"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
How do you feel about people honking their horns at cars that have no place to go??
I was beside a lady going down a stretch of road. We were caught at every single light together in side-by-side lanes. Each time the traffic light just barely turned green she would lay on her horn at the car in front of her to GET OUT OF THE WAY, like they didn't know the light had turned green or something - by the last light I can't even tell you my reaction (of course my window was rolled DOWN so she would hear me) If you knew me you would be rolling on the floor laughing. All I knew was I could bolt if I needed to.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
OSunds like everyday on the 395 around DC. I feel your pain, Vera. Makes the weekend beverage that much tasty-er!

Old 09-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
OSunds like everyday on the 395 around DC. I feel your pain, Vera. Makes the weekend beverage that much tasty-er!
Yep, I went to tech school up there. And I thought Hampton Roads had bad traffic!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I was stuck behind a serious accident. The traffic was stopped while emergency vehicles did their work. It was winter and freezing cold. I had blown out my muffler earlier that day. If I ran the engine to keep warm, the noise was deafening. If I turned the engine off, I froze. I had to go to the bathroom and was missing my dinner. This all happened before the cell phone was generally in use so I was on my own.

So, VB, I can feel you pain, though prefer to get stuck in traffic on the way to work over getting stuck on the way home.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:05 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I was beside a lady going down a stretch of road. We were caught at every single light together in side-by-side lanes. Each time the traffic light just barely turned green she would lay on her horn at the car in front of her to GET OUT OF THE WAY, like they didn't know the light had turned green or something - by the last light I can't even tell you my reaction (of course my window was rolled DOWN so she would hear me) If you knew me you would be rolling on the floor laughing. All I knew was I could bolt if I needed to.

Sometimes, you just gotta voice your opinion!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I was stuck behind a serious accident. The traffic was stopped while emergency vehicles did their work. It was winter and freezing cold. I had blown out my muffler earlier that day. If I ran the engine to keep warm, the noise was deafening. If I turned the engine off, I froze. I had to go to the bathroom and was missing my dinner. This all happened before the cell phone was generally in use so I was on my own.

So, VB, I can feel you pain, though prefer to get stuck in traffic on the way to work over getting stuck on the way home.
Oh without a doubt, if you have to get stuck, do it on the way in, never on the way out!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Thank you all so much. Yesterday was a horror show to be sure, but, on the good side...I'll never have to do that day again.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #18
Head Chef

Thats why I like living in the great northern Minnesota, NO freeways.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

i was deftly able to avoid most of that yesterday, vb.

i'm back on day shifts as of this week, so i asked my boss if i could work 7a to 3p's, to beat traffic.
i always turn on traffic reports as soon as i get in my car in the morning, and i heard about the bridge. the tunnels were up to 45 minutes because everyone was avoiding the bridge.
but after 25 years of driving into nyc every day (i started commuting in for college at 17) i know a few tricks.
i took 46 up to the bend in pal park, then took local roads thru fort lee to the bridge. i figured the cops that normally control traffic flow would be busy, so the little local side approach to the bridge would be controlled just by the traffic lights. if you know which street to take, you can sail right thru to the tolls, which i did.
i was over the bridge in 20 minutes, and then i found a broken meter, so i parked for free. it was a good day.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #20
Head Chef

Years ago, we got stuck at morning rush hour in an expressway that turned into a virtual parking lot for 5 hours. Some cargo truck overturned at the foot of a bridge and made such a mess. No alternate routes for everybody. I can't remember how I got through that one without having to go to the bathroom!