This might help with all the school shootings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, I have an idea.
Let's make non-prescription drugs illegal and while we are at it, underage drinking. Might as well end all our problems. Obviously making those things harder to obtain will stop all the problems associated with them.

I think what upsets me the most regarding all these school shootings is the parents. "We had no idea that (the student) had these in his/her room."

My kids were never entitled to their total privacy until they were out on their own. It is my house, and I will nose around where ever I want to. When you earn the most money and support the home completely on your own, then you make the rules. Sure I found the occasional Playboy under the mattress. Better that than a gun. Some things I let slide, some I didn't. Dirty laundry tossed under the bed was a no no. The hamper is not that far away. Trash on the floor. Every room had a waste basket. And I made it a practice to read some of it. Mostly love letters to their latest unattainable interest.

Never did I find a word about killings, guns, etc. :angel:
As it should be. Don't hold with allowing children to have secrets from their adults. Mind you, I don't think adults should have secrets from their children either.

Last edited:
I've worked in commercial aviation all my life and we have gone to great lengthright to keep and bear armss to secure airline crews, especially pilots. The flight deck doors serve the same purpose as the barrier door in the video.

If and when that becomes a reality, I'm still for the temporary solution of deputizing/training and arming volunteer administrators and teachers, or at least having an armed law enforcement officer physically present on every school campus.
Don't you, perhaps, think that the "the right to keep and bear arms," might be the problem in the first place? It's not as if you have to defend yourselves against King George III, red indians and Jesse James anymore.

Hey, I have an idea.
Let's make non-prescription drugs illegal and while we are at it, underage drinking. Might as well end all our problems. Obviously making those things harder to obtain will stop all the problems associated with them.

Yep ---- That'll do it :LOL:

I just had this discussion yesterday on Facebook :)

IMO, the goal is not to disarm the entire population. The goal is to reduce gun violence - not eliminate, because I think that's not possible in this country, but we can reduce it significantly. There are several ways to help make that happen:

• require background checks on all gun purchases
  • require training in firearm use and safety practices (there have been a lot of accidents involving children reported lately)
  • restrict sales of high-capacity magazines (some shooters have been stopped by bystanders when they stopped shooting to reload)
  • require registration of all firearms, like with cars, so police can track who owns a gun used in the commission of a crime

From the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence: "BREAKING NEWS: Reynolds High School shooter in Troutdale, Oregon, identified as 15-year-old Jared Padgett. He was armed with an AR-15, a semiautomatic handgun and 9 high-capacity ammunition magazines. He got all of it from home."

Last edited:
IMO the problem has less to do with guns and more to do with teaching young people how to handle themselves and deal with emotions. I think this kind of emotional coaching was more natural years ago when children were raised by family members, that had a vested interest in them, and not by strangers. Looking back I think that we had much less time alone and much less privacy when we were growing up than kids do today. I think that unrestricted access to the internet contributes to this problem. I believe that young people deserve privacy, but I also firmly believe that telephones, computers, etc... should be in common areas where an adult can casually monitor what is going on.

I am concerned that in the US when these things happen we come up with solutions and preventive measures that cost billions of dollars and only create the illusion of safety. Most of these measures really do nothing to solve the problem or protect us they just create additional expense and bureaucracy.

I can sympathize with the belief that more gun control will fix the problem, but the fact is there is more gun control now than there was thirty years ago when we did not have this problem. And yes we had AR 15's and high capacity magazines back then, too. You could walk into any department store and walk out with a rifle, 100 rounds of ammo and five magazines ten minutes later.
Addie had it right when she said that more parental control needs to happen. It is a generational problem and taking away one method will only have it replaced with another.
It's like saying that making computers harder to get and limiting sales of the components that make them functional will stop the increase in teen suicides. Kids will simply find a different way to pick on one another and every honest person who had no problem using a computer and putting up with strangers' nonsense will have to put up with it.

IMO the problem has less to do with guns and more to do with teaching young people how to handle themselves and deal with emotions. I think this kind of emotional coaching was more natural years ago when children were raised by family members, that had a vested interest in them, and not by strangers. Looking back I think that we had much less time alone and much less privacy when we were growing up than kids do today. I think that unrestricted access to the internet contributes to this problem. I believe that young people deserve privacy, but I also firmly believe that telephones, computers, etc... should be in common areas where an adult can casually monitor what is going on.

I am concerned that in the US when these things happen we come up with solutions and preventive measures that cost billions of dollars and only create the illusion of safety. Most of these measures really do nothing to solve the problem or protect us they just create additional expense and bureaucracy.

Exactly my thoughts as I was typing. People always want to pass blame. Certainly the kid's parents aren't to blame, it's the easy access to the gun :rolleyes:

We need more mental health services that are readily accessible for everyone. These are being cut, and in many areas, just aren't available. And parents, teachers, and others who notice troubled kids shouldn't have to fear retribution if they report them.

Exactly my thoughts as I was typing. People always want to pass blame. Certainly the kid's parents aren't to blame, it's the easy access to the gun :rolleyes:

I consider parents primarily responsible for their children. Sadly, parents aren't always up to the job. I'm not sure what makes a teen boy think the solution is to go to a school and shoot children.

I'm not sure parents can prevent it. I see lots of factors that contribute. Violence in movies and on TV is orders of magnitude greater than in the past. There is an increase in violence throughout society.

This attitude towards violence is at the heart of it. It has become the easy solution to your problems to attack your 'enemy'. The ready availability of assault weapons just makes it easier to do it in a big way.

If there were no guns available to these kids, there would be no school shootings. Maybe there would be school bombings instead, or school poisonings.

As I said before, I wish I had the perfect solution. Not sure there is one.

We need more mental health services that are readily accessible for everyone. These are being cut, and in many areas, just aren't available. And parents, teachers, and others who notice troubled kids shouldn't have to fear retribution if they report them.

Exactly. It's the PC, don't step on any toes world we live in.

I consider parents primarily responsible for their children. Sadly, parents aren't always up to the job. I'm not sure what makes a teen boy think the solution is to go to a school and shoot children.

I'm not sure parents can prevent it. I see lots of factors that contribute. Violence in movies and on TV is orders of magnitude greater than in the past. There is an increase in violence throughout society.

This attitude towards violence is at the heart of it. It has become the easy solution to your problems to attack your 'enemy'. The ready availability of assault weapons just makes it easier to do it in a big way.

If there were no guns available to these kids, there would be no school shootings. Maybe there would be school bombings instead, or school poisonings.

As I said before, I wish I had the perfect solution. Not sure there is one.

There would be stabbings, like the kid in Pgh a month ago (or so). Twenty some people got stabbed. And he didn't look like a large or strong kid either.

True, guns make it easy, but where there's a will there's a way.

Our recent school attack was a stabbing rampage with 2 kitchen knives. Kitchen knives are available to every school student. No one died, but they could have. He is charged with 21 counts of attempted homicide and assault. He pleaded not guilty today. I am not sure if he's being charged as an adult or a juvenile. I still haven't heard if he stated a reason for his actions. He has the best Pittsburgh defense attorney that money can buy.

Another fatal attack happened at home instead of at school. A teen beat his brother to death with a baseball bat in an argument over a girl.

It doesn't have to be a gun.

I always searched my step-children's rooms. I did it because I didn't want any surprises. How many parents say they didn't know their kids were involved in this or that. I never found anything earth shattering....nothing I never did as a teen. It just gave me some peace of mind that they were good kids. I did this for their protection, which was my job!

Addie, if my kids left their dirty clothes on the floor they stayed there. It wasn't my job to pick them up. On washday, I washed what was in the hamper. Once they learned that their favorite outfit didn't get washed, they made sure they were in the hamper after that.

I can sympathize with the belief that more gun control will fix the problem, but the fact is there is more gun control now than there was thirty years ago when we did not have this problem. And yes we had AR 15's and high capacity magazines back then, too. You could walk into any department store and walk out with a rifle, 100 rounds of ammo and five magazines ten minutes later.

You should think about coming down to Virginia to a gun show. You can buy pretty much anything you want, in as large quantities as you want, out in the parking lot. No questions asked, no limits. You bring the cash, you take home whatever you want. We used to have a limit of one handgun purchase a month, because gang members from other states would come and buy trunkloads-full, but it was repealed a few years ago.

I'm not saying the availability of weapons and ammunition is the only problem. Certainly, our mental health care system needs much improvement and some parents need to take more responsibility for their children. But we all need to recognize that a lot of things have changed in our society in the last 30 years and take reasonable steps to do what we can to prevent more violence.

Last edited:
Our recent school attack was a stabbing rampage with 2 kitchen knives. Kitchen knives are available to every school student. No one died, but they could have.

But they didn't. It's a lot harder to murder a lot of people with a knife or a baseball bat than with a semi-automatic gun and several high-capacity magazines.

But they didn't. It's a lot harder to murder a lot of people with a knife or a baseball bat than with a semi-automatic gun and several high-capacity magazines.

There are sick, twisted people out there. Sadly, there are some who are quietly bat-crap crazy. Maybe with the proper medication and counseling, they wouldn't follow their urges.

Last edited:
You should think about coming down to Virginia to a gun show. You can buy pretty much anything you want, in as large quantities as you want, out in the parking lot. No questions asked, no limits. You bring the cash, you take home whatever you want. We used to have a limit of one handgun purchase a month, because gang members from other states would come and buy trunkloads-full, but it was repealed a few years ago.

I'm not saying the availability of weapons and ammunition is the only problem. Certainly, our mental health care system needs much improvement and some parents need to take more responsibility for their children. But we all need to recognize that a lot of things have changed in our society in the last 30 years and take reasonable steps to do what we can to prevent more violence.

I have to ask, GG. Have you actually been to a gun show in VA? I have, lots of them, both here and in NC. I have yet to see a pickup full of gangbangers from NY loading up guns out of a semi and taking off for NY. Security is tight, and any such activity would be immediately investigated.

Nearly all the actual arms dealers at these shows are FFL, and are fully vetted by management prior to being allowed to exhibit. Promoters have far too much to lose if activities as you describe were permitted. Background checks are made. Those that are not licensed are vendors selling antique firearms or non gun related items.

I agree. All I'm saying is you don't make it harder to buy a car because DUI's or hit and runs are up.
Something needs done, but it should address the immediate problem, which is, as already mentioned, the mental issues. What is it today that makes kids freak out so easily that wasn't here when we were growing up?

And I know it's just not kids, but most adults that go ballistic is a form of retalliation against oppression. Things go to extremes these days.

I agree. All I'm saying is you don't make it harder to buy a car because DUI's or hit and runs are up.
Something needs done, but it should address the immediate problem, which is, as already mentioned, the mental issues. What is it today that makes kids freak out so easily that wasn't here when we were growing up?

And I know it's just not kids, but most adults that go ballistic is a form of retalliation against oppression. Things go to extremes these days.

But we do require training, testing, licensing and registration when it comes to cars. I'm told by a friend who shoots for pleasure in Virginia and North Carolina that NC's training requirements for guns are practically worthless.

We've been talking about school shootings here, but they're not the only source of gun violence in this country.

I have to ask, GG. Have you actually been to a gun show in VA? I have, lots of them, both here and in NC. I have yet to see a pickup full of gangbangers from NY loading up guns out of a semi and taking off for NY. Security is tight, and any such activity would be immediately investigated.

Nearly all the actual arms dealers at these shows are FFL, and are fully vetted by management prior to being allowed to exhibit. Promoters have far too much to lose if activities as you describe were permitted. Background checks are made. Those that are not licensed are vendors selling antique firearms or non gun related items.

No, I haven't. I'm not comfortable around thousands of guns. I was referring to news reports from 20+ years ago, before Virginia passed the one-handgun-a-month law, since repealed.

I've also seen video of Colin Goddard, a survivor of the massacre at Virginia Tech, buying handguns and rifles, in some cases without even showing ID, with cash, without a background check, at gun shows across the country, to show how easy it is. It's his mission in life to close the loophole where people can buy firearms at gun shows without a background check.

Back
Top Bottom