"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #221
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
yes taxi, yes I do... I went to a school for children of Hawaiian decent and it was mandatory to learn the language, culture, etc.
The school is funded by the largest/richest trust in the entire world, started by the last Hawaiian Monarch and her husband. I am eternally grateful everyday of my life to have been privileged to have had that opportunity, the trust pays for half of each child's education, not to mention that the trust offers many scholarships for higher education.
But, I do go on ...
Yes, please go on Kgirl. I find this fascinating.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Kgirl, I loved living there, but after a year I knew the end of my marriage was near. Shortly after coming back home to Boston, he died in Hawaii. He is buried there. He moved to Haleiwa after I came home and lived with a woman. Fine with me. She buried him. She let my son know four months later.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #223
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a lot of new members that we all would love to see pictures of their home town.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #224
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
yes taxi, yes I do... I went to a school for children of Hawaiian decent and it was mandatory to learn the language, culture, etc.
The school is funded by the largest/richest trust in the entire world, started by the last Hawaiian Monarch and her husband. I am eternally grateful everyday of my life to have been privileged to have had that opportunity, the trust pays for half of each child's education, not to mention that the trust offers many scholarships for higher education.
But, I do go on ...
When Greg started school there he went to the Lincoln School. We lived at the Domino Apartments right across the street from the Punahu School, which was started by missionaries from Boston for their children. Since we came from Boston, Poo was eligible to attend. I really wanted Poo to get the feel of living in Hawaii. And I saw the snobbishness of the kids that came out the doors each day. I didn't want a child like that. He had already learned the Chukah sign. And I was fine with that. I was quite all right with him becoming immersed with the life style.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #225
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When Greg started school there he went to the Lincoln School. We lived at the Domino Apartments right across the street from the Punahu School, which was started by missionaries from Boston for their children. Since we came from Boston, Poo was eligible to attend. I really wanted Poo to get the feel of living in Hawaii. And I saw the snobbishness of the kids that came out the doors each day. I didn't want a child like that. He had already learned the Chukah sign. And I was fine with that. I was quite all right with him becoming immersed with the life style.
Addie, did you mean Dominis West Apartments or 1710 Punahou street;

Click image for larger version

Name:	shaka braddah.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	23988
Shaka Braddah ?
Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #226
Head Chef

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawaii 025.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	23989

I hope that more folks will share photos of
where they're from...
Old 12-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #227
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yes, please go on Kgirl. I find this fascinating.
Here's a morsel for you K,

Kamehameha Schools Christmas Concert 2014: He Makana Kalikimaka | ʻŌiwi TV

Had to do this every year!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #228
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Addie, did you mean Dominis West Apartments or 1710 Punahou street;

Attachment 23988
Shaka Braddah ?
Yup! The Bus stopped right outside the side entrance. I used to catch it across the street at the school on my way to my job as a Menihuni. Yes, I am that short. Enough so that I fit into their uniforms. I worked for just a short while in that job. I am not cut out to have the patience with tourists that thought I was so cute. From that job I got a job transcribing notes for a doctor that performed autopsies on stillborn or babies that died in infancy. I would take my recorder down to Ala Moana Beach and sit there transcribing until it was time to go home in time for Poo to get home. Or I would go sit out by the pool at the YW just down the street with a bunch of the women and transcrible.

One of the good things about living there is if we lived across the street, Poo would have gone to a different school. But instead he got to attend the Lincoln School that all the kids of the professors from UOH kids went to. So they were given a slightly more advanced education. And Poo was smart enough to fit right in.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #229
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Thank you so much. I know what Meli Kalikimaka means, but what does He Makana mean?

Pirate is sitting here watching me listen with the headphones on. Wants to know why my eyes are tearing up. The music and harmony are so beautiful. I have this earmarked and will be coming back quite often.

You were very fortunate to be a part of this.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #230
Master Chef

Quote:

Oh my gosh Kgirl, I enjoyed that so very much..just beautiful, especially the final number, with the girls in the green and black dresses. Yes, I did watch it all. Were you also a performer? What a wonderful school, and how many students attended then and now?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hometowns, photos, travel