"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I was never a passionate fan of the 007 series, so I don't feel any particular drama about this changeover. Though I was quite dubious of their choice of the new Bond initially, I have to give it to this guy that he has that cool wickedness which is also a signature of James Bond, and which Pierce Brosnan certainly lacked. Pierce was handsome all right, but in a way that is too ordinary, he could well have been one of those cute, mild mannered flight attendant or waiter you may encounter now and then in the course of everyday life.

And Ishbel, I can relate to your sentiment, when you read all the books, you already make up your own image in your mind of the protagonist and the world surrounding him, and the reproduction by some other people just don't fit into your imagination. I am the same way with Sherlock Holmes.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #42
Head Chef

I liked Daniel Craig both in Road to Perdition and Munich. Yes I was appalled at him playing JB at first but from the movie trailers he looks earthy, tough and smouldering. That scene of him coming out of the sea in those retro trunks!!! Bet he's started a new trend in men's swimwear. I've always found everyone else after Sean Connery a bit too suave or too handsome or in the case of Pierce Brosnan, even sissyish. I can't wait to watch the new movie.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:24 AM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
...I had read every JB novel by the time I was 15. I just didn't think the films could hold a candle to the books! However, I bet if I read them now, I'd be appalled at how hackneyed and out of date they would appear to me!
DON'T DO IT!! i gave a rereading to a couple of books i had read in highschool that i had thought to be esoteric future classics. big mistake.

sometimes it's better to live in lala land!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:03 AM   #44
Sous Chef

I must say that this is the quickest growing thread that I've ever seen, every time I read one page there's another tacked on the end of it.
I'll watch any movie with Sean Connery in it, love his acting.
Now listen you blokes, stop picking on that Aussie actor who played the part, I can't even remember his name ---- that's how good a job he did.

Anyhows, so much for James Bond 007, check this out for who killed them at the box office this weekend, Go Aussie go
http://au.news.yahoo.com/061119/2/11hq7.html?f=mv
Old 11-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #45
Head Chef

Hello Chopstix. This looks like it might be your kind of review (and perhaps Mudbug's given the boys who work at the hot tub ):

http://film.guardian.co.uk/bond/stor...949505,00.html
Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

I read the review, Snoop. yep, you're right!
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 AM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Hello Chopstix. This looks like it might be your kind of review (and perhaps Mudbug's given the boys who work at the hot tub ):

http://film.guardian.co.uk/bond/stor...949505,00.html
Thanks Snoop Puss, I'm watching the movie tomorrow night so I'll hold off reading this review until afterwards. I like to judge a movie myself first before reading the reviews.

My husband who's a die hard JB fan (he's read all the books, he's got all the DVDs and complete CD collection of all the theme songs) is the very first person I thought would trash the new Bond. But no, he likes what he sees in the trailer... We'll see tomorrow...
Old 11-23-2006, 02:31 AM   #48
Head Chef

Saw the movie last night. It was great. DH said it ranks up there with the best JB movies. I thought Daniel Craig was awesome in the role...
Old 11-23-2006, 03:52 AM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Saw the movie last night. It was great. DH said it ranks up there with the best JB movies. I thought Daniel Craig was awesome in the role...
Thanks for the succint review. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote