"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #131
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I actually did put my phone down today instead of making a call because I thought of this thread.

Thanks, GB.
__________________

__________________
quicksilver is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #132
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
1. Widely passed. I doubt it. States are having a hard enough time banning hand-held phones.

2. If passed, it's certainly enforceable. Just like radar detector laws. They can make it against the law to wear a bluetooth device when driving.
Nope, can't enforce it. Just because I have a bluetooth in my ear doesn't mean I'm on the phone. Maybe I use it when I pull over or park to make a call. You have to catch someone in the act of committing a crime before you can enforce it.
__________________

__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #133
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
I'm just glad I live in Canada. We get ticked about not having our snow cleared so you can imagine what this would be like here. ;)

I'm not sure how to state this so it comes out OK so if its garbled it means I edited the crap out of it. Sorry.

When anyone commissions a study they have a predisposition for what they think they will find. And often that is borne out simply because of the parameters of the study. (Keep in mind I'm stating only my opinion, not fact) I believe that if you go in believing that using a cell phone is worse than talking to a passenger then you may place limits on your study that will make that outcome more likely. I think I'd like to see a study about the effects of a screaming toddler/infant vs bluetooth. Or maybe senile old person in the passenger seat vs bluetooth. LOL. I'm not certain how the studies were conducted, but it seems that there are things that could be tested that would significantly change the outcome.

Adillo, I suspect that the law will be widely passed eventually. As BT says you have to play to the LCD and unfortunately that means we have a lot of distracted dorky drivers out there.
Enforcement might be a different story. I think you could enforce handheld usage because if you are seen holding your phone to your ear you are clearly on the phone. Bluetooth...can't prove you were using it unless you get the phone records out to prove it and that could definitely be more $ than its worth.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #134
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Nope, can't enforce it. Just because I have a bluetooth in my ear doesn't mean I'm on the phone. Maybe I use it when I pull over or park to make a call. You have to catch someone in the act of committing a crime before you can enforce it.
You did not read what Jenny said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
They can make it against the law to wear a bluetooth device when driving.
If that is the case then they can most certainly enforce it. If they see it in your ear then you get a ticket. They would be catching you in the act of committing a crime.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #135
Head Chef
 
Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Ahhhh, now you're getting it. That's exactly the point I was trying to make. I just came home from having lunch with friends and I had one friend in the car. She was talking to me and I made the wrong turn going in the opposite direction. I was distracted by my friends' conversation. My cell phone was not in my hand. Not a dangerous move, just distracted enough to make a wrong turn.
So, are you saying that since there are already lots of distractions while driving, what's one more?

The thing is cell phone usage has proven to be a HUGE distraction. Unlike other distractions that may only last a minute or so, talking on the cell phone often times lasts for the entire time people are in their vehicle.

My husband drives an 18-wheeler and is constantly complaining about all of the bad drivers on cell phones...pacing the vehicle next to them...drifting in and out of their lanes...going 75 on I-75 one minute and 40 the next...having an arguement and their hands will be flailing in the air...and the list goes on. He says the worst are women in SUV's on a cell phone. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with him.
__________________
www.Mamas-Southern-Cooking.com
Mama is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #136
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Mama, I absolutely believe your husband and agree with him. Can you ask him whether those drivers were using handheld or regular cell phones? I'd bet on the latter.

GB, do you think they WOULD make it illegal to wear a Bluetooth? That just sounds a bit over the top to me. You would know better than I would though.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #137
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I have no opinion one way or the other if they would make wearing one illegal. I have seen crazier things, but I can't really get into them because of the no politics rule. I will say that say some states made it illegal to have a radar detector in your car though so I do not think it would be out of the realm of possibility to do the same for wearing a bluetooth.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #138
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Wow.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #139
Head Chef
 
Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,810
He said that when he sees a driver who is driving erratically, they are usually either:

1) talking on a hand-held cell phone,

or

2) either talking to themselves or on a hands-free device because he can't necessarily see their ear.

Maybe 3/4 hands-on and 1/4 hands free which is probably because that since it is not required here, most people don't own/use a hands-free device. Doesn't make them less distracting, just not used as much.

It can't be denied that most people who use a cellphone while driving do not just talk for a few minutes. Conversations last for quite a while. It's not like other distractions that usually only last for a few seconds like changing the station on the radio, yelling at the kids in the backseat (I used to threaten to, and on several occassions did, pull the car over...they knew that was the last thing they wanted me to do), taking a sip of coffee...whatever...other distractions ususally only last for a few seconds. Not that you should ever be distracted from your driving but the fact of the matter is that we live in the real world and there will be distractions. But, if a distraction can be avoided, why not? When is a conversation more important than the life or property of another person?
__________________
www.Mamas-Southern-Cooking.com
Mama is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #140
Head Chef
 
Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
GB, do you think they WOULD make it illegal to wear a Bluetooth? That just sounds a bit over the top to me. You would know better than I would though.
In the states where it is illegal to use a hand-held device, do you think they can't give you a ticket for holding the phone up to your ear even if you say it's not in use?
__________________

__________________
www.Mamas-Southern-Cooking.com
Mama is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.