This is why I can't have nice stuff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
I can't believe it!:mad: My sister was using my best $90 Calphalon pan yesterday and left it on the stove empty for half an hour! Naturally it's completely friggin ruined now.:glare: All I could do is throw it away.

How can people be so stupid? Last year when my folks and sister were visiting my mom & sis burned out one of my other good teflon pans making pancakes, despite the fact that I have a very nice electric griddle that works better.:wacko:

That tears it- I'm boxing up my decent stuff and hiding it when anyone is around. I'm sick and tired of not being able to have nice stuff...

Rob, no need to box it up! Put a tag on it like stores do, if you break it you bought it!!! Being serious now, I'd sit them down and just tell them that while you appreciate their trying to help you out that certian implements in your kitchen are not to be used period...Respect for others possesions is and should be expected. Otherwise the kitchen and all ithings in it are off limits...

kadesma

Rob, I understand how you feel. I loaned my crockpot to some coworkers for a taco feed and it can back with a chip in it. It is still usuable, but frustrating still. I agree with kadesma. Maybe you could find other things for her to do, that would not be so damaging to your kitchenware.

Rob, that would make me crazy, too! I think I'd box my good stuff up when others are around. (I don't share well, can you tell?? :LOL: )

I'm so sorry Rob! How discouraging! Years ago, my mom stayed with us for the first few weeks after one of my sons was born. She left the griddle on the stove and ruined it (she was used to a gas stove, where you turn off the heat and leave the pan, and mine was electric and took a long time to cool). Anyway, she was so sorry that she went out and got me a brand new (and much nicer!) griddle. I'd say share this story with your sister.

I agree with kadesma - no need to box it up when they're coming, just let them know how precious these pans are to you, and that if they choose to cook, let them cook with you or at least with your supervision.

Even better - take her out to breakfast.

Rob, your guests must know how passionate you are about cooking and your $$$$$$ cookwear but they used them anyway.. I say box it.

jkath said:
I'm so sorry Rob! How discouraging! Years ago, my mom stayed with us for the first few weeks after one of my sons was born. She left the griddle on the stove and ruined it (she was used to a gas stove, where you turn off the heat and leave the pan, and mine was electric and took a long time to cool). Anyway, she was so sorry that she went out and got me a brand new (and much nicer!) griddle. I'd say share this story with your sister.

That's actually an important point. The fact that they destroyed it was one thing, but that fact that they didn't bother to purchase a replacement for you is another.

I say go ahead and box it up! If I went to my daughter's or sister's house and they told me that I was not allowed to use "the good pans" I would feel very insulted! And if they ruined it and didn't offer to replace it, they obviously do not realize how important it was to you. So go ahead and hide the good stuff when they are there.

:) Barbara

Oh Rob.. I'm sorry! What a bad beginning to a visit.
I'd either box them up or you could do what I do...
NO BODY COOKS IN MY KITCHEN!! Unless, I'm there supervising. :)

I haven't seen my sister in about 12 years so if she were to suddenly show up today I'd let her burn all the pans she wanted.

that'd be upsetting, rob. i'm sorry your stuff got ruined.
my Mom makes me so mad sometimes. she doesn't ruin my things (except for shrinking about $1,000 worth of GAP sweaters:angry:.) but she takes over my clothes and shoes. i wouldn't mind so much but she does it all the time! i had to hide my favorite shoes from her.
my Dad has a tendency to get curious about my new stuff and has to try it out, but then he leaves it alone, mostly.
but he uses up all my spices (if i catch him in my $90 spice rack i'll scream), after i caught my Dad using my rather expensive seasalt for pasta water and then after he used up an entire bottle of olive oil and my Brother ate a mostly-full gallon sized bag of my homemade beef jerky (he left 3 slivers in the bag), i made it very clear that they are not to so much as glance in the general direction of my kitchen items or foods. i might be a waif but i sure can yell!

And she could use all the spices and eat all the food she wanted.:) And she could wear all my clothes that she wanted.:) NO LIMIT!.

tweedee - sounds like you really need a visit from your sister! I hope it happens for you.

btw, I'm a Kansas girl, born and raised. What part of the state are you in?

tweedee said:
And she could use all the spices and eat all the food she wanted.:) And she could wear all my clothes that she wanted.:) NO LIMIT!.
i guess i'm just not as generous as some. i love to share, but we all have our limits.

Last edited:
Southeast, but i'm not origionally from kansas. I was born and raised in southern, California but have been living in kansas since January 1985.

I'm from the south central part of the state...transplanted now to the Rocky Mountains.

Well, all's well that ends well! She did surprise me with a brand new one just like the one she torched!:mrgreen: I'm still a bit miffed, but she said it was an accident- she was cooking in it and someone knocked on the door. She let it go because she forgot the stove was on.:wacko: Still ditsy, but at least I got my pan replaced!:LOL:

I get p.o.'ed easily, but I'm just as quick to forgive.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom