING gone and this house is left with almost no damage at all and intact? Hmmm someone is using some clever photo tricks.

I'm finding it hard to believe, looking at the totally flattened area surrounding this house, that virtually nothing is damaged. I don't think it's possible for this to happen. EVERYTHING gone and this house is left with almost no damage at all and intact? Hmmm someone is using some clever photo tricks.

The house sustained severe damage DQ - look much closer!!!!

The only thing I question is the coloring of that upper deck on the right. And that house is NOT the only house standing.

The woman's sister responded already about that house on a website. It was destroyed after Rita and they had it rebuilt to withstand a category 5 storm.

The house sustained severe damage DQ - look much closer!!!!

The only thing I question is the coloring of that upper deck on the right. And that house is NOT the only house standing.

The picture was probably taken when the new deck was built and had since been painted.

Back
Top Bottom