"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #121
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Yes, I read your post. If we believe that theory, then we have to believe that no one ever had an accident before cell phones, no one was or is now distracted while carrying on a conversation before cell phones, that if no one was allowed to even bring cell phone into a car at all, there would never be another distraction caused accident..

The study was all about interactive conversations on a telephone being a different sort of distraction than other conversations. So I'm not sure I understand your point.

"Likewise, it is easy to equate talking to a friend on a cellphone with talking to a friend in the passenger seat. But a December report in The Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied debunked that notion. Utah researchers put 96 drivers in a simulator, instructing them to drive several miles down the road and pull off at a rest stop. Sometimes the drivers were talking on a hands-free cell phone, and sometimes they were chatting with a friend in the next seat.
Nearly every driver with a passenger found the rest stop, in part because the passenger often acted as an extra set of eyes, alerting the driver to the approaching exit. But among those talking on the cellphone, half missed the exit.

“The paradox is that if the friend is sitting next to you, you drive safer,” Dr. Strayer said. “When you talk to that person on a cellphone, you’re much more likely to be involved in an accident.”

Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #122
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Fascinating discussion - No matter what side of the fence you are on plese post your opinion as to first the odds that such a law will be widely passed and second, your opinion as to whether it can be enforced once passed.

Thank you
AC

Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #123
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
awww, that's a terribly flawed arguement.

they didn't even have cell phones in the 70's...

lol.

it's only common sense that some people are able to use a cell phone and drive very well. but it's also common sense that many, many people cannot. it's just too obvious.

like i said, i almost always believe in the case for more freedom and more personal responsibilty. but since the thing you're doing can (and does everyday) easily harm or kill, you have to err on the lower demoniator.
of course, i think it's not as applicable in less populated areas.

hmmm, didn't anyone ever see jiminey cricket when they were young?
I'm completely with you on this one Buckytom .....did I just say that out loud?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #124
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
I really think that it has a lot to do with the individual driving. Some folks can talk and drive safely others cannot. Instead of making law after law and taking all the possibly dangerous toys away from each person till we end up with lots of laws that are not enforceable why not just hold people responsible for their actions. Swerve lanes exhibit intention etc. Get a ticket for thatction. Remember, we are paying legislator's salaries
The why have any traffic laws at all? Just pull over the bad drivers

Why hold someone accountable after they kill or injure someone when may be able to prevent it in the first place?

There are studies that claim to show that the ability level of someone driving while on the phone is about the same as someone driving while intoxicated. We don't allow the latter. Why should we tolerate the former?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #125
Chef Extraordinaire

we should tolerate both.

gimme my keys and a beer. i've got calls to make!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #126
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Fascinating discussion - No matter what side of the fence you are on plese post your opinion as to first the odds that such a law will be widely passed and second, your opinion as to whether it can be enforced once passed.

Thank you
AC
1. Widely passed. I doubt it. States are having a hard enough time banning hand-held phones.

2. If passed, it's certainly enforceable. Just like radar detector laws. They can make it against the law to wear a bluetooth device when driving.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #127
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
awww, that's a terribly flawed arguement.

they didn't even have cell phones in the 70's...

lol.

hmmm, didn't anyone ever see jiminey cricket when they were young?

I remember, bt. He was my buddy!

But ya know, after 125+ posts, I see no one is going to change anyone's opinion about usage or not, safety or not. Tis ashame!
But maybe we'll all remember this thread and the arguments when they next think of doing anything distracting while driving.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #128
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
But maybe we'll all remember this thread and the arguments when they next think of doing anything distracting while driving.
I actually did put my phone down today instead of making a call because I thought of this thread.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #129
Head Chef

Good for you GB! Maybe others will too!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #130
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
You guys are right in pointing out that studies can be biased. I haven't read them so I don't know which are and which aren't. A law like that will always be controversial because even if good studies prove this or that about cell phones, where do you draw the line? No dogs in the car? No children? I am most likely to lose control of my vehicle while trying to calm a hysterical child in the back seat.

Ahhhh, now you're getting it. That's exactly the point I was trying to make. I just came home from having lunch with friends and I had one friend in the car. She was talking to me and I made the wrong turn going in the opposite direction. I was distracted by my friends' conversation. My cell phone was not in my hand. Not a dangerous move, just distracted enough to make a wrong turn.