This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes taxi, yes I do... I went to a school for children of Hawaiian decent and it was mandatory to learn the language, culture, etc.
The school is funded by the largest/richest trust in the entire world, started by the last Hawaiian Monarch and her husband. I am eternally grateful everyday of my life to have been privileged to have had that opportunity, the trust pays for half of each child's education, not to mention that the trust offers many scholarships for higher education.
But, I do go on ...

Yes, please go on Kgirl. I find this fascinating.:flowers:

Kgirl, I loved living there, but after a year I knew the end of my marriage was near. Shortly after coming back home to Boston, he died in Hawaii. He is buried there. He moved to Haleiwa after I came home and lived with a woman. Fine with me. She buried him. She let my son know four months later. :angel:

yes taxi, yes I do... I went to a school for children of Hawaiian decent and it was mandatory to learn the language, culture, etc.
The school is funded by the largest/richest trust in the entire world, started by the last Hawaiian Monarch and her husband. I am eternally grateful everyday of my life to have been privileged to have had that opportunity, the trust pays for half of each child's education, not to mention that the trust offers many scholarships for higher education.
But, I do go on ...

When Greg started school there he went to the Lincoln School. We lived at the Domino Apartments right across the street from the Punahu School, which was started by missionaries from Boston for their children. Since we came from Boston, Poo was eligible to attend. I really wanted Poo to get the feel of living in Hawaii. And I saw the snobbishness of the kids that came out the doors each day. I didn't want a child like that. He had already learned the Chukah sign. And I was fine with that. I was quite all right with him becoming immersed with the life style. :angel:

When Greg started school there he went to the Lincoln School. We lived at the Domino Apartments right across the street from the Punahu School, which was started by missionaries from Boston for their children. Since we came from Boston, Poo was eligible to attend. I really wanted Poo to get the feel of living in Hawaii. And I saw the snobbishness of the kids that came out the doors each day. I didn't want a child like that. He had already learned the Chukah sign. And I was fine with that. I was quite all right with him becoming immersed with the life style. :angel:

Addie, did you mean Dominis West Apartments or 1710 Punahou street;

shaka braddah.jpg
Shaka Braddah ?

Addie, did you mean Dominis West Apartments or 1710 Punahou street;

View attachment 23988
Shaka Braddah ?

Yup! The Bus stopped right outside the side entrance. I used to catch it across the street at the school on my way to my job as a Menihuni. Yes, I am that short. Enough so that I fit into their uniforms. I worked for just a short while in that job. I am not cut out to have the patience with tourists that thought I was so cute. From that job I got a job transcribing notes for a doctor that performed autopsies on stillborn or babies that died in infancy. I would take my recorder down to Ala Moana Beach and sit there transcribing until it was time to go home in time for Poo to get home. Or I would go sit out by the pool at the YW just down the street with a bunch of the women and transcrible.

One of the good things about living there is if we lived across the street, Poo would have gone to a different school. But instead he got to attend the Lincoln School that all the kids of the professors from UOH kids went to. So they were given a slightly more advanced education. And Poo was smart enough to fit right in. :angel:

Thank you so much. I know what Meli Kalikimaka means, but what does He Makana mean?

Pirate is sitting here watching me listen with the headphones on. Wants to know why my eyes are tearing up. The music and harmony are so beautiful. I have this earmarked and will be coming back quite often.

You were very fortunate to be a part of this. :angel:

Thank you so much. I know what Meli Kalikimaka means, but what does He Makana mean?

Pirate is sitting here watching me listen with the headphones on. Wants to know why my eyes are tearing up. The music and harmony are so beautiful. I have this earmarked and will be coming back quite often.

You were very fortunate to be a part of this. :angel:

He Makana means A Gift and yes, I did participate :blush:

Oh my gosh Kgirl, I enjoyed that so very much..just beautiful, especially the final number, with the girls in the green and black dresses. Yes, I did watch it all. ;) Were you also a performer? What a wonderful school, and how many students attended then and now?

Why yes, I did have to perform, back in the day of course. It was and is mandatory that we learn the language, dance, music and various instruments, culture, history, religion, the entire kit and caboodle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamehameha_Schools
As to the school it self, here's a snippet from Wikipedia.
My graduating class was only about 350 kids.
I attend this school from Kindergarten through 12th grade, (what was called "a lifer")
what an experience! I received an excellent education.
I think I thank my Mother at least once a month to this day,
for providing both myself and my younger sister with such
a wonderful education.
We would come home from school and our parents would
always ask us at the dinner table each night, "what did you learn today?"
Well, neither of them spoke a lick of Hawaiian, so ... homework
was some times a challenge. :)

@Claire I'm from not very far from the Kaneohe Bay Marine Base, our nephew served there for three years with his wife an our grand nephew. That's where I'm from, born and raised, my first language is Hawaiian/Pidgin ... so ...

Kgirl, are you Hawaiian by ancestry? Poo had started using Pidgin that he learned from his playmates in school and at the beach at Ala Moana where there were no tourists. He loved going to the zoo down by Diamond Head. I used to find a bench and let him loose. I also loved the concerts with the Hawaiian Royal Band. :angel:

Last edited:
Kgirl, are you Hawaiian by ancestry? Poo had started using Pidgin that he learned from his playmates in school and at the beach at Ala Moana where there were no tourists. He loved going to the zoo down by Diamond Head. I used to find a bench and let him loose. I also loved the concerts with the Hawaiian Royal Band. :angel:

Well, yes, of course Miss Addie, Kamehameha ONLY allows Hawaiian children.

Now, I hope that no one is confusing pidgin and the Hawaiian language... two totally different things dontcha know...
and Miss Addie, tourist are everywhere...
I loved it when they would be on my bus going back over to the other side of the island, they wanted to know as much as they could in that short ride. Such a deal on The Bus (forreal! That's the name of the bus system in Honolulu), $2.50 one way, take the #55 from Ala Moana Center and go all the way around the island in an afternoon, and be sure to ask alot of questions of any "local" that you can engage in conversation.

Ya know Kgirl, with all of our travels in the world, I honestly think the Hawaiian people are our favorites. Tourists who go there are just captivated by not only the beautiful place, but by the traditions and genuine warmth of the people. Maybe my connection and love for Hawaii also has something to do with when I stand on my shore, the next stop is Hawaii. Hawaii will always be in my heart.

Mahalo for that great video..what talent, what music.

Well, yes, of course Miss Addie, Kamehameha ONLY allows Hawaiian children.
Now, I hope that no one is confusing pidgin and the Hawaiian language... two totally different things dontcha know...
and Miss Addie, tourist are everywhere...
I loved it when they would be on my bus going back over to the other side of the island, they wanted to know as much as they could in that short ride. Such a deal on The Bus (forreal! That's the name of the bus system in Honolulu), $2.50 one way, take the #55 from Ala Moana Center and go all the way around the island in an afternoon, and be sure to ask alot of questions of any "local" that you can engage in conversation.

That was my understanding, but it has been 35+years since I have been there. A lot has escaped my memory bank. I would often take #55 with Poo up to Haleiwa to see the surfing when the surf was up. He wanted to go in the water so bad, but the volcanic rock was just too rough along with the surf. Ala Moana Beach was much safer for him. Then catch The Bus on its continuous journey back to Ala Moana Center so we could see Pearl Harbor and Pearl City.

Senior Moment! What was the name of the tourist place where a tourist could take The Bus that went up by and past UOH. That is where I worked for a short time as a Mehuni. I don't mean the Cultural Center on the North Shore. :angel:

Last edited:
Wow I can't believe that it's been almost 2 years since we started this thread and many photos were lost along the way.
Maybe folks could come back to re-enter their pics from home again?
Something about some "photo bucket" or whatever business; even all of my snaps of Kaneohe are gone, now I need to loo for them again!

photo (3).jpg

In the mean while, here's what happens every Friday evening in Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii, USA at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, on the Great Lawn next to The Rainbow Tower.

https://youtu.be/bnL0U5zJj9A

Mahalo, thanks Cheryl J for bringing this thread forward!

Back
Top Bottom