"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
After almost being killed in an accident a few years ago (not my fault, by the way), I've become very sensitive to things that distract me while driving. Even something as minor as a smear on the windshield. Having said that, I have a cell phone and rarely use it while driving.

Also, I've been nearly broadsided by drivers who were eating or drinking something.

Driving has become such a defensive activity that I only drive as necessary. Used to enjoy driving.

Yes, cell phones are a problem but, so is eating, drinking, putting on make-up, etc., etc., etc....while driving.

I don't think this law will make any real difference but I might be proven wrong.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #32
Head Chef

Even good multi-taskers can be distracted. With my life at stake, I prefer no cells. But that is just me.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #33
Sous Chef

I could care less who's talking on the phone, as long as they aren't hogging up the left lane!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #34
Master Chef

For the trips I make, there is no good reason that I can't wait to get to my destination to return the call or make a call. And if it is that important, I will pull into a gas station or some other well lit place to do what I need to do. I for one do not talk on a cell while driving or advocate it. I can't talk on a cell while driving, much less do anything else. In my opinioin, when I am driving, I have a very leathal weapon in my hands and I would prefer to concentrate on my driving and watching out for those who are on there cells and doing all those other things except driving. Most of the near misses I have had have involved somebody yappin/texting on a phone.

But I have seen folks doing things like mentioned before, makeup, eating a bowl of cereal, reading... all those are just as dangerous, if not more. But the majority of the folks you see are on cell phones. So I guess that is why it is getting singled out.

My thoughts for what they are worth, and I work for a cell company.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I put my phone on speaker phone when Im in the car. To me there is no difference then if someone is in the car with me. on speaker my hands are free and I'm talking and listening just like if someone was in the car or I was singing to the radio.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

i drive A LOT in heavy traffic on a daily basis. even at high speeds.

it gives me the oppurtunity to drive next to, or pass and be passed bad drivers very frequently.

much more often than not, maybe 90% or better, the driver that is swerving (even slightly), or changing speeds irregularly, or just not "gowing with the flow" is either using a cell phone or is obviously having a conversation with one of those lt. uhura things in their ears. (either that, or they're just nuts and are talking to themselves).

i'm usually on the side of freedom and personal responsibility, but this is way too much.

sometimes, very rarely, people do need to be protected from themselves. well, at least from hurting others. most accidents involve more than one car, so even though a few are capable of driving well through audible distractions, the vast majority cannot.

if you really need to talk, pull over somewhere for that critical minute or two.

as far as driving by using mirrors goes: that's just plain stupid. how much effort does it take to turn your head and look? you're operating something with far more mass and inertia than you realize until it's too late. like a pilot, keep your head on a swivel.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #37
Sous Chef

I just set my phone to answer on the third ring and clip it to the sun visor. If it rings, it answers on speaker, talks to me, I talk to it, when the caller hangs up, it hangs up. I bought my first cell phone for this feature, and I wouldn't buy a cell phone that didn't have it.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...as far as driving by using mirrors goes: that's just plain stupid. how much effort does it take to turn your head and look? you're operating something with far more mass and inertia than you realize until it's too late. like a pilot, keep your head on a swivel.

Bucky, I have to disagree.

Actually, with a slight eye movements to the left and right, you can check both mirrors and still be facing front. I believe this is a lot safer than turning your head 90 degrees to the left or right. And that only works if a door post or obstructed rear side window doesn't block your view.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #39
Master Chef

We were not taught to replace turning your head to look with this method of mirror adjustment, rather it was to diminish or even eliminate the blind spot so that in conjunction with all the other skills you use it improves safety.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #40
Everymom

I have to say, I can appreciate the fact that everyone wants to be safe while in their vehicles or on the road. I think the point is we all need to make safe choices whether that means not using a cell phone, not drinking a coffee, or not putting on make up. Seriously.

I fail to see the necessity for new laws when the existing ones cover these eventualities. Or are the laws different in the US than they are in Canada? As I mentioned before we have one about paying due care and attention which covers the whole texting/cell phone yakking thing.

For the record, I drive teens regularly, and have driven children in a minivan for years. No one can tell me I'm a worse driver with my bluetooth on than I was with juice boxes tossed at my noggin.

Closed Thread