"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 AM   #201
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
while bridges are involved. . . Woodrow Wilson from VA to MD. My corp office is 5min from where I shot this.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:40 AM   #202
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wonderful pics, all! One from here along the mighty Mississippi:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1414730438.941873.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	22122

Old 10-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #203
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
while bridges are involved. . . Woodrow Wilson from VA to MD. My corp office is 5min from where I shot this.

While the bridge is nice to look at the traffic on it during rush hour is a nightmare.

I have to say that the new one is better then the old one.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #204
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Addie, you need to go back again and drive the H-3 towards Kaneohe,
OH MY GOSH!
I wish I had better photos of that view as you come out of that tunnel, but the City&CountyofHonolulu have decided that it's not safe for everyone to be pulling over and taking pictures going at that rate of speed, you'd think that the Corp of Engineers would have thought to build a pull out, BUT NO!
We watched it being built from our back deck, DH got to be a part of that, thrilling really, and very dangerous up there and talk about driving through the clouds, WOW!!!
Next time we go home I'll be sure to talk DH into stopping for a photo-opt
That pass is terrifying for the uninitiated. The bus driver needs to warn the tourist passengers.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #205
Executive Chef

The scariest bridge I have ever driven over, until I got used to it:

The Coronado Bay Bridge in San Diego. You will notice it has no guard rails, just Jersey barriers.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #206
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That pass is terrifying for the uninitiated. The bus driver needs to warn the tourist passengers.
OOh!
You were on TheBus (really, that's what the City Bus is called )
and went over to the Windward side or were you going around the island #55? Not a bad deal for what, $2.50 now
(it was $1.25/one way or $45/month when we left 7 years ago, that sure beat downtown parking)
... just don't ask the driver questions, they get upset about that, I heard a driver once say to a tourist, "lady, this ain't no tour bus" (add pidgin accent here).
I rode TheBus everyday to and from work, it was so beautiful watching the sunrise in the morning.

Sometimes, when it rained REALLY bad, there'd be a goodly sized waterfall coming down the cliff of the mountain, right into the road ... and the driver just kept on going like it was not at all unusual!! Finally, I guess someone called 911 and they close the highway
Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #207
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
The scariest bridge I have ever driven over, until I got used to it:

The Coronado Bay Bridge in San Diego. You will notice it has no guard rails, just Jersey barriers.
That's a beautiful drive, when there's no Marine Layer. Dear Niece lives in San Diego, we love it there we go to Carlsbad for a beach fix every so often.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #208
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
OOh!
You were on TheBus (really, that's what the City Bus is called )
and went over to the Windward side or were you going around the island #55? Not a bad deal for what, $2.50 now
(it was $1.25/one way or $45/month when we left 7 years ago, that sure beat downtown parking)
... just don't ask the driver questions, they get upset about that, I heard a driver once say to a tourist, "lady, this ain't no tour bus" (add pidgin accent here).
I rode TheBus everyday to and from work, it was so beautiful watching the sunrise in the morning.

Sometimes, when it rained REALLY bad, there'd be a goodly sized waterfall coming down the cliff of the mountain, right into the road ... and the driver just kept on going like it was not at all unusual!! Finally, I guess someone called 911 and they close the highway
I was there in the late 70's. I always went to the Kaneohe side. (I never did get it straight. windward, leeward) I love the scenery on that side. You really get to see the real side with the real folks when you take the same transportation that the residents do. I have never been one to do the touristy thing. Poo would bring home announcements from the Lincoln School about other activities going on in other schools throughout the island. A lot of times I would attend. Otherwise I would never gotten to hear the Kamehameha Choir doing their Christmas Special. Or attended the services at the Hawaiian Church where all the services were totally in Hawaiian. I didn't understand a word that was said, but I loved the sound of the language and the music. I think my favorite though was the Honolulu Boy Choir. I very rarely missed a performance of theirs.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #209
Head Chef

WOW! Good for you Addie, most folks come over from the mainland without that attitude and miss out on what all Hawaii, or any place for that matter, has to offer. .... and Poo is who? a grandson/daughter? how long were you on Oahu?
As a single young women, I lived not far from the Punchbowl area for a brief time. But the Windward side of the island always calls be back :sigh:
Old 11-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #210
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
WOW! Good for you Addie, most folks come over from the mainland without that attitude and miss out on what all Hawaii, or any place for that matter, has to offer. .... and Poo is who? a grandson/daughter? how long were you on Oahu?
As a single young women, I lived not far from the Punchbowl area for a brief time. But the Windward side of the island always calls be back :sigh:
Poo is my youngest son. He is a Physician Assistant and works in Vermont in the ER of the hospital there. I was there for one year. Long enough for Poo to get started in the first grade. I loved his school. In the morning the janitor would remove the outer walls in each classroom. The breezes would blow through. No need for AC there. When I went shopping for his clothes for school, I was in heaven. Shorts, tank tops and flip flops. Typical Hawaiian garb.

On the Windward (?) side there is a little chapel. Only one back wall and open to the public. Simple benches to sit on. I used to go there to attend traditional Hawaiian weddings. One bride and groom even invited me to their reception. A true luau in all the Hawaiian tradition. I had a ball.

Come December, Poo showed up back at home around 10 a.m. I couldn't believe the reason they sent all the kids home. Surf is up! Sounded like a good reason to me. I had to explain to Poo what that meant. So I took him up to the North Shore so he could see what it was all about.

My sister came over for a visit and stayed two months. I lived in the apartment building right across from the Punaho School. I even went out one night to see those flowers that bloom only at night.

I used to go to the Ala Moana beach while Poo was in school. I transcribed medical notes for a doctor that worked in the morgue in the Children's Hospital down the street from me.

Tags
hometowns, photos, travel