This year and next year --

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
In a paragraph or line or two, each, tell me what your last year has been and what you hope to be saying next year, this time!

Last year: The final wrap-up of my life after Buck died. That is, disposing of "stuff" and reconfiguring my current life. Hard work and, sometimes, stressful.

This year: Writing on the new, clean slate that Glenn and I have ahead of us even though we celebrated our second anniversary on Halloween. Now that much of my past baggage has been taken care of, there's a whole new page before us.

This year has been good overall, but quite tiring. I'm 56 years old, and have more aches and pains than I ever have. That said, I look at my much younger friends and sibs, and realize, I am lucky. I trained a dog, with a lot of help from my friends, DC and otherwise, and I really didn't think I could do it. Much more to go. My family is,for the most part, healthy, and you can't ask for more than that. I patched a relationship that I thought was gone forever. Marriage is good after 30 years.

Next year this time? I'd like to drink less. I really don't think it is feasible to exercise more, I do good there. I'd like to entertain more; I haven't been doing it as much as I'd like because I keep waiting for reciprocity that ain't gonna happen. I'd like to train Rosebud to not jump up on people. because I had to go into someone's home who is near and dear to me and found it filthy, I'm going to try to keep up with my housekeeping better so no one has to see my house at its worse.

The year 2011 was the year my dad was diagnosed with a glioblastoma multiforme and died 7 months later.

It was also the year James was offered what appeared to be a wonderful job opportunity but ended up delaying the hopes of a good job (which we are still looking for).

2011 was a year that brought much testing of our faith--I feel pretty confident in saying that we came through that test pretty well, with our faith intact.

At this time next year, I hope to be able to say that we are extremely happy with James's wonderful job, that we are proud to be debt free (or at least nearing that point), that James finally got to meet our youngest grandson and to see our other grandchildren for the first time since May 2003, and that I used every opportunity available to me throughout the year to share my faith in Jesus with as many people as possible.

I hope 2012 is a great year for you all! :cool:

This year: My health fell apart, heart attack, Diabetes...

Next year: My new weight loss will continue, I hope and I will get more exercise.

This year, the best that happened is Jr scored a good job after being laid off 2 1/2 years.

I was a busy man around the house this year. Remodeled the master bathroom. Carpet removal in basement family room and the whole first floor. Painted LR/ DR/ hallways, bedroom and den and bathroom. Replaced carpet with estate sale oriental rugs over existing hardwood floors. Had custom draperies made for LR/ DR. Painted the exterior trim on the house this fall. Continued to scale back the size of the garden, hauled in new dirt and grass seeded. Until a year ago, the garden encompassed 2/3 of the backyard. Now it is about 1/3 of the yard. It is much more manageable. My only unplanned expense and a big one, was needing a new furnace in November.

Next year-- I hope to report Successfully I quit smoking. Not just another attempt for the umpteenth time. My big project, starting in the spring, I will continue with the exterior windows, re-putty and then paint the windows. My kitchen project for next year is to plaster patch the ceiling, replace 1960's "modern" light fixtures, and repair or replace the oven. I keep pushing it back as something else always pops up. I miss my oven!!

Those are mostly about "things". More importantly, our family and I are healthy and I hope we stay this way next year. I walk or bike around a nearby lake and creekside often. It doesn't seem to do anything to reduce my pot belly. It keeps my spirits up and my legs strong. It will help me keep up with all of you in 2012 !!

Happy New Year.
Fred

Last edited:
You are all my heroes, you nonsmokers! Made it through Dallas with my e-cig. Will try it again on the way back.

Oh yeah, I did quit smoking on 1/8/11!
Has it really been that long?! It probably feels longer to you, but to me it seems like it was just a few months ago. You are doing great!

Congratulations to all of you who were able to kick the habit (it has been several years for James too). :flowers:

This past year I saw my youngest graduate from college, I finally found a job in my new field and love it. No health problems outside of the ongoing knee aches. My oldest child has met a wonderful girl and is talking marriage (they have some financial hurdles to jump first). The bad news was that my mother-in-law continues her decline into dementia but she has wonderful caretakers in her husband and her son and his wife (DH's brother).

I hope that next year at this time, I'll have achieved the next level of certification and will be able to branch out into some community interpreting. I'd like to find a new church home where we can become a part of the body of Christ. It has been good to step away from the busyness of church but I miss the worship. I would like to see the wedding of my son (that may have to wait another year though) and I'd like to see my other son become settled in a career (he's still looking for a job).

Whiskadoodle, I often feel that I work out more and eat less every year, but what happens? Where does it go? I gather you're a guy, but , and this is for all you gals, I was very, very pleased when I had my physical this year, and when the mam came up, the radiologist commented on my great pecs! So, even if it seems like you're not getting anywhere, maybe you're making your life better. Even just taking a walk or bicycle ride gets you outside, and that improves your attitude if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom