This might help with all the school shootings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmmm, I read the words "teacher" and "12 ga" and I thought they were onto something...

...or a simple heavy duty sliding bolt lock mounted high

I really don't understand why something new had to be invented when a sliding bolt would accomplish the same thing, and even better. But of course, installing them on every classroom door can be a pain, and not to mention the cost of labor to install them.

Last edited:
What I like is that they're being proactive. A very simple solution to a complex problem? A start. A bolt wouldn't withstand 550 pounds.

These shootings have gone beyond ridiculous.

Any locking device is going to have to pass fire inspection. Let alone ADA.
That's the world we live in.

I'm glad to see that people are thinking about ways to protect the kids and this thing is better than nothing.

I would think the shooter would just start shooting at the window next to the door.

I would also be concerned that some of our "brighter" children would use the device to keep the teacher out of the room or barricade kids in the room etc...

Any locking device is going to have to pass fire inspection. Let alone ADA.
That's the world we live in.

Several businesses here are already using it. It slides on and off very easily.

Better something than nothing!

Last edited:
The frequent school shootings make me so sad and angry....it seems every time I turn on the news these days, this is happening. GRRRR! I agree that anything pro active is better than nothing.

What in the he!! is happening with our kids. It's just heartbreaking. :(

It just breaks my heart every time I hear of another shooting. Seems there's been one daily lately.

I think what upsets me the most regarding all these school shootings is the parents. "We had no idea that (the student) had these in his/her room."

My kids were never entitled to their total privacy until they were out on their own. It is my house, and I will nose around where ever I want to. When you earn the most money and support the home completely on your own, then you make the rules. Sure I found the occasional Playboy under the mattress. Better that than a gun. Some things I let slide, some I didn't. Dirty laundry tossed under the bed was a no no. The hamper is not that far away. Trash on the floor. Every room had a waste basket. And I made it a practice to read some of it. Mostly love letters to their latest unattainable interest.

Never did I find a word about killings, guns, etc. :angel:

I've worked in commercial aviation all my life and we have gone to great lengths to secure airline crews, especially pilots. The flight deck doors serve the same purpose as the barrier door in the video.

If and when that becomes a reality, I'm still for the temporary solution of deputizing/training and arming volunteer administrators and teachers, or at least having an armed law enforcement officer physically present on every school campus.

I've worked in commercial aviation all my life and we have gone to great lengths to secure airline crews, especially pilots. The flight deck doors serve the same purpose as the barrier door in the video.

If and when that becomes a reality, I'm still for the temporary solution of deputizing/training and arming volunteer administrators and teachers, or at least having an armed law enforcement officer physically present on every school campus.

We already have armed volunteers in the schools. They are called the students.

Unfortunately in Boston, we have armed Boston Police Officers patrolling the schools corridors in some of our schools. :angel:

It looks good to me. I also don't think a sliding bolt would be as strong, but either device is better than nothing when seconds count.
I also wonder about people that say they had no idea that their kids had guns in their room. There's more to raising kids than throwing money at them in hopes of keeping them occupied.

Last edited:
I hesitate to mention this as it might start a riot around here, but um...how about making firearms less accessible? I get that its in your constitution to bear arms, but it seems to me that if you can't get a gun you can't shoot anyone. Its like keeping other dangerous items away from your kids. You turn pot handles to the inside of the range so toddlers can't yank on them, you put plug covers on outlets so they can't stick things in there. If they can't get at the dangerous items they can't use them.

Also, sorry folks, I'm pretty Canadian here. The only guns I've seen are on the hips of our police. I've held one (because my best friend is a cop) and I've shot a BB gun, but if I wanted to buy a handgun I would have to look pretty hard to find one, and then the hoops I'd have to jump through are significant. Finding any kind of automatic or semi automatic would be far more difficult.

Maybe I'm just weird but I would never go through my kids' things. Their rooms and "stuff" belong to them, not me. I'd never have trusted my Mom again if she'd read my diary and so I never read my kids stuff either. I figure I'm savvy enough to pick on when they're acting weird and we can deal with stuff then. I've not seen much reported about the shooter, but I expect we will hear a lot about odd behaviour and isolation.

I've already said some prayers for that town and the family of the young man who was killed. My heart is heavy.

Alix, I agree with your point but hesitated to mention it here. I don't have an issue with guns. They serve useful purposes. However, whenever you see statistics about gun related violence in other countries, the numbers are stunningly lower than here. There has to be some way of controlling access.

As I said above, I wish I had the perfect solution.

Agreed Andy. I think they have a purpose, I just don't personally HAVE a purpose for them. And I looked up some statistics as well and it truly is a staggering figure.

It looks good to me. I also don't think a sliding bolt would be as strong, but either device is better than nothing when seconds count.
I also wonder about people that say they had no idea that their kids had guns in their room. There's more to raising kids than throwing money at them in hopes of keeping them occupied.

You can also blame it on the gun culture here and the ease of acquiring guns but there's no turning around on that, I know.

Any add on locking device is only as strong as the door closure hardware used. Actually, a commercial sliding bolt that bolts through the door jam is much stronger. The boot is only as strong as the screws used to mount the door closer.

I hesitate to mention this as it might start a riot around here, but um...how about making firearms less accessible? I get that its in your constitution to bear arms, but it seems to me that if you can't get a gun you can't shoot anyone. Its like keeping other dangerous items away from your kids. You turn pot handles to the inside of the range so toddlers can't yank on them, you put plug covers on outlets so they can't stick things in there. If they can't get at the dangerous items they can't use them.

Also, sorry folks, I'm pretty Canadian here. The only guns I've seen are on the hips of our police. I've held one (because my best friend is a cop) and I've shot a BB gun, but if I wanted to buy a handgun I would have to look pretty hard to find one, and then the hoops I'd have to jump through are significant. Finding any kind of automatic or semi automatic would be far more difficult.

It seems our Canadian neighbors to our north have more sense than many of us here in America.
You are right. Make guns hard to come by and it makes them harder to get into anyones hand, including the bad guys.

You see, someone is going to point out next, that if we remove guns from the law abiding, only the criminals will have them.
It is a silly argument and the NRA is fostering these falsehoods upon our people.

Its time we stop selling guns to anyone who wants one. Its time we shut down gun shows where people can buy guns without background checks.
Its time to stop this senseless violence. Its time for strict gun laws and time for everyone who owns a gun to be checked over and over again to be certain they are suitable candidates for gun ownership. Just as we are tested for a drivers license, so should every single gun owner in this country.
Its time to put our future and our children's future first.

I read the constitution as the only people allowed to own guns is a well regulated militia. I know the US supreme court has already ruled on this and they were wrong? Very wrong and I hope one day, the second amendment is amended.
Frankly the US constitution is almost as old as this country and is in dire need of an overhaul. Trash the existing constitution.
I say start all over again and take into consideration we are in the 21st century.

Back
Top Bottom