"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Cook

This is awesome!

Timelapse Montage on Vimeo

Especially the cosmos.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Wow that is so cool. I love the parts where you see the shooting stars for a split second.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Master Chef

Very cool. I love the way the camera tracks the landscape, adding a whole new dimension. I love to see his tracking set up.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

That was amazing! And the music was a great addition.

Barbara
Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Cook

Every time I see vids of the stars in our cosmos, I thrill inside. The music just made that video. I played it over and over again. When I watched it the first time, I was tearful. Stargazing whether for real or on video really moves me. One day I will be an astronomer.

On holiday to Greece I took my portable Meade telescope with its Autostar keypad. It opened up a whole new vista, a carpet of stars which made me feel like dancing. Viewing them also kept me up way late, and though everyone had gone to bed I did not feel alone. Because Grandma who inspired astronomy in me was one more star in the night sky.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

That's beautiful Moon Flower, what your Grandmother instilled in you.
What type and size is your portable scope?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
That's beautiful Moon Flower, what your Grandmother instilled in you.
What type and size is your portable scope?
The portable Meade scope is the EXT 80AT and has an 80 mm objective lens and cost 249.00 I bought it with my earnings from Mum's brasserie. It was the first big purchase I ever made. (I certainly know the value of money!) It weighs I reckon, about 20 lbs. It is a lovely, lovely scope and I recommend it you.

Grandma Celeste left me an Orion Light Bridge 16 inch diameter reflector. It is built of part carbon fibre and has a handy plossl fixture beneath. It is manufactured by SkyQuest. Also a 12 inch of the same. Next, a Meade Light Bridge truss, a 16 incher.

But the real biggy is a CDK24 made by PlaneWave Instruments which Gran had made to special order. It is a 24 inch f/6.8 optically corrected Dall-Kirkham astrograph telescope and the beast weighs a ton. It had to be winched onto a truck and taken to my Aunt Emily’s where my family helped build an observatory. Its field of view is incredible! No curvature across its entire 70 mm field of view. There is no off-axis coma or any optical aberrations whatsoever.

I hope you didn't think I was being arrogant when I said I will be an astronomer. I am really just a humble average sort of girl and all too aware of the sheer cost of what I have inherited.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

Holy macro, that's quite a collection of mirrors and optics!
I'm no longer into astronomy, but up until a few years ago I did some astro-photography and spent many moonless weekend nights at high elevation dark sites.
I've since sold off my gear except for a couple of large objective binoculars which I bring out from time to time.
Must be awesome to have access to your family's observatory. Nice...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Holy macro, that's quite a collection of mirrors and optics!
I'm no longer into astronomy, but up until a few years ago I did some astro-photography and spent many moonless weekend nights at high elevation dark sites.
I've since sold off my gear except for a couple of large objective binoculars which I bring out from time to time.
Must be awesome to have access to your family's observatory. Nice...
I spend a lot of time at my Aunt's because I study there when not at part time uni. She helps school me, but when all my coursework is done - then I can use the scopes. I am up late now because of having extra coursework to do to make up for me being away on holiday. But I love the hard work because astronomy and physics with math fascinates me. I can memorise formulae quite easily now, but calculus can be evil.

Do you have image stabilizing binos? Mum uses a pair of Canons, x12. They are good for stargazing, but heavy after 10 minutes. Its tripod mounted but needs to be.

Astro photography is a super hobby. But make sure if you have excellent imagery that you copyright-stamp them when posting on the internet.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Flower View Post

Do you have image stabilizing binos? Mum uses a pair of Canons, x12. They are good for stargazing, but heavy after 10 minutes. Its tripod mounted but needs to be.
No, I don't have IS binos. But my Fujinons are wide field, the only thing is I really can't use them in the city because they pick up all the light pollution and washes out the image.
On my 15x70's and 25x70's they must be tripod mounted but very awkward to use when pointing near zenith. My Miyauchi binos (sorry I sold those) had 45 diagonals and interchangeable EP's, and were much more comfortable for extended viewing.