"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, I have an idea.
Let's make non-prescription drugs illegal and while we are at it, underage drinking. Might as well end all our problems. Obviously making those things harder to obtain will stop all the problems associated with them.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think what upsets me the most regarding all these school shootings is the parents. "We had no idea that (the student) had these in his/her room."

My kids were never entitled to their total privacy until they were out on their own. It is my house, and I will nose around where ever I want to. When you earn the most money and support the home completely on your own, then you make the rules. Sure I found the occasional Playboy under the mattress. Better that than a gun. Some things I let slide, some I didn't. Dirty laundry tossed under the bed was a no no. The hamper is not that far away. Trash on the floor. Every room had a waste basket. And I made it a practice to read some of it. Mostly love letters to their latest unattainable interest.

Never did I find a word about killings, guns, etc.
As it should be. Don't hold with allowing children to have secrets from their adults. Mind you, I don't think adults should have secrets from their children either.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
I've worked in commercial aviation all my life and we have gone to great lengthright to keep and bear armss to secure airline crews, especially pilots. The flight deck doors serve the same purpose as the barrier door in the video.

If and when that becomes a reality, I'm still for the temporary solution of deputizing/training and arming volunteer administrators and teachers, or at least having an armed law enforcement officer physically present on every school campus.
Don't you, perhaps, think that the "the right to keep and bear arms," might be the problem in the first place? It's not as if you have to defend yourselves against King George III, red indians and Jesse James anymore.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hey, I have an idea.
Let's make non-prescription drugs illegal and while we are at it, underage drinking. Might as well end all our problems. Obviously making those things harder to obtain will stop all the problems associated with them.
Yep ---- That'll do it
Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I just had this discussion yesterday on Facebook

IMO, the goal is not to disarm the entire population. The goal is to reduce gun violence - not eliminate, because I think that's not possible in this country, but we can reduce it significantly. There are several ways to help make that happen:
  • require background checks on all gun purchases
  • require training in firearm use and safety practices (there have been a lot of accidents involving children reported lately)
  • restrict sales of high-capacity magazines (some shooters have been stopped by bystanders when they stopped shooting to reload)
  • require registration of all firearms, like with cars, so police can track who owns a gun used in the commission of a crime

From the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence: "BREAKING NEWS: Reynolds High School shooter in Troutdale, Oregon, identified as 15-year-old Jared Padgett. He was armed with an AR-15, a semiautomatic handgun and 9 high-capacity ammunition magazines. He got all of it from home."
Old 06-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
Master Chef

IMO the problem has less to do with guns and more to do with teaching young people how to handle themselves and deal with emotions. I think this kind of emotional coaching was more natural years ago when children were raised by family members, that had a vested interest in them, and not by strangers. Looking back I think that we had much less time alone and much less privacy when we were growing up than kids do today. I think that unrestricted access to the internet contributes to this problem. I believe that young people deserve privacy, but I also firmly believe that telephones, computers, etc... should be in common areas where an adult can casually monitor what is going on.

I am concerned that in the US when these things happen we come up with solutions and preventive measures that cost billions of dollars and only create the illusion of safety. Most of these measures really do nothing to solve the problem or protect us they just create additional expense and bureaucracy.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I can sympathize with the belief that more gun control will fix the problem, but the fact is there is more gun control now than there was thirty years ago when we did not have this problem. And yes we had AR 15's and high capacity magazines back then, too. You could walk into any department store and walk out with a rifle, 100 rounds of ammo and five magazines ten minutes later.
Addie had it right when she said that more parental control needs to happen. It is a generational problem and taking away one method will only have it replaced with another.
It's like saying that making computers harder to get and limiting sales of the components that make them functional will stop the increase in teen suicides. Kids will simply find a different way to pick on one another and every honest person who had no problem using a computer and putting up with strangers' nonsense will have to put up with it.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
IMO the problem has less to do with guns and more to do with teaching young people how to handle themselves and deal with emotions. I think this kind of emotional coaching was more natural years ago when children were raised by family members, that had a vested interest in them, and not by strangers. Looking back I think that we had much less time alone and much less privacy when we were growing up than kids do today. I think that unrestricted access to the internet contributes to this problem. I believe that young people deserve privacy, but I also firmly believe that telephones, computers, etc... should be in common areas where an adult can casually monitor what is going on.

I am concerned that in the US when these things happen we come up with solutions and preventive measures that cost billions of dollars and only create the illusion of safety. Most of these measures really do nothing to solve the problem or protect us they just create additional expense and bureaucracy.

Exactly my thoughts as I was typing. People always want to pass blame. Certainly the kid's parents aren't to blame, it's the easy access to the gun
Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We need more mental health services that are readily accessible for everyone. These are being cut, and in many areas, just aren't available. And parents, teachers, and others who notice troubled kids shouldn't have to fear retribution if they report them.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Exactly my thoughts as I was typing. People always want to pass blame. Certainly the kid's parents aren't to blame, it's the easy access to the gun
I consider parents primarily responsible for their children. Sadly, parents aren't always up to the job. I'm not sure what makes a teen boy think the solution is to go to a school and shoot children.

I'm not sure parents can prevent it. I see lots of factors that contribute. Violence in movies and on TV is orders of magnitude greater than in the past. There is an increase in violence throughout society.

This attitude towards violence is at the heart of it. It has become the easy solution to your problems to attack your 'enemy'. The ready availability of assault weapons just makes it easier to do it in a big way.

If there were no guns available to these kids, there would be no school shootings. Maybe there would be school bombings instead, or school poisonings.

As I said before, I wish I had the perfect solution. Not sure there is one.