"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef

This NEW GE Refrigerator also brews K-CUP coffee pods...

GE Cafe Series French door refrigerator with Keurig K-Cup Brewing System Preview - CNET

Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, yay, more stuff to break Not my style.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Master Chef

Yep, same here. I don't even like ice makers in them. I like them plain and simple, but good.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I am so done with the "do it all" refers, my sister has a tv in the door, crushed, cubed and slushed ice, cold water, hot water, etc... Its just silly and always broken...

I would get an under the counter ice maker and a built in water dispenser, then just a basic fridge with no internal water connection..

As far as the k-cups, I think they are too expensive, my wife uses the soft pods, the coffee tastes better, and they are cheaper, plus not as much to throw away..

we have this machine hard piped into the water line so she never has to fill it with water. https://commercialcatalog.bunn.com/p...wer-35400-0010

she gets pods here Melitta One:One Coffee Pods | Melitta Single Serve Ground Coffee she loves that brand and after coupons and free shipping she averages about 30 cents a cup with K cups like a lot of people I know use they average around 70 cents a cup and with K cups for some reason the coffee is not as strong my wife does a large cup with a single pod {they are the 2x thick ones} and with a k cup she needed 2 to get the coffee right and at that point you are better off just go to a coffee shop...

Anyway, I am waiting to see the refrigerator with a TV, blue tooth mp3 player, and microwave on the door...
Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Yep, same here. I don't even like ice makers in them. I like them plain and simple, but good.
My thoughts exactly, roadfix.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I like having an ice maker in the freezer compartment, we use quite a bit of ice since Rob drinks ice water almost exclusively, but if I was shopping for a high end fridge, I wouldn't even want water and ice in the door.

I'm someone that really likes gadgets, but when it comes to appliances I want them to do their intended function well without useless gimmicks. I want a top load washer that swishes my clothes around in soap, rinses and spins out the water, I don't need a computer board in my washer. I don't want a wifi enabled, touch screen, Keurig refrigerator. Now get off my lawn!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This NEW GE Refrigerator also brews K-CUP coffee pods...

...Now get off my lawn!

I agree, don't need any more failing parts, though I do like the in-door icemaker on our fridge.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

Who even thinks of all these bizarre options? Craziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I want a top load washer that swishes my clothes around in soap, rinses and spins out the water, I don't need a computer board in my washer.
When my old washer broke down I wanted to replace it with something similar and simple, such as where you set your own water level and water starts filling the tub as you pull the dial. Well, I couldn't find a large capacity washer with those simple mechanical features so I was forced to get one of those energy saving load sensor washers instead. Bad mistake. This washer "analyzes" the load at every cycle, adding about 30 minutes to the total wash time over the old washer. I can't set my own water level.
Often times I need to do 2 loads late at night so I can throw the loads into the dryer before going to bed. The 'brain' in this washer supposedly saves water but the one hour it takes to do each load just isn't worth it.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
When my old washer broke down I wanted to replace it with something similar and simple, such as where you set your own water level and water starts filling the tub as you pull the dial. Well, I couldn't find a large capacity washer with those simple mechanical features so I was forced to get one of those energy saving load sensor washers instead. Bad mistake. This washer "analyzes" the load at every cycle, adding about 30 minutes to the total wash time over the old washer. I can't set my own water level.
Often times I need to do 2 loads late at night so I can throw the loads into the dryer before going to bed. The 'brain' in this washer supposedly saves water but the one hour it takes to do each load just isn't worth it.
Mine is just a basic 10 year old GE and they still make one similar. It's average size but not super large, does the trick for us. Both my mom and my boss bought the same fancy "efficient" top loaders, they both hate them, they both have this issue where clothes come out smelling sour unless they manually set a very specific program. You can't just toss in clothes, they have to be arranged around the edge.

I hope that they don't try to build a Keurig into a washing machine next!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee