This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a traffic jam in my neck of the woods. :LOL:

img_1389283_0_2ce4b3e6e280bb4a05662816d5726a78.jpg

Leaving stuff on the street to "save your spot". Wow! That wouldn't work here on the Island of Montreal. Unless it's a really bad snow storm, the snow plows will be there before any 48 hours are up. There will be no parking on one side of the street for 12 hours and then on the other side for the next 12 hours. Even if the snow plows are delayed, someone would drive over that stuff left on the street.

THAT is what I would love to do!
If I could just get Mister K on board... :whistling
My ideal is either a View Profile or and R-Pod
Travel around the country in the RV and see as much as we can, while we can! :clap:
We're not on the this Earth forever, I want to make the most of out time, especially with our good health still entact.
K-girl, PF, we have to leave our guys at home and do a girls' only road trip. :LOL: But getting a travel home is only in my dreams, so I have no dollar limit. Instead, I'll just think of how lovely one of those big-butt Winnebago's would be...at least until I had to drive it on a skinny, winding road. :ermm: :ohmy: But something like this would be my home-away-from-home (which would BE my home since I couldn't afford this and another place):

winnebago-vista-interior-1.jpg

I'm scared to death to drive here on the mainland!...
Like others have said, you haven't driven until you've tackled Boston or NYC. I was in driver's heaven when I/we were in AZ dropping off Progeny #1 at ASU. Wide streets, well-marked lanes, huge signs that lit up and showed that buildings numbered 1-500 were to the left and those 501+ were to the right? What a great idea! Our daughter and I took the boy out to college since Dad couldn't get off work. I think I spent most of those days in Tempe et al exclaiming "look at the signs!" over and over. :LOL: Then there is MA. Like BT said, the roads are paved cow paths and Indian trails. Most intersections do not occur as right angles. And signage? Doesn't exist. My neighbor up the street (native of NJ, lived in OH for 8 years, and would move back to OH in a heartbeat), summed it up best: If you're from here, you know how to get around. If you aren't from here, you don't need to know. Whenever we've driven into Boston I've ended up sitting in my seat crying and whimpering like a scared puppy.

bt, Himself and I wanted to look across the water at Lady Liberty on our way to New England the first time. I was driving our VW beetle down Manhattan on the way to Battery Park when some big Caddy almost forced me off the road...and into the water! :ohmy: I never drove in the NYC area again.

Like others have said, you haven't driven until you've tackled Boston or NYC. I was in driver's heaven when I/we were in AZ dropping off Progeny #1 at ASU. Wide streets, well-marked lanes, huge signs that lit up and showed that buildings numbered 1-500 were to the left and those 501+ were to the right? What a great idea! Our daughter and I took the boy out to college since Dad couldn't get off work. I think I spent most of those days in Tempe et al exclaiming "look at the signs!" over and over. :LOL: Then there is MA. Like BT said, the roads are paved cow paths and Indian trails. Most intersections do not occur as right angles. And signage? Doesn't exist. My neighbor up the street (native of NJ, lived in OH for 8 years, and would move back to OH in a heartbeat), summed it up best: If you're from here, you know how to get around. If you aren't from here, you don't need to know. Whenever we've driven into Boston I've ended up sitting in my seat crying and whimpering like a scared puppy.

bt, Himself and I wanted to look across the water at Lady Liberty on our way to New England the first time. I was driving our VW beetle down Manhattan on the way to Battery Park when some big Caddy almost forced me off the road...and into the water! :ohmy: I never drove in the NYC area again.

OMG, that might be the thing I hate most about the Boston area, lack of signage! Having 3 lanes and not having any of them marked, no signs above, nothing painted on the pavement, you have no idea which lane you need to be in! More often than not, I'm in the wrong lane at the stoplight and end up having to be the fastest at takeoff to correct.

I recently visited my daughter in Denver, where I thought driving would be laid-back and easy going. Whoooeee! The downtown traffic is thick and so fast!, as though everyone knows exactly where they want to go and are in a heckuva hurry to get there. Signage seemed pretty good, but hesitate and you are lost. They all drive like those proverbial bats.

When my daughter visits me down here in pokeyville, she still drives that way and keeps me holding on for dear life while I mash a hole in the floor with 'my' brake pedal. :ohmy:

So funny that everyone is picking on the driving in Boston. I was thinking, who wants to deal with the cold and snow for the holidays? When DH and I first moved from Michigan to Virginia, we went back to Michigan for Thanksgiving or Christmas. After a few years, my mom bought a house in the Florida Keys, so we went there for Christmas and to Michigan in the summer. Even after she sold that house, we continued going to Michigan in the summer. It's much nicer there then ;)

K-girl, PF, we have to leave our guys at home and do a girls' only road trip. :LOL: But getting a travel home is only in my dreams, so I have no dollar limit. Instead, I'll just think of how lovely one of those big-butt Winnebago's would be...at least until I had to drive it on a skinny, winding road. :ermm: :ohmy: But something like this would be my home-away-from-home (which would BE my home since I couldn't afford this and another place):

I'M IN! Not too sure about me sharing in the driving though :rolleyes:
Love the Winnebago Vista CC!
We looked at that one too, but the husband unit thoug it looked too much like a bus and didn't want to seen driving it :LOL:
It's not that much bigger than the View Profile...

That's what I'm talkin' about...something I can't see out of! :ROFLMAO:

I recently visited my daughter in Denver, where I thought driving would be laid-back and easy going. Whoooeee! The downtown traffic is thick and so fast!, as though everyone knows exactly where they want to go and are in a heckuva hurry to get there. Signage seemed pretty good, but hesitate and you are lost. They all drive like those proverbial bats.

When my daughter visits me down here in pokeyville, she still drives that way and keeps me holding on for dear life while I mash a hole in the floor with 'my' brake pedal. :ohmy:

By the time I got comfortable driving in Denver we moved back to Wyoming. Missoula is a madhouse, those people out there are crazy.

We have Canadian Geese by the thousands here on there way south and north. Coming and going. A good long blast of your horn and they leave a mess all over the road before they take off.

You wouldn't think it, but we have a lot of waterways for migrating birds. :angel:

when we were on vacation by lake placid this past summer, a huge flock of canadian geese came in for a landing on a small glen next to the lake.

i told dw and my boy to watch the water as they made their final approach.

boom, boom, splash, splunk!

they tend to drop their ordinance as they come in for a landing as well. lol, dw and the boy were so grossed out.

tinlizzie, that's a beautiful pic. :) Farmer Jon, I loved the pic of your area, too. Thanks for sharing.

Princess....LOL :LOL:

Yeah, the geese ARE messy. :ermm: I just waited patiently for them to cross. I love seeing the little quail families making their way across that same back road to Albertson's - they are so cute, the little chicks' legs move so fast. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom