Thoughts for my family please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Our niece and nephew live in the community of Lillooet, BC, which is at the moment in the center of all the fires you may have heard about in my province during the past few weeks. I have had several people affected (one friend almost losing his house) but these kids are on both sides of the situation.

My niece is a paramedic in the community and her husband is the head of the search and rescue. So, besides being at very high risk of losing their own home, they are responsible for making sure others get out and on call for any emergencies.

At the moment they are on evacuation order, meaning that they have moved their headquarters across the river, though he is still in the area making sure everyone else is leaving.

Please keep my family and those in their community, as well as all the other communities affected, in your thoughts. I know these areas all so well and am having a really hard time dealing with the fact that they are being destroyed at this moment.

If you are interested in more information here is a link: BC Wildfires of Note. The fire affecting my Niece and Nephew is in the Kamloops Fire Centre, Mt. Mclean.

Thanks everyone. We are all very worried.

Thanks so much both of you, it means so much. And SC, I really appreciate all your help with links and information during these few weeks as well. My SIL has appreciated it as well.

You are very welcome. I know how scary wildland fires can be. Not only from work, but on a personal level also. My brother's home was threatened 3 years ago by a wildland fire. Luckily, the wind shifted and his town was safe.

Laurie, be comforted in the fact that your family members know what to do to keep safe since they are working to help others. God is watching over them as they do their jobs.

Laurie,
you have my thoughts and my prayers...May HE keep his hand on their shoulder.
cj

Thanks, everyone.

The last news I got from my SIL was that one of the two fires has jumped and now they are in danger on three sides (the fourth being the river, though it is down a treed cliff). But other than being exhausted they are in good spirits.

Laurie, your family is in our thoughts. They seem to be well prepared to deal with this situation.

Thanks, Andy, they are. However, they are quite young, and have worked so hard to get where they are.

Our main concern right now is not the house but our nephew, who has been working 20 hour days and could very well be right in the thick of the fire if people need to be rescued.

i know they well be safe, they have training . all the best to you and family. when he was young my husband used to hire on to hot shots. a forest service fire fighting group. i worried a lot, like your sister in law. wish her all the best

Thanks, everyone. The two of them are getting about 4 hours sleep and even though they are working "together" have only seen each other about four times for (quote) a quick kiss and a prayer (enquote). Gotta love these two. They work so hard for everyone else.

Word has it that the home and restaurant/pub that my SIL and her husband built are both gone now (they sold them about 5 years ago). I have memories of these places as well. Their pub is where I first met my wonderful hubby (though it was one of those 5 minute chance meetings where you won't ever see the person again. It took three more of these before he finally hired me and several more years before we realized it was more than business).

The kids are warn out, but they have faith and as many of you have said, experience in all of this. We just sit and wait.

Just learned that one of the three fires has broken the limits of the town. The kids got word to us that they had people slamming the door in their faces when they tried to get them out of their homes. The residents (many without insurance) are turning sprinklers on their houses and staying put to try to save them. This will do nothing in a wildfire. The police are putting them under arrest as soon as they do leave their houses for disregarding the order. Our Nephew is angry because he knows he is just going to have to go back and rescue these people, maybe even within hours.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers (and karma, Casper). I have let them know and they very much appreciate it.

Thanks, Bob,
I wanted to update things here but was waiting for confirmation of the news before I wrote it.

The people of Lillooet were allowed back home today, starting at noon by neighbourhood at 1 hour intervals. This was to make it orderly and it seemed to go smoothly. They are still on evacuation alert, and were told not to bring back valuables at this time, but for now the fire seems to have turned and the town is not in danger.

As for my family, my niece and nephew are exhausted and are not done yet of course. They have been given the evening off and are able to go home for about 8 hours. There is still no word about my ex-brother-in-law (my niece's Dad) who has now been missing for 4 days.

This ordeal is far from over, but I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. A whole community was at stake here, the homes and businesses of about 2,000 people. We need now to just hope and pray that the winds do not shift once again.

Laurie - Thanks for making my heart a little lighter tonight. Glad to hear the family is not in major danger at the moment, but I am still hoping the ex-brother in law is also safe.

Bob

Laurie - Thanks for making my heart a little lighter tonight. Glad to hear the family is not in major danger at the moment, but I am still hoping the ex-brother in law is also safe.

Bob

Thanks, Bob, me too. Any differences between him and my SIL aside, he is my niece's Dad and was doing a very selfless thing by using his company to help people evacuate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom