This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a picture of Vedauwoo in Wyoming, between Laramie and Cheyenne. It was our playground when I was a kid and I have climbed all of it, from the easy trails to the rappelling faces.

Vedauwoo-flickR-User-ampersandyslexia-300x200.jpg

This is a picture of Vedauwoo in Wyoming, between Laramie and Cheyenne. It was our playground when I was a kid and I have climbed all of it, from the easy trails to the rappelling faces.

When I hear about kids having a childhood like yours, I think of all the city mothers who hover over their kids protecting them from exploring the world they live in. I loved going on hikes as a child. We had a small brook behind the farm about one mile into the woods. My parents didn't even know it was here. We used to stop and get a drink from it. One day I brought a small pail with me, and brought some of the water home. My mother tasted it and since (from what I understand) our property line went back two miles into the woods, the brook belongs to us. She tried to talk my father into digging a well, so we wouldn't have to have town water.

If we hadn't been explorers of the world we lived in, my parents would have never known about that little brook. :angel:

So would I. But my daughter won't take me. She thinks it is too far away from my doctors. :angel:
I'm not good with heat so with my huge collection of winter warmer clothing and boots and Dad's de-mob woollen underwear circa 1946, Boston would suit me fine. Expensive to heat the apartment though

oh, great pics, cheryl.

Thank you, bucky. :)
It sounds like you're in media production (I may have that wrong), so you may be interested in this story....:LOL: Anyway, as daughter, grandson and I were walking around the rock formations, we came across a travel trailer out on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with generators, large umbrellas, and tables full of covered food and drinks. We looked further and found a movie scene being filmed. We didn't recognize any of the actors, but daughter asked one of the production crew members if they needed any extras. LOL

Alabama Hills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Oh, that's beautiful, princess. I would have LOVED to have that in my own backyard as a kid. Or even now. :)

WOW!
I love mountains and rock formations ... having grown up at the base of the Koolau Mountain Range, some of the most breathtaking waterfalls after it rained, for sure!
On our first road trip after moving to the 'mainland', we went through the Salt River Canyon, considered the 'little grand canyon', a recommended scenic drive from Globe to Show Low Arizona...(we wanted to go to Winslow Arizona)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_River_Canyon_Wilderness
OH MY GAWD!! drop dead fabulous! the rock formations and the way the rock has been carved by the wind and rain and grit, MAN! I'll go looking for some photos of that, I have them somewhere... saw my first Bald Eagle in the wild there in Show Low...

Last edited:
Oh, that's beautiful, princess. I would have LOVED to have that in my own backyard as a kid. Or even now. :)

That is actually the easy side of the climb. Wish I could find pictures of the picnic areas on the inside of the rocks, the rock pile is in a horseshoe shape in the middle of the Eastern foothills.

WOW!
I love mountains and rock formations ... having grown up at the base of the Koolau Mountain Range, some of the most breathtaking waterfalls after it rained, for sure!
On our first road trip after moving to the 'mainland', we went through the Salt River Canyon, considered the 'little grand canyon', a recommended scenic drive from Globe to Show Low Arizona...(we wanted to go to Winslow Arizona)
Salt River Canyon Wilderness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OH MY GAWD!! drop dead fabulous! the rock formations and the way the rock has been carved by the wind and rain and grit, MAN! I'll go looking for some photos of that, I have them somewhere... saw my first Bald Eagle in the wild there in Show Low...

We have Bald Eagles out at the Quabbin Reservoir. They started out with just five mating pairs. Today at last count they were more than 100 mating pairs. The reservoir is in the western part of the state, and now some of them have been seen a little east of the middle of the state. They are expanding their territory. I hope they find the head of the Charles River. It is loaded with fish, and an excellent source of food for them. And there are plenty of woody areas for them to nest. I love Bald Eagles. :angel:

Last edited:
As it's quite a nice day I thought you might enjoy a walk round our Memorial Park to see what the Friends of Marple Memorial Park have been up to since they took over the running of the park from Stockport Council.

The house and grounds were donated to the local council after the first world war by the Carver family who were local cotton mill owners, as the heirs had been killed in the war. The house became the local council offices and the park is open to anyone who wishes to use it. The war memorial stands opposite the house. The library is in the park and the Senior Citizens hall and the Scout HQ. There's a bowling green and a skate board park, a children's playground.

One of the Carvers' claims to fame is that their widowed daughter-in-law later married Field Marshall Montgomery of the North African campaign and D-Day fame in the second world war.

Welcome from Friends of Marple Memorial Park

Last edited:
MC, I have always said that as long as the Brits have their flower gardens and tea there will always be an England. :angel:

since i was born in brooklyn and work in manhattan, here's a picture of my bridge. (i can sell it to you cheap if you're inyerested. i'll give you a good deal):

20140526_154024.jpg

this was taken from a cruise around manhattan last summer. the freedom tower:

20140526_155252.jpg

sadly, it still isn't the twin towers.

click on the pics to see them a little better.

Last edited:
BT,

You've got a nice bridge for sale. :rolleyes:

I've got 2 that sit side by side and I'd be more then happy to work out a deal. ;)

I only need 1 and they only collect tolls one way. I'll give you a bargain on the one that collects tolls. :)

Mine are 4.3 miles long. How long are your's? :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Bay_Bridge.jpg
    Bay_Bridge.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 215
K-girl, I used to drive across them every day years ago when I worked on the eastern shore.
But now I'm of your DH's opinion. Too many nutzo's on the road these days.
What was fun was walking across the older one. Don't know if they still do it but they used to close one down for a day every year and let people walk across. You never saw me next to the rail but the view was spectacular standing in the middle of the bay.

I was born and raised in Kiev, Ukraine. We use to live right in the center of the city, a 2 minute walk from famous, or maybe infamous Maidan. Here is a picture before it got destroyed during unrest of last year.

The street I lived is going up the hill, and it is between the second and third building on the right.

Attachments

• kiev-ukraine-.jpg
    kiev-ukraine-.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 196
DH and I have been across both (or should I say all three) of those bridges, he dislikes driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge the most. I thought it was pretty cool, in Hawaii we don't have bridges like that!

No, you just have places like Pali Pass where you have to drive through the clouds because you are so far up. The first time I went over that pass, I was terrified. We had to come to a real slow crawl because the clouds were so thick that day. :angel:

I was born and raised in Kiev, Ukraine. We use to live right in the center of the city, a 2 minute walk from famous, or maybe infamous Maidan. Here is a picture before it got destroyed during unrest of last year.

The street I lived is going up the hill, and it is between the second and third building on the right.

How beautiful!
Charlie, you must miss home.

No, you just have places like Pali Pass where you have to drive through the clouds because you are so far up. The first time I went over that pass, I was terrified. We had to come to a real slow crawl because the clouds were so thick that day. :angel:

Addie, you need to go back again and drive the H-3 towards Kaneohe,
OH MY GOSH!
I wish I had better photos of that view as you come out of that tunnel, but the City&CountyofHonolulu have decided that it's not safe for everyone to be pulling over and taking pictures going at that rate of speed, you'd think that the Corp of Engineers would have thought to build a pull out, BUT NO!
We watched it being built from our back deck, DH got to be a part of that, thrilling really, and very dangerous up there and talk about driving through the clouds, WOW!!!
Next time we go home I'll be sure to talk DH into stopping for a photo-opt
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom