"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Head Chef

Angry This is why I can't have nice stuff!

I can't believe it! My sister was using my best $90 Calphalon pan yesterday and left it on the stove empty for half an hour! Naturally it's completely friggin ruined now. All I could do is throw it away.

How can people be so stupid? Last year when my folks and sister were visiting my mom & sis burned out one of my other good teflon pans making pancakes, despite the fact that I have a very nice electric griddle that works better.

That tears it- I'm boxing up my decent stuff and hiding it when anyone is around. I'm sick and tired of not being able to have nice stuff...

Old 07-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Rob, no need to box it up! Put a tag on it like stores do, if you break it you bought it!!! Being serious now, I'd sit them down and just tell them that while you appreciate their trying to help you out that certian implements in your kitchen are not to be used period...Respect for others possesions is and should be expected. Otherwise the kitchen and all ithings in it are off limits...

kadesma

Old 07-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Master Chef

Rob, I understand how you feel. I loaned my crockpot to some coworkers for a taco feed and it can back with a chip in it. It is still usuable, but frustrating still. I agree with kadesma. Maybe you could find other things for her to do, that would not be so damaging to your kitchenware.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
Head Chef

Rob, that would make me crazy, too! I think I'd box my good stuff up when others are around. (I don't share well, can you tell?? )

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

I'm so sorry Rob! How discouraging! Years ago, my mom stayed with us for the first few weeks after one of my sons was born. She left the griddle on the stove and ruined it (she was used to a gas stove, where you turn off the heat and leave the pan, and mine was electric and took a long time to cool). Anyway, she was so sorry that she went out and got me a brand new (and much nicer!) griddle. I'd say share this story with your sister.

I agree with kadesma - no need to box it up when they're coming, just let them know how precious these pans are to you, and that if they choose to cook, let them cook with you or at least with your supervision.

Even better - take her out to breakfast.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Rob, your guests must know how passionate you are about cooking and your $$$$$$ cookwear but they used them anyway.. I say box it.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I'm so sorry Rob! How discouraging! Years ago, my mom stayed with us for the first few weeks after one of my sons was born. She left the griddle on the stove and ruined it (she was used to a gas stove, where you turn off the heat and leave the pan, and mine was electric and took a long time to cool). Anyway, she was so sorry that she went out and got me a brand new (and much nicer!) griddle. I'd say share this story with your sister.
That's actually an important point. The fact that they destroyed it was one thing, but that fact that they didn't bother to purchase a replacement for you is another.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Make them pay for it! Tell them youre not getting them a christmas present!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I say go ahead and box it up! If I went to my daughter's or sister's house and they told me that I was not allowed to use "the good pans" I would feel very insulted! And if they ruined it and didn't offer to replace it, they obviously do not realize how important it was to you. So go ahead and hide the good stuff when they are there.

Barbara
Old 07-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh Rob.. I'm sorry! What a bad beginning to a visit.
I'd either box them up or you could do what I do...
NO BODY COOKS IN MY KITCHEN!! Unless, I'm there supervising.