"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,326
What fun to see the areas you all are from. Very beautiful, every single one! I enjoyed seeing them and hope to see more.

I'm in the Mojave Desert in So Cal. We had an unusually good wildflower year last spring, to the south.



Looking west at the Sierra Nevadas last winter, from my street:

__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
This is the building in the fall. And those pics that Andy M. showed are pretty much like any city in this state. Including mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0237.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	21601  
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,326
Beautiful building Addie, and that maple tree...!
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Beautiful building Addie, and that maple tree...!
That tree is on the patio. We get that beautiful colored leaves every fall. The building used to be a school building, grades K-6. It is now considered an historical building. Under the carpeting are the original oak wood floors that still creak when you walk across the floor. I am not too fond of my neighbors in the building, but I love the building itself. When they notified me that an apartment was available, there were two schools I could choose from one was the original high school that my father attended and then became the Jr. High school that I and my kids all attended. I chose this one. And I am glad I did.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
chiklitmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Too close to Atlanta
Posts: 202
Cheryl J: Been to Barstow, Needles, Palmdale, and Lancaster and my wife's uncle and aunt lived in the foothills near Tehachepi. Their dogs had been bitten so many times by rattlers they were immune to it. I LOVED the desert and my wife hated it. I'm a native San Franciscan and it is hard to believe what a diverse state Cal is. Thanks for posting.
__________________
chiklitmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Cheryl J: Been to Barstow, Needles, Palmdale, and Lancaster and my wife's uncle and aunt lived in the foothills near Tehachepi. Their dogs had been bitten so many times by rattlers they were immune to it. I LOVED the desert and my wife hated it. I'm a native San Franciscan and it is hard to believe what a diverse state Cal is. Thanks for posting.
It is not just California. The whole of the West Coast is the same. Dessert, sea coast. mountains, farm land, etc. It has some of every thing you might find in any other part of the country. The only animal I can think of just right now that is missing is aligators. I am sure there are others, buy right now my mind is fried.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is not just California. The whole of the West Coast is the same. Dessert, sea coast. mountains, farm land, etc. It has some of every thing you might find in any other part of the country. The only animal I can think of just right now that is missing is aligators. I am sure there are others, buy right now my mind is fried.
There are no deserts, sea coasts or mountains in the mid-section of the country between the Appalachians and the Rockies. And the mountains in California are much more dramatic than those in the East Coast. I love California - I have a lot of family there.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There are no deserts, sea coasts or mountains in the mid-section of the country between the Appalachians and the Rockies. And the mountains in California are much more dramatic than those in the East Coast. I love California - I have a lot of family there.
No, but there are farmlands, There is a dessert in the Dakotas. Looking for sea coasts other than the West Coast? The Gulf Coast, the East Coast. What I was trying to say is if you move to anywhere on the West Coast and are looking for a place that will be familiar to what you left behind, you will find it on the West Coast. If you grew up on a farm in Ohio, you will find plenty of farmland on the West Coast. If you lived along the coastline in the East, you will find it on the West Coast. Large cities? On the West Coast also. Small towns. The same. Country roads or large freeways. All over the country. The only thing that really changes from state to state are the laws. And every state has their quirky ones. In this state it is still on the books that you must carry your musket to church on Sunday to ward off the native heathens. When they got rid of a lot of Blue Laws, they overlooked that one somehow.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No, but there are farmlands, There is a dessert in the Dakotas.
That's why I didn't mention farmlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Looking for sea coasts other than the West Coast? The Gulf Coast, the East Coast.
The Gulf of Mexico is not a sea - it's a gulf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What I was trying to say is if you move to anywhere on the West Coast and are looking for a place that will be familiar to what you left behind, you will find it on the West Coast. If you grew up on a farm in Ohio, you will find plenty of farmland on the West Coast. If you lived along the coastline in the East, you will find it on the West Coast. Large cities? On the West Coast also. Small towns. The same. Country roads or large freeways. All over the country. The only thing that really changes from state to state are the laws. And every state has their quirky ones. In this state it is still on the books that you must carry your musket to church on Sunday to ward off the native heathens. When they got rid of a lot of Blue Laws, they overlooked that one somehow.
Okay, I get you now.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
All I can say is I need to get out of LA. I'd like to eventually live off grid somewhere in the mountains in cooler climate.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hometowns, photos, travel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.