"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

It's the worst thing there is, Jan.

You think because you pray for them, that they will be safe. His eye is on the sparrow, after all.
But sometimes, despite all your prayers and protection, the unspeakable happens.
The first thing you think is, "Why couldn't it have been me, instead?!"

You go on because you have no choice. I ended up with a very traumatized little 3 year old boy to raise, and his psychotic, junky father to deal with. But my husband was by my side evry step of the way, and I'm pretty tough old dame myself, so we did what we had to do.
My preacher and the chief of police sat here in my kitchen, and told me that if the guy came through my door, to shoot, and and keep shooting until he quit moving.
They said sometimes these people don't even they've been shot.

It never stops hurting, but after a time, you learn to live with the pain.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #12
Master Chef

By the way, this spring, I lost a young woman who was like a daughter to me, my youngest daughter's best friend. I'd known her since she was 8 years old. She even worked for me in the greenhouse for several years.
She was only 33 years old.
Some loony she got mixed up with beat her to death with a hammer.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
am I the only one who is tired of the whole thing... ?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Weed, you are a kind and gentle man whom I admire for many things, but on this one and others like it I like to call a spade a spade. Pedophiles might eventually get their just desserts, but in the meantime someone's children are dead and/or mutilated and/or irrevocably harmed for the rest of their conscious life. I don't mind dealing with evil in the here and now.
I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I am all for punishment of the person who did the dispicable things to that little girl. And if he/she is caught, and guilt is proven, then that individual needs to pay for the crime, in the extreme. And as for prisons, except that criminals are placed in locked cells, life aboard an aircraft carrier can be more demanding and less comfortable, with 12 hour workdays, seven days a week. Bunks consist of a steel slab with a 2 inch thick cotton matress on top of it, and cotton sheets with a scratchy wool blanket. And the bunks are stacked four high, with just enough room to roll over without touching the bunk above you with your shoulders.

I think prisons are way to concerned with the comfort of the prisoners. Anyone who does a crime desearving of prison should not get a comfortable place to live, with basketball courts, weight-lifting equipment, etc.

And if they are pedophiles, I think life in prison with hard-case men who hate pedophiles would be more punishment than death.

I son't know where I stand on the death penalty simply because innocent people have been put down only to have the real killer found after the execution.

I do believe in life after death and a judgement, but I also believe in the justice system, to a point. I believe that it is one of the greatest systems on the planet, in spite of its shortcommings.

And I too hope that if this man is the real pedophile, that he is punished with whatever maximum sentence is the hardest for him to bear.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I don't know who killed that little girl, but I do have a comment to make:

I've watched the film clips of her from the Beauty Pageant Videos, and I think it's reprehensible that a mother would display her child in the way Mrs. Ramsey did. She was advertising the child in a very adult manner, and the father allowed it.
Amen, Connie. I'm sorry their child was murdered, but the way they (and any other parents like them) were pimping her at such a young age is appalling. And even more shame on the people who promote, support, and watch such events.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Weed - understood. Sorry if I came down too hard on you in particular. The whole issue of pedophilia makes my skin crawl and unfortunately I took it out on you a little bit.