"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #181
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This is a picture of Vedauwoo in Wyoming, between Laramie and Cheyenne. It was our playground when I was a kid and I have climbed all of it, from the easy trails to the rappelling faces.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #182
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This is a picture of Vedauwoo in Wyoming, between Laramie and Cheyenne. It was our playground when I was a kid and I have climbed all of it, from the easy trails to the rappelling faces.

When I hear about kids having a childhood like yours, I think of all the city mothers who hover over their kids protecting them from exploring the world they live in. I loved going on hikes as a child. We had a small brook behind the farm about one mile into the woods. My parents didn't even know it was here. We used to stop and get a drink from it. One day I brought a small pail with me, and brought some of the water home. My mother tasted it and since (from what I understand) our property line went back two miles into the woods, the brook belongs to us. She tried to talk my father into digging a well, so we wouldn't have to have town water.

If we hadn't been explorers of the world we lived in, my parents would have never known about that little brook.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #183
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So would I. But my daughter won't take me. She thinks it is too far away from my doctors.
I'm not good with heat so with my huge collection of winter warmer clothing and boots and Dad's de-mob woollen underwear circa 1946, Boston would suit me fine. Expensive to heat the apartment though
Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #184
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh, great pics, cheryl.
Thank you, bucky.
It sounds like you're in media production (I may have that wrong), so you may be interested in this story.... Anyway, as daughter, grandson and I were walking around the rock formations, we came across a travel trailer out on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with generators, large umbrellas, and tables full of covered food and drinks. We looked further and found a movie scene being filmed. We didn't recognize any of the actors, but daughter asked one of the production crew members if they needed any extras. LOL

Alabama Hills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #185
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Oh, that's beautiful, princess. I would have LOVED to have that in my own backyard as a kid. Or even now.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #186
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
WOW!
I love mountains and rock formations ... having grown up at the base of the Koolau Mountain Range, some of the most breathtaking waterfalls after it rained, for sure!
On our first road trip after moving to the 'mainland', we went through the Salt River Canyon, considered the 'little grand canyon', a recommended scenic drive from Globe to Show Low Arizona...(we wanted to go to Winslow Arizona)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Ri...yon_Wilderness
OH MY GAWD!! drop dead fabulous! the rock formations and the way the rock has been carved by the wind and rain and grit, MAN! I'll go looking for some photos of that, I have them somewhere... saw my first Bald Eagle in the wild there in Show Low...
Old 10-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #187
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh, that's beautiful, princess. I would have LOVED to have that in my own backyard as a kid. Or even now.
That is actually the easy side of the climb. Wish I could find pictures of the picnic areas on the inside of the rocks, the rock pile is in a horseshoe shape in the middle of the Eastern foothills.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #188
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
WOW!
I love mountains and rock formations ... having grown up at the base of the Koolau Mountain Range, some of the most breathtaking waterfalls after it rained, for sure!
On our first road trip after moving to the 'mainland', we went through the Salt River Canyon, considered the 'little grand canyon', a recommended scenic drive from Globe to Show Low Arizona...(we wanted to go to Winslow Arizona)
Salt River Canyon Wilderness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OH MY GAWD!! drop dead fabulous! the rock formations and the way the rock has been carved by the wind and rain and grit, MAN! I'll go looking for some photos of that, I have them somewhere... saw my first Bald Eagle in the wild there in Show Low...
We have Bald Eagles out at the Quabbin Reservoir. They started out with just five mating pairs. Today at last count they were more than 100 mating pairs. The reservoir is in the western part of the state, and now some of them have been seen a little east of the middle of the state. They are expanding their territory. I hope they find the head of the Charles River. It is loaded with fish, and an excellent source of food for them. And there are plenty of woody areas for them to nest. I love Bald Eagles.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #189
Executive Chef

As it's quite a nice day I thought you might enjoy a walk round our Memorial Park to see what the Friends of Marple Memorial Park have been up to since they took over the running of the park from Stockport Council.

The house and grounds were donated to the local council after the first world war by the Carver family who were local cotton mill owners, as the heirs had been killed in the war. The house became the local council offices and the park is open to anyone who wishes to use it. The war memorial stands opposite the house. The library is in the park and the Senior Citizens hall and the Scout HQ. There's a bowling green and a skate board park, a children's playground.

One of the Carvers' claims to fame is that their widowed daughter-in-law later married Field Marshall Montgomery of the North African campaign and D-Day fame in the second world war.

Welcome from Friends of Marple Memorial Park
Old 10-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #190
Chef Extraordinaire

MC, I have always said that as long as the Brits have their flower gardens and tea there will always be an England.

Tags
hometowns, photos, travel