This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, k.

i'm going to have to wear my go pro one night on my way into work.

i just have to figure out how to blur the speedometer for legal purposes.

there's usually no traffic, but the ride is nice.

Every year about this time, we get the Parade of the Farm Equipment. To be expected, as we're rural. A few years ago, we had dozens of deer in our back yard, a big buck even walked up the back steps and wanted to be invited in.

We have a protected wetlands about 1/4 mile from where I live. There are all kinds of birds and other critters there. At the beginning of every spring, we even have a pair of swans that stay for the summer and then head out when the cold weather hits. There is a section that my transportation passes on the way to Winthrop. My driver always slows down so I can watch the swans.

There are millions of Cat O' Nine-tails growing all over the place there. I don't know if it is legal to cut them, but I have always wanted to cut a bunch of them, spray the heads with hair spray and put them in one of those large floor jars. But I will leave them alone. I have no desire to go to jail or pay a fine. :angel:

We have a protected wetlands about 1/4 mile from where I live. There are all kinds of birds and other critters there. At the beginning of every spring, we even have a pair of swans that stay for the summer and then head out when the cold weather hits. There is a section that my transportation passes on the way to Winthrop. My driver always slows down so I can watch the swans.

There are millions of Cat O' Nine-tails growing all over the place there. I don't know if it is legal to cut them, but I have always wanted to cut a bunch of them, spray the heads with hair spray and put them in one of those large floor jars. But I will leave them alone. I have no desire to go to jail or pay a fine. :angel:
Is this what you mean?

6539330.jpg

It's a bull rush.

This is a Cat O' Nine-tails:

3266.jpg

taxy, down here in the lower 48 the bullrush is also called cat tails. I'm guessing that's what Addie meant - unless she's into kinky stuff. :ohmy:

When we lived in OH, our county was along a flyway for Canada geese (yup, that's the proper name for them). I was driving along, minding my own business, when I noticed a huge "V" formation flying overhead. Then I heard their "business" hitting my car! It was cold out, I HAD a cold, and here I am at one of those feed-a-quarter-wash-your-car-yourself places hosing bird doo off my car before the acid could ruin the paint. :mad:

K-girl, when we go back home we stay at our daughter's. She's not too far from the cluster of towns that comprise a large Amish community. This is the kind of traffic jam by her:

Attachments

• 2013-01-29 16.01.10.jpg
    2013-01-29 16.01.10.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 173
Phragmites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what I mean. We call them cat o' nine tails. When you see them waving in the wind, you would understand. But they make a mess when they start to fall apart and dry out. So you spray them with hairspray to prevent that. Get a whole huge bunch of them and put them in a really large jar in the corner and they make quite a statement. :angel:

Last edited:
taxy, down here in the lower 48 the bullrush is also called cat tails. I'm guessing that's what Addie meant - unless she's into kinky stuff. :ohmy:

When we lived in OH, our county was along a flyway for Canada geese (yup, that's the proper name for them). I was driving along, minding my own business, when I noticed a huge "V" formation flying overhead. Then I heard their "business" hitting my car! It was cold out, I HAD a cold, and here I am at one of those feed-a-quarter-wash-your-car-yourself places hosing bird doo off my car before the acid could ruin the paint. :mad:

One of the electric service offices are located along Malden River. They had to put up a chain link fence between them and the river due to the Canada Geese. They were making a mess every day that was so bad you couldn't get into the building. Sometimes they would even attack you wanting to be fed. Real nasty birds. Almost as bad as sea gulls. :angel:

We have Canadian Geese by the thousands here on there way south and north. Coming and going. A good long blast of your horn and they leave a mess all over the road before they take off.

You wouldn't think it, but we have a lot of waterways for migrating birds. :angel:

We have lots of "resident" Canadian geese, they stay year round, they must have liked the weather here! My part of town has lots of them, they bring whole busy streets to a stop as they leisurely stroll across the street.

We have lots of "resident" Canadian geese, they stay year round, they must have liked the weather here! My part of town has lots of them, they bring whole busy streets to a stop as they leisurely stroll across the street.

They must have their green cards or visas!

One of our parks has bunches of geese, Canada and others. They just take their time crossing the road.

We have a wetlands area near here where I like to walk. Three little linked ponds with resident Canada Geese, they are used to me now, but it was a bit scary at first. Now I can stop, watch the babies and talk to them without upsetting Mom and dad.

There is a pond at the end of my street, oh the babies are so darned cute!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Always see the babies all over the place. Since it's fall they have all grown up and getting ready for winter.

I'm going to have to pay attention to when the rut starts, don't want to run into any white tail bucks on my morning walks.

Just read this on the local police log:

Animal Hazard. US395 JSO. Burro walking very close to roadside. Police en route.

:ermm::LOL:Gotta love a small town.

this just in: burro shot dead by police on street as it approached a dunkin donuts.

reports indicate the burro lunged at officers. details to follow.

Back
Top Bottom