This American Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Do you listen to this radio show on NPR hosted by Ira Glass? I really love listening to it. I find the format of the show so interesting and the topics, even when they seem like they could be boring, are riveting.

Well now they finally have a podcast. I have been waiting for this for a long long time.

If you love this show as much as I do and want to sign up for the podcast then you can do that here.

I love it, especially now that it is on here on Saturdays. I get my car talk, wait wait, Ira, a nd the out of the box.

For all the foodies, Splendid table is great too!

I heard Ray talking about it a few weeks ago if I am not mistaken. COuld be in the Not too distant future...

I also love gyroscope and world cafe. Afro pop world wide is good stuff too.

I love the diversity and humor that always gets worked into This American Life. The scope of stories never ceases to amaze me.

TATTRAT said:
I love it, especially now that it is on here on Saturdays. I get my car talk, wait wait, Ira, a nd the out of the box.

For all the foodies, Splendid table is great too!

AGREED. Plus the show from Wisconsin that I can't remember. Wait Wait is my fav.

TATTRAT said:
Prarie home Companion, with Garrison Keyler(sp*)?

wait, i think that is from St.Paul Minnisota....hrmm

I looked it up. It's called "Whaddaya Know?" The audience answers back -- "not much, you?" Not sure if it's still on. It was an interactive show.

Also Only a Game and Weekend Edition (especially the puzzle part!)

One of the best shows on the air waves==radio or TV. His interviews after Katrina are absolutely incredible. None of the blame game. REAL interviews with REAL people with REAL things to say about their human condition. Go back and listen. Especially to the woman who floated around her home for several days before being rescued. It is not only funny but a testament to a person who found out who she was because of this catastrophe.

GB said:
Do you listen to this radio show on NPR hosted by Ira Glass? I really love listening to it. I find the format of the show so interesting and the topics, even when they seem like they could be boring, are riveting.

Well now they finally have a podcast. I have been waiting for this for a long long time.

If you love this show as much as I do and want to sign up for the podcast then you can do that here.

what is the format of the show? What type of topics are discussed? I searched for that radio show here in Maine, but I didnt see any results. I love listening to talk radio shows.

The show basically picks a topic then offers three(usually) very honest, yet diverse, and real stories or segments on the topic of the day. It is always amazing how some of the most obscure things can stir interest and passion.

and just check your locall NPR station listing online.
amber said:
what is the format of the show? What type of topics are discussed? I searched for that radio show here in Maine, but I didnt see any results. I love listening to talk radio shows.

I downloaded the first podcast yesterday and we listened to it on the ride home last night. The first act had us laughing so hard I thought I was going to have to pull the car over. The next two acts were OK, but not as great as a lot of the others I have heard. Anyway, I am just so excited that I can now catch this show every week.

You would love it sush. Each week is something different. This past week the topic was Recordings made for people in which only one person was supposed to hear the recording.

The first act was about an answering machine message that a mom left her son at Columbia. It was hillarious. The message was forwarded to just about every student there at the time. It was something that anyone who was a student there at the time would know about, remember, and probably laugh as soon as you mentioned it.

The second act was about a soldier in the Gulf war who carried a tape recorder with him into each battle. He would turn it on anytime he feared that there might be the possibility that he could be killed. The tapes were for his wife so that she would have some closure in case the worst happened. She would not have to wonder what happened.

The third act was about a man who went to Italy on vacation. He met a woman who he fell in love with and they spent the entire time he was there together. When he got back to the states he would send her letters on tape. They are now married and living in Italy.

You can check out the website here and download the shows onto your computer if you want.

Each week is something completely different, but it is usually riveting.

Back
Top Bottom