"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #61
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I believe the difference between talking on the phone and talking to someone in the passenger seat is that the person in the passenger seat can see what is going on the road and knows when to shut up and let you concentrate. The person on the cell phone only sees what is going on in their own location.
I do not think that is much of a difference.

For one thing, just because they can see what is going on in front of them does not mean they will be able to alert the driver with enough time for the driver to react. When accidents happen it is often because of split second decisions. Also very often, the person in the passengers seat is not even looking at the road. I know when my wife is a passenger and I am driving she is looking at me when talking to me or she might be looking at the kids behind us or reading a magazine or looking at the car next to us.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #62
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I believe the difference between talking on the phone and talking to someone in the passenger seat is that the person in the passenger seat can see what is going on the road and knows when to shut up and let you concentrate. The person on the cell phone only sees what is going on in their own location.
Agree. Also, your passenger in the front seat can hit the brake pedal that's not there....

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
I put my phone on speaker phone when Im in the car. To me there is no difference then if someone is in the car with me. on speaker my hands are free and I'm talking and listening just like if someone was in the car or I was singing to the radio.
You are the only one who actually responded to my question. The question was not about whether we should outlaw cell phones, the question was about the DIFFERENCE between using a bluetooth or talking to someone who is sitting next to you. I've been driving for over 50 years, and have had others in the car with me while driving most of those years. You are never going to convince me that you aren't looking at each other once in a while while talking. The passengers are NOT watching the road, they're involved in a conversation and they are expecting ME to watch the road.

As for the comment about my not being able to see a car in my blind spot because of the headset, please Google "Bluetooth" and see what this thing actually looks like. It's about 2 inches long and fits in your ear. No way can there be an obstruction. And my mirrors are set so I can see everything, everywhere all the time. I drive a Buick Rendevous and the mirrors are huge. But that's not the point. My point is: What is the difference between using a bluetooth or talking to a live person? The law is specific and I'm wondering why. If you outlaw headsets because the conversation is distracting, then you have to outlaw driving with a passenger in the car. Get it? NOW tell me what you think. And thanks Alix for understanding.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #64
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
Nobody calls me while I'm driving... I don't have any friends...
Thanks, we needed that.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #65
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
The law is specific and I'm wondering why. If you outlaw headsets because the conversation is distracting, then you have to outlaw driving with a passenger in the car.
It is very simple. Laws have to be enforceable. There is no way to enforce a law that says you can't talk to a person sitting next to you in a car. not to mention that a law like that would never pass. No one is going to agree to not talking to someone while driving. It is just not realistic. Enforcing a law that says you can't use a bluetooth with driving with come with its own set of challenges in enforcing it, but it is much more doable that outlawing talking to a person in your car while driving.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #66
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not think that is much of a difference.

For one thing, just because they can see what is going on in front of them does not mean they will be able to alert the driver with enough time for the driver to react. When accidents happen it is often because of split second decisions. Also very often, the person in the passengers seat is not even looking at the road. I know when my wife is a passenger and I am driving she is looking at me when talking to me or she might be looking at the kids behind us or reading a magazine or looking at the car next to us.
Yep GB I'm like your wife. When I'm the passenger, often we play "punchbug" (without punching to distract the driver of course) or the license plate game. No way am I paying attention like I would be if I were driving. That is not my job while I'm in the passenger seat.

And apologies DQ for not staying more on topic. I think I have been clear that I don't see a difference between conversation with passengers and conversation on a bluetooth or other hands free device. And to comment on the passenger should know when to shut up and let the driver concentrate...agreed, but again, in the real world how often does that happen? The passenger is often dealing with the kids, reading, working on a laptop...all the things the driver SHOULDN'T be doing.

DQ, you should start a poll to see what folks think about this. I think you are going to need quite a few options though.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #67
Certified Pretend Chef

Evidence also shows that teenage drivers have many more accidents when driving with other teens in the car (as compared to driving alone). No cell phones involved.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #68
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It is very simple. Laws have to be enforceable. There is no way to enforce a law that says you can't talk to a person sitting next to you in a car. not to mention that a law like that would never pass. No one is going to agree to not talking to someone while driving. It is just not realistic. Enforcing a law that says you can't use a bluetooth with driving with come with its own set of challenges in enforcing it, but it is much more doable that outlawing talking to a person in your car while driving.
Agreed GB, but there are jillions of laws on the books that are unenforceable. (You have to go read the Balderdash game, I laugh my butt off everytime we play it) It still seems to me that there is ALREADY a law that covers this particular situation, so I fail to understand why they would need another. (DQ, sorry to hijack a bit here) Am I missing something? Why would you need a law about cellphone usage (either hands free or not), or a law about talking to a passenger, or about drinking coffee or anything else a driver is doing? Does the US not have the citation in place about "driving with due care and attention"? If you get in an accident because you are acting like a dork behind the wheel for whatever reason doesn't that law cover it?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #69
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

DQ, you should start a poll to see what folks think about this. I think you are going to need quite a few options though.
I DID start a poll, right here, but it ain't workin'. But I have to admit a lot of people have a lot of different views on cell phones even though that wasn't the point of the original question. I like the differences of opinions. I have no desire to give up my bluetooth. It keeps my hands on the wheel, and I CAN concentrate on my driving. Never had a ticket or an accident (that was my fault) in my life. And I will blog about the cell phone issue.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #70
Chief Eating Officer

I will go one step further to say that I think talking to a person in the passenger seat could even be more distracting than talking on a hands free phone. I know that when I talk to someone next to me then I do turn and look at them from time to time. On the phone, I do not do that. My eyes stay on the road.

Closed Thread