"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #231
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you so much. I know what Meli Kalikimaka means, but what does He Makana mean?

Pirate is sitting here watching me listen with the headphones on. Wants to know why my eyes are tearing up. The music and harmony are so beautiful. I have this earmarked and will be coming back quite often.

You were very fortunate to be a part of this.
He Makana means A Gift and yes, I did participate

Old 12-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #232
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh my gosh Kgirl, I enjoyed that so very much..just beautiful, especially the final number, with the girls in the green and black dresses. Yes, I did watch it all. Were you also a performer? What a wonderful school, and how many students attended then and now?
Why yes, I did have to perform, back in the day of course. It was and is mandatory that we learn the language, dance, music and various instruments, culture, history, religion, the entire kit and caboodle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamehameha_Schools
As to the school it self, here's a snippet from Wikipedia.
My graduating class was only about 350 kids.
I attend this school from Kindergarten through 12th grade, (what was called "a lifer")
what an experience! I received an excellent education.
I think I thank my Mother at least once a month to this day,
for providing both myself and my younger sister with such
a wonderful education.
We would come home from school and our parents would
always ask us at the dinner table each night, "what did you learn today?"
Well, neither of them spoke a lick of Hawaiian, so ... homework
was some times a challenge.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #233
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
@Claire I'm from not very far from the Kaneohe Bay Marine Base, our nephew served there for three years with his wife an our grand nephew. That's where I'm from, born and raised, my first language is Hawaiian/Pidgin ... so ...
Kgirl, are you Hawaiian by ancestry? Poo had started using Pidgin that he learned from his playmates in school and at the beach at Ala Moana where there were no tourists. He loved going to the zoo down by Diamond Head. I used to find a bench and let him loose. I also loved the concerts with the Hawaiian Royal Band.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #234
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Kgirl, are you Hawaiian by ancestry? Poo had started using Pidgin that he learned from his playmates in school and at the beach at Ala Moana where there were no tourists. He loved going to the zoo down by Diamond Head. I used to find a bench and let him loose. I also loved the concerts with the Hawaiian Royal Band.
Well, yes, of course Miss Addie, Kamehameha ONLY allows Hawaiian children.

Now, I hope that no one is confusing pidgin and the Hawaiian language... two totally different things dontcha know...
and Miss Addie, tourist are everywhere...
I loved it when they would be on my bus going back over to the other side of the island, they wanted to know as much as they could in that short ride. Such a deal on The Bus (forreal! That's the name of the bus system in Honolulu), $2.50 one way, take the #55 from Ala Moana Center and go all the way around the island in an afternoon, and be sure to ask alot of questions of any "local" that you can engage in conversation.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #235
Head Chef

Here's another piece for you:

Old 12-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #236
Master Chef

Ya know Kgirl, with all of our travels in the world, I honestly think the Hawaiian people are our favorites. Tourists who go there are just captivated by not only the beautiful place, but by the traditions and genuine warmth of the people. Maybe my connection and love for Hawaii also has something to do with when I stand on my shore, the next stop is Hawaii. Hawaii will always be in my heart.

Mahalo for that great video..what talent, what music.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #237
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Well, yes, of course Miss Addie, Kamehameha ONLY allows Hawaiian children.
Now, I hope that no one is confusing pidgin and the Hawaiian language... two totally different things dontcha know...
and Miss Addie, tourist are everywhere...
I loved it when they would be on my bus going back over to the other side of the island, they wanted to know as much as they could in that short ride. Such a deal on The Bus (forreal! That's the name of the bus system in Honolulu), $2.50 one way, take the #55 from Ala Moana Center and go all the way around the island in an afternoon, and be sure to ask alot of questions of any "local" that you can engage in conversation.
That was my understanding, but it has been 35+years since I have been there. A lot has escaped my memory bank. I would often take #55 with Poo up to Haleiwa to see the surfing when the surf was up. He wanted to go in the water so bad, but the volcanic rock was just too rough along with the surf. Ala Moana Beach was much safer for him. Then catch The Bus on its continuous journey back to Ala Moana Center so we could see Pearl Harbor and Pearl City.

Senior Moment! What was the name of the tourist place where a tourist could take The Bus that went up by and past UOH. That is where I worked for a short time as a Mehuni. I don't mean the Cultural Center on the North Shore.

Tags
hometowns, photos, travel