This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a pretty good representation of what it's like here in Portsmouth, Virginia. It's a small city on the Elizabeth River near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard was established in 1800; that's where that aircraft carrier, the Harry S Truman, is going.

Attachments

• Portsmouth-downtown.jpg
    Portsmouth-downtown.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 285
Just to expand (brag) a little about my beloved California. Sitting where I do, I don't think there's anywhere else in the country where I could visit the ocean, mountains and desert in the same day. I often bless my parents wisdom for settling right here in this georgous piece of paradise, Ventura County, Ca.

I too am loving all the pictures.....more, more, more!!!!

Last edited:
though I am from Bermuda, I miss living on O'ahu, not a day goes by where I don't think about it. Hawai'i is the only place I've live in the U.S.A. that felt like another country. Bermuda aint' too shabby either, but Hawai'i is just such a feast for the senses.

Living in Northern Va, just outside of D.C. is fun, but I am a beach bum at heart, and there are NO beaches here.

Here are some of my shots from my time in the 808

From Pali lookout
2832455388_7e71f6da7e_b.jpg

the mokes
2825690773_5ec4e8432b_b.jpg

The view from the condo (ala moana and Hobron)
8906112546_89ba64d4f7_b.jpg

Rabbit island
2822876953_495a53ccd4_b.jpg

Temple Valley
2825796583_7ee08f2b2d_b.jpg

Pearl harbor
2825928347_f07121d738_b.jpg

and more. . .

Last edited:
WOW!

Thanks everyone for tossing your pennies into the fountain so to speak
The World, not just the USA is so diverse
There's so much to see, and this is one of the reasons that my husband and I left the middle of the Pacific Ocean for the middle of the Arizona desert. We can hop in our car and go ANYWHERE!

56875-albums998-picture5996.jpg

We STUFFED our car last September and took off on a month long road trip, Our Great Western Adventure, Utah, Idaho, Montana, South Dakata, Wyoming, Colorado and back to Arizona.
We had talked about this for many years prior to our move to the "mainland" and it was a BLAST!
This was for our 20th wedding anniversary
Our honeymoon was a month long car trip through the original 13 colonies
Can you tell we like to do?
Mr&Mrs DF called us midway through our trip, "did you kill each other yet? we could never do this"
We are not only marries, but we are each others best friend

When you work for the airlines for 47 years you fly to a LOT of places. Been to Bermuda and Hawaii and although I loved them both, I'd get island fever. I don't have too much praise for Atlanta because we have also lived in the foothills of the Cascades east of Seattle and right in the center of San Francisco. Our favorite place we ever lived? The Pine Lake Plateau in the foothills of the Cascades! We've been gone from there for 25 years and are still homesick. I lived about two blocks from San Francisco's Corona Heights and had a breathtaking view of the entire bay area from up there. Did I feel blessed living in these places? Yes, however I have appreciated and enjoyed every place I ever lived, even Vietnam.

Attachments

• Lake Sam fmTiger Mt.jpg
    Lake Sam fmTiger Mt.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Corona Heights.jpg
    Corona Heights.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 259
Just to expand (brag) a little about my beloved California. Sitting where I do, I don't think there's anywhere else in the country where I could visit the ocean, mountains and desert in the same day. I often bless my parents wisdom for settling right here in this georgous piece of paradise, Ventura County, Ca.

+1!! I may be partial but I do love California, too. :LOL:

Loving the pics and links...everyone has their own little bit of paradise! :wub:

Like I stated previously, Washington and Oregon have the same benefits. The whole of the West Coast does. :angel:

The English Lake District for Addie. Not as spectacular as the Rockies but not bad all the same.

Lake District National Park - Free photos (click photos to find out what they are.)

Thanks MC. As I stated a while back, my first husband grew up in Cockermouth, Cumberland County in the Lakes District. I showed the pics to The Pirate so he could see where his father started his life. He must have sat here for 15 minutes at least just looking at them. It is a beautiful part of the UK. :angel:

When you work for the airlines for 47 years you fly to a LOT of places. Been to Bermuda and Hawaii and although I loved them both, I'd get island fever. I don't have too much praise for Atlanta because we have also lived in the foothills of the Cascades east of Seattle and right in the center of San Francisco. Our favorite place we ever lived? The Pine Lake Plateau in the foothills of the Cascades! We've been gone from there for 25 years and are still homesick. I lived about two blocks from San Francisco's Corona Heights and had a breathtaking view of the entire bay area from up there. Did I feel blessed living in these places? Yes, however I have appreciated and enjoyed every place I ever lived, even Vietnam.

Having lived in Tacoma and traveled often to Spokane, I always loved going over the Cascades. When I would open my curtains in the morning, there was Mt. Ranier. And when I went to go out the back door to get my broom off the back porch, there were the Olympics. Both always covered in snow, even in the summer. The views were absolutely breathtaking. :angel:

Mount Diablo and Sand Hill Cranes

I see the other side of the Sierra from Cheryl and to the west..Mt. Diablo

Attachments

• Mount Diablo, Sandhill cranes.jpg
    Mount Diablo, Sandhill cranes.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 207
Where I'm from and where we now live are 600+ miles away.

The first pair of photos are from where we are right now. The winter image is what I see out the back door of our sun room. The second is from my front porch looking up our street. It's one of the few garden photos that doesn't show weeds. :LOL:

The last three pictures are from OH, the first one from around where our kids live. In the photo is Himself standing with our daughter The second is from the city next to ours that we would take regular outings to since they had a cute Town Common area, just like I imagined New England would look like. Imagine my surprise to find that my idea of a New England town square is hard to find. Right angles and roads rarely happen together. :LOL: The last is of one of the best places to visit if you are ever in Cleveland: West Side Market. We are regular shoppers there when we're in the area, both when we lived there and now when we visit.

Attachments

• 2011-02-06 15.40.56.jpg
    2011-02-06 15.40.56.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 2014-05-25 05.31.16.jpg
    2014-05-25 05.31.16.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 2011-09-06 17.16.25.jpg
    2011-09-06 17.16.25.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 2013-12-28 21.54.49.jpg
    2013-12-28 21.54.49.jpg