"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Cook

Question Thinking about quitting smoking again. Any tips from ex-smokers?

I smoke 20-30 sticks a day.Spend $30 a month at the most on ciggs.I tried the electric cigg,hurt my throat pretty bad.I think my biggest problem is the will to quit.I have some,but not much.I turned 24 not long ago.Been a regular smoker since I was 14.What has helped you workup enough will to quit & not smoke again?
So far I tried hanging up pictures of people with cancer from tobacco use all around my room.Watching 2hr+ documentaries about cancer & tobacco.Chantix,my body didn't like it.Had bad side effects.Tried a few other things,still went back to smoking.I thought about getting a vaporizer so it won't be quite as harmful.I think it's more then just the nicotine that keeps me going back to smoking.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Just be happy you don't live in Ontario. Smokes are 10 bucks a pack. That would cost you 300 bucks a month. It costs too much to kill yourself here.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
I smoke 20-30 sticks a day.Spend $30 a month at the most on ciggs.I tried the electric cigg,hurt my throat pretty bad.I think my biggest problem is the will to quit.I have some,but not much.I turned 24 not long ago.Been a regular smoker since I was 14.What has helped you workup enough will to quit & not smoke again?
So far I tried hanging up pictures of people with cancer from tobacco use all around my room.Watching 2hr+ documentaries about cancer & tobacco.Chantix,my body didn't like it.Had bad side effects.Tried a few other things,still went back to smoking.I thought about getting a vaporizer so it won't be quite as harmful.I think it's more then just the nicotine that keeps me going back to smoking.
The pictures are not helping, take them down. Put more time in between cigarettes, only allow yourself to smoke in certain spots at certain times.

Even after two years, I am still looking forward to the next smoke...and I have it, in a plastic bag with a lighter. It's there if I really want it.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

Go back to the electronic cigarettes, there's no reason you can't find a liquid that won't "hurt your throat". Come on, now. It's the answer for you and everyone around you. I had my last "tobacco fire lit cigarette" Oct 4th, 2011 after smoking cigarettes for over 40 years. Do I still miss "real cigarettes"? Yep, I do, but I'd never go back when there is an alternative to being a social outcast, not to mention saving my life.
Nicotine itself (without the smoke) is about as harmful as caffeine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Go back to the electronic cigarettes, there's no reason you can't find a liquid that won't "hurt your throat". Come on, now. It's the answer for you and everyone around you. I had my last "tobacco fire lit cigarette" Oct 4th, 2011 after smoking cigarettes for over 40 years. Do I still miss "real cigarettes"? Yep, I do, but I'd never go back when there is an alternative to being a social outcast, not to mention saving my life.
Nicotine itself (without the smoke) is about as harmful as caffeine.
I agree, Kayelle. The ecigs come in different strengths. Go lower strength. I still smoke, but find the ecigs get me through hours at airports. I introduced a friend to ecigs after she had an asthmatic health scare and had to quit, and now she uses them exclusively and loves them. I need to quit too, and will do it with the ecigs when I'm ready.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

My stepmom said what helped her quite (6mnts no cigs now) was taking a walk when she would usually smoke and rewarding herself for it also.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think the heart attack the day AFTER I quit had a huge impact on my future choices...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
Head Chef

You can only do it for yourself, and if horror stories don't scare you nothing will . Except horror stories are true where smoking is concerned . Would suggest you start by looking at the statistics for lung cancer and your chances of survival . Fancy living on one lung ? Well only if you are fit enough to withstand such an op. Chances are you wouldn't be fit enough for surgery. Here in the UK smoking kills more people than breast cancer or ovarian cancer . It receives the least funding for research because its seen as preventable ie stop smoking in the first place . It's a killer for sure . Good luck if you fancy playing Russian roulette with your life .
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

You are still very young. If you do quit, you will get a plethera of support right here. Good luck.

It is winter. Everytime you want a cigarette, go outside to smoke. Even when you are in your own home. It is no fun going outside when the temps are hovering around zero degrees. Leave your cigarettes outside your home.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Wine Guy

You're looking for a tip? Here it is: you have to WANT to quit. By saying you don't have the "will to quit", you've already given up.

I smoked for 28 years (started when I was 12) and quitting smoking was one of the easiest things I ever did, but only because it was what I wanted. Thirteen years ago, on the first day of the new millennium, both my wife and I quit smoking cold turkey. We got out of bed that morning, and threw out all the cigarettes, ashtrays, and every crutch around us that would give us an excuse to start again. What followed was about a week of pure Hell (we're probably lucky we didn't divorce ), but we stood our ground and neither one of us has had a cigarette since. I can't speak for my wife, but I don't miss it one single bit.

My incentive was watching both of my once healthy parents wither away from heart disease, premature old age, and (in my dad's case) emphysema. Smoking literally sucks the life out of you over time and I didn't want that to happen to me. My wife had her own incentives.

If you really want to quit, my advice is to set a "quit date" sometime in the future. Make it a date that's important to you - a birthday, anniversary, first day of a new month, whatever. And then stick to it. Every time you want a cigarette, just tell yourself you're stronger than the addiction. It won't be easy, but it will get easier. The first 3-4 days is the worst. After that, it only gnaws at you occasionally.

Good luck.

Tags
tips