Thoughts on "Where to" for Summer Vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
;) Buonasera,

Since we are about to enter the month of June and Travel Agencies have tons of offers with discounts if bookings are made before the 15th June, has anybody been thinking about where they are going to spend their summer vacation ?

The first on my list is an escape over to Puglia, Italia on the sea overlooking the Adriatic, to work on a few projects pending.

Then, the Gals are meeting in Zürich, Switerland in August ... So, this is on the agenda, for a few days, and to refresh Sprüngli stock.

We shall probably head to the coast of Molise and Marche, should all be well to explore the Sea and the Epicurism ...

:) Have a wonderful summer vacation.

Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano

Last edited:
This all sounds wonderful! We are going to be visiting family in Virginia Beach and Raleigh N.C. then to New York State family again in Ithaca, N.Y.. We'll then go to the Adirondacks in New York (we used to live there) and have rented a cottage on a lake for 8 days. Then make our way back to Florida.

Lyndalou.

Sounds like a lovely trip ...

Have a wonderful time.

I had lived from 1986 to 1992 in South Miami Beach, and I must say, I do not know which was worse: The Hurricanes and horrendous Humidity and 95 degrees or the Desert Heat of Madrid Capital where it only rains once in a blue moon ! It is probably equivalent to Death Valley ? !

So, that is why, like you, we go to our Condo in Italia on Adriatic and over to Switzerland ... which is never 90 degrees farenheit ... It is gorgeous in the summer ... comfortable ...

We had made a few trips over the years driving from Miami to Manhattan ... There are quite a few interesting as well as uninteresting stops along the 28 hour trip ...

I like Nags Head, Kitty Hawk - NC and Virginia Beach very much. We have old university friends in Cape Hatteras and whenever we are in that zone, we always spend a couple of days catching up over dinners ...

ENJOY, AND THANKS FOR FEEDBACK.
Margi

Last edited:
We have old university friends in Cape Hatteras and whenever we are in that zone, we always spend a couple of days catching up over dinners ...
Margi

Ummmm...I love the Cape Hatteras area. My late husband, Buck, and I spent many, many years tent camping on the dunes on Ocrakoke Island. Awesome there and the most magnificent breakfast I've ever had was the morning Buck woke me with a breakfast of just-caught flounder from the surf that he'd cooked in browned butter and served with fresh lemon wedges. I can almost taste it now.

As for vacationing this year, Glenn and I had hoped to do some trips on the motorcycle and/or make a visit up to some of my family who live in the far northern Minnesota/Canada area.

However, our plans will have to be put off until next year as my best friend "Arthur," as in arthritis, has taken up very annoying and painful residence in my hands and right knee, so I'll be vacationing in the surgical unit of the area hospital.

No worry though, as this will get me into better shape to enjoy the future trips we will be taking.

Glenn's up for a knee replacement, too, which will help him feel much better.

This summer it's going to be "patch, patch, patch."

This year we are only taking a couple of small vacations. In two weeks we're driving to Lake of the Ozarks and then on to Branson, Missouri, where we're renting a condo. Our agenda: not doing much of anything. :)

Later in the year, we're headed down to Galena, Illinois to celebrate my father-in-law's 80th birthday. We will have four couples staying in a B&B.

Next year, DW and I are planning a trip to Europe to celebrate her 50th birthday. We celebrated her 40th in Paris. We're not sure where we will go this time. We've been talking about maybe Provence or the Amalfi coast in Italy. We vacationed in Sorrento several years ago, and would love to go back again. Another option is a Scandinavian cruise, though that's more on my wishlist than hers. :angel:

The first on my list is an escape over to Puglia, Italia on the sea overlooking the Adriatic, to work on a few projects pending.

I spent about 3 weeks in Gravina di Puglia a LONG time ago, and just loved it. Close to Bari and now THATS a party place! LOL! Where are you going in Puglia? I travelled a little bit there. Went to Taranto, Bari, and Matera. (Is Matera still in Puglia?) Lovely province.

Alix: Matera, Basilicata - Fanstastic Small City

Alix, Buonasera,

Firstly, my friend Giacinto and his wife Lucia and their little girl Alessia, have family in Matera ... Lucia is actually Spanish from Cantabria, in northern Spain ... Giacinto, is from Matera, and lives with his wife and little girl in Madrid. Alessia´s Baptism was in Matera in April, when we were last there.

The Gargano Peninsula is general zone in Puglia ... We know the region quite well, as we have a Condo in Gargano ... We also have travelled throughout the " boot " ... We like historic Vieste, Peschicci, Gargano Peninsula in general and further south, Lecce, Bari Port ( port ) amongst numerous other villages and towns ...

Lecce is where the aubergine or eggplant is grown ... Bari is a Port and we have gone to Corfu, Greece by Ferry ( 55 km. ) a one hour ride from Bari.

If you enjoy partying: then, perhaps Ibiza, Spain would be the place or Mykonos ... Rimini in Emilia Romagna : with 2 quakes 5.9 and 4.3 consecutively and aftermath tremors, I am uncertain at the moment. However, GARGANO IS FINE ... Lovely zone ... Love the Adriatic.

Have lovely evening.
Ciao.
Margi. :)

Bari it relatively quiet compared to the other three places I have just mentioned ...

Margi, I'm out of my party days. I leave that to my kids now. ;) Bari was rocking when I was there as it was World Cup. YIKES!

I'm envious of your lovely opportunities to vacation this summer. Sadly, I will be limited to just one week off and we plan to spend that in the mountains with family. Otherwise my summer will be spent working and then lounging on my patio.

We'll be leaving for Switzerland and France in less than a week. In Switzerland we'll be traveling up and down the mountains by trains and lifts and expect to see some extraordinary scenery on our own for seven days.
Then we will travel south for a full day by train through the country side of France to Nice on the French Riviera, where I will place a small wager on #17 at the Roulette wheel in Monte Carlo. That's yet another check off of my bucket list. Two days later we'll board a small sleek river boat with a French balcony cabin, for an eleven day cruise up the French waterways through the south of France and the vineyards of Burgundy and the lavender fields of Provence, ending the trip in Paris. It should be yet another dream fulfilled and we are both are like antique kids just thinking about it.

Steve, I really hope you get to the Amalfi coast in Italy. It's one of my very favorite places in the world. Do NOT attempt to drive it yourself however
. :shock: Here's a picture of the coast out our hotel window.

4663A.jpeg.w300h225.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, I really hope you get to the Amalfi coast in Italy. It's one of my very favorite places in the world.
Oh, we've been there once already (twice for me)... but we enjoyed it so much that we'd like to return again.

And I agree with you about leaving the driving to others. Those cliff-hugging narrow roads scare the bejeezuz out of me. :)

lyndalou said:
This all sounds wonderful! We are going to be visiting family in Virginia Beach and Raleigh N.C. then to New York State family again in Ithaca, N.Y.. We'll then go to the Adirondacks in New York (we used to live there) and have rented a cottage on a lake for 8 days. Then make our way back to Florida.

VA Beach is were I grew up. If you leave there an travel the 64 towards Richmond connecting to the 95 outside of Williamsburg there's a barbecue pit called Peirce's. Do yourself a favor and stop there. Get the barbecue sandwich with coleslaw. Its been around forever and there is a reason it's a local favorite.
As for my vacation I'm head to Sand Diego in a few days. I'm going to be off work till the 16th and plan on enjoying myself.

Katie and Lynda,

North Carolina is a beautiful state. Moorehead on The Outer Banks is one of my fave spots. Also, there are 80 wineries and 20 breweries in N.C.

They have a Wine festival The 1st week of October called GREAT GRAPES: www.uncorkthefun.com which takes place in the Charlotte region

They also have a Beer Festival the same week of October:
www.allaboutbeer.com/wbf which takes place in Durham

The seafood festival takes place in Moorehead - The Outer Banks:

www.ncseafoodfestival.org

Coastal N.C. is a lovely zone and many years ago before relocating to South Miami Beach in 1986, we had spent some time in Nags Head, Cape Hattaras, Moorehead, Kitty Hawk ... We have long term good friends there ...

Thanks for sharing and feedback,
Ciao, Grazie,
Margi.

Dear Steve and Kayelle,

Firstly, let me take a moment to thank Kayelle for uploading the stunning photo ...

Amalfi Coast, Napoli, Ischia, Capri, Sorrento etcetra ... Campagnia is a truly lovely destination ... The epicurism and wines of this region are heavenly.
The desserts are wonderful too.

The twisting crawling snake labriyinth maze like drive down the Amalfi Coast, is unforgettable ! However, it is what makes this region, one of the most memorable of a lifetime ... Drive it or share the drive with friends because if you do not drive it, ( about 30 kilometres ) you shall miss one of the most magical of all places on the west coast of Italia. It is like right out of a Sophia Loren film ...

If you wish, I shall send you some restaurant and hotel info on the Amalfi coast and Napoli. Another must is the Ferry to Ischia.

Thanks for sharing and the feedback.
Grazie, Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Leasing This Space,

Thanks so much for your feedback and I shall make note of the BBQ venue mentioned for a future Virginia trip ... N.C., Virginia, and Washington D.C. are one of our fave zones in the USA ...

We love D.C. for culture & upscale and ethnic dining & wine & jazz - blues bars, and the Outer Banks for relaxation which includes the Virigina Coastal Region of course.

Grazie, Thanks again,
Ciao. Margi.

Tax Lady,

Thanks for your feedback. Copehagen sounds like a lovely choice.

We had been to Restaurant Noma before it had become the world´s number one restaurant voted by London Restaurant Magazine. We had also loved Christiansbörg.

Thanks for input.
Have a wonderful summer,
Margi.

Alix,

Gargano Peninsula, is made up of many small towns ... Puglia, is a place apart, with a gorgeous coastline and unspoilt beaches. The Adriactic is turquoise and Greek Sea Blue combined.

The southern villages of Ostuni, Alberobello and Martina Franca, are stunning and have lovely Trulli Architectural dwellings and boutique hotels.

Vieste is quite enchanting especially the Port, and this zone is known as Foggio. The seaviews are amazing.

Bari is an important Port and an airport city, the largest city in the province of Puglia.

The Gargano Peninsula is our home.

In Madrid Capital, we rent a Loft apartment.

Kind regards. Ciao.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom