"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Steve, I really hope you get to the Amalfi coast in Italy. It's one of my very favorite places in the world.
Oh, we've been there once already (twice for me)... but we enjoyed it so much that we'd like to return again.

And I agree with you about leaving the driving to others. Those cliff-hugging narrow roads scare the bejeezuz out of me.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou
This all sounds wonderful! We are going to be visiting family in Virginia Beach and Raleigh N.C. then to New York State family again in Ithaca, N.Y.. We'll then go to the Adirondacks in New York (we used to live there) and have rented a cottage on a lake for 8 days. Then make our way back to Florida.
VA Beach is were I grew up. If you leave there an travel the 64 towards Richmond connecting to the 95 outside of Williamsburg there's a barbecue pit called Peirce's. Do yourself a favor and stop there. Get the barbecue sandwich with coleslaw. Its been around forever and there is a reason it's a local favorite.
As for my vacation I'm head to Sand Diego in a few days. I'm going to be off work till the 16th and plan on enjoying myself.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
...We'll then go to the Adirondacks in New York (we used to live there) and have rented a cottage on a lake for 8 days.
Great place for a vacation!! I grew up in that area and spent one whole summer living and working in Lake George.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Katie and Lynda,

North Carolina is a beautiful state. Moorehead on The Outer Banks is one of my fave spots. Also, there are 80 wineries and 20 breweries in N.C.

They have a Wine festival The 1st week of October called GREAT GRAPES: www.uncorkthefun.com which takes place in the Charlotte region

They also have a Beer Festival the same week of October:
www.allaboutbeer.com/wbf which takes place in Durham

The seafood festival takes place in Moorehead - The Outer Banks:

www.ncseafoodfestival.org

Coastal N.C. is a lovely zone and many years ago before relocating to South Miami Beach in 1986, we had spent some time in Nags Head, Cape Hattaras, Moorehead, Kitty Hawk ... We have long term good friends there ...

Thanks for sharing and feedback,
Ciao, Grazie,
Margi.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Dear Steve and Kayelle,

Firstly, let me take a moment to thank Kayelle for uploading the stunning photo ...

Amalfi Coast, Napoli, Ischia, Capri, Sorrento etcetra ... Campagnia is a truly lovely destination ... The epicurism and wines of this region are heavenly.
The desserts are wonderful too.

The twisting crawling snake labriyinth maze like drive down the Amalfi Coast, is unforgettable ! However, it is what makes this region, one of the most memorable of a lifetime ... Drive it or share the drive with friends because if you do not drive it, ( about 30 kilometres ) you shall miss one of the most magical of all places on the west coast of Italia. It is like right out of a Sophia Loren film ...

If you wish, I shall send you some restaurant and hotel info on the Amalfi coast and Napoli. Another must is the Ferry to Ischia.

Thanks for sharing and the feedback.
Grazie, Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Leasing This Space,

Thanks so much for your feedback and I shall make note of the BBQ venue mentioned for a future Virginia trip ... N.C., Virginia, and Washington D.C. are one of our fave zones in the USA ...

We love D.C. for culture & upscale and ethnic dining & wine & jazz - blues bars, and the Outer Banks for relaxation which includes the Virigina Coastal Region of course.

Grazie, Thanks again,
Ciao. Margi.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:49 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Tax Lady,

Thanks for your feedback. Copehagen sounds like a lovely choice.

We had been to Restaurant Noma before it had become the world´s number one restaurant voted by London Restaurant Magazine. We had also loved Christiansbörg.

Thanks for input.
Have a wonderful summer,
Margi.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Alix,

Gargano Peninsula, is made up of many small towns ... Puglia, is a place apart, with a gorgeous coastline and unspoilt beaches. The Adriactic is turquoise and Greek Sea Blue combined.

The southern villages of Ostuni, Alberobello and Martina Franca, are stunning and have lovely Trulli Architectural dwellings and boutique hotels.

Vieste is quite enchanting especially the Port, and this zone is known as Foggio. The seaviews are amazing.

Bari is an important Port and an airport city, the largest city in the province of Puglia.

The Gargano Peninsula is our home.

In Madrid Capital, we rent a Loft apartment.

Kind regards. Ciao.
Margi.