"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #111
Everymom

OK folks everyone take a breath. This thread is heating up again. LOL.

Out of curiosity, do you believe that those studies are completely unbiased? Or that the statistics you read are not manipulated in some way?

My personal feeling is that numbers can be manipulated to support nearly any position. I had an example to share, but it will really hijack this baby so I'm not posting it.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #112
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
...My personal feeling is that numbers can be manipulated to support nearly any position. I had an example to share, but it will really hijack this baby so I'm not posting it.
I totally agree with you that studies can and sometimes are biased. That being said, IMO that usually happens when someone has something to benefit from the study turning out one way or another.

I don't think these cell phone studies are biased because of several reason:
1) the cell phone companies are going to be up in arms over lost revenue.
2) there are several independent studies being done by folks who stand to gain nothing from this law passing.
3) My own observations lead me to believe these studies are indeed true.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #113
Head Chef

Quote:

Out of curiosity, do you believe that those studies are completely unbiased? Or that the statistics you read are not manipulated in some way?

My personal feeling is that numbers can be manipulated to support nearly any position. I had an example to share, but it will really hijack this baby so I'm not posting it.
That's funny. Your comment about studies being biased was exactly why I called it a theory, but like you, I didn't want to open that can of worms.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #114
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I totally agree with you that studies can and sometimes are biased. That being said, IMO that usually happens when someone has something to benefit from the study turning out one way or another.

I don't think these cell phone studies are biased because of several reason:
1) the cell phone companies are going to be up in arms over lost revenue.
2) there are several independent studies being done by folks who stand to gain nothing from this law passing.
3) My own observations lead me to believe these studies are indeed true.
This thread is still alive no matter how hard we beat it, so let me ask the question. How do phone companies lose revenue over people not being able to talk while driving? Not getting that one. I pay for a certain number of minutes per month no matter where I am while talking.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #115
Head Chef

Lol! Omg .... Uncle!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #116
Head Chef

There are lots and lots of plans that are either prepaid or you can "pay-as-you-go". The more you talk the more money they make. Even if you don't have one of those plans, if you talk enough, you will run out of minutes and when you do, they charge you a ridiculous amount per minute.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #117
Sous Chef

Quote:

Quote:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, ****ed lies, and statistics. -- Mark Twain
This quote is so true. A town can have one traffic accident in the 70's and two in the 80's, and someone will be there to say that traffic accidents doubled in just 10 years...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #118
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
This quote is so true. A town can have one traffic accident in the 70's and two in the 80's, and someone will be there to say that traffic accidents doubled in just 10 years...
Well said.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

awww, that's a terribly flawed arguement.

they didn't even have cell phones in the 70's...

lol.

it's only common sense that some people are able to use a cell phone and drive very well. but it's also common sense that many, many people cannot. it's just too obvious.

like i said, i almost always believe in the case for more freedom and more personal responsibilty. but since the thing you're doing can (and does everyday) easily harm or kill, you have to err on the lower demoniator.
of course, i think it's not as applicable in less populated areas.

hmmm, didn't anyone ever see jiminey cricket when they were young?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #120
Sous Chef

You guys are right in pointing out that studies can be biased. I haven't read them so I don't know which are and which aren't. A law like that will always be controversial because even if good studies prove this or that about cell phones, where do you draw the line? No dogs in the car? No children? I am most likely to lose control of my vehicle while trying to calm a hysterical child in the back seat.

Closed Thread