Three Hours!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chopstix said:
Years ago, we got stuck at morning rush hour in an expressway that turned into a virtual parking lot for 5 hours. Some cargo truck overturned at the foot of a bridge and made such a mess. No alternate routes for everybody. I can't remember how I got through that one without having to go to the bathroom!

Porta-jane?

Oh WOW, Vera! I heard about that tie up yesterday as I was getting ready for work and was thinking how lucky I am that I take the PATH!

I hope you treated yourself very gently when you finally got to your destination, and all thru the rest of the day....

middie said:
I hate when people "rubberneck" from the opposite direction to see what's going on. I just wanna scream " That's a good way to cause ANOTHER accident you idiot ". But that'll only get me in trouble so I keep my big yap shut lol.

That kind of reminds me on several accidents that I was an eye-witness to.

I was on my way home from the fast food place I worked at. It had just rained, so the pavement was wet, but not totally slick. I was in a queue, waiting for the light to change. I had another half-mile to go to the next light, and it was only one lane in either direction, near one of the few bridges that cross the river in Tulsa. Needless to say, during rush hour, it's congested.

Anyway, the light changes. Cars are going through, and cresting the hills. There's a double-summit on this small hill, so when you crest the first hill, you can't see all the way to the next light. At the bottom of the second hill, out of sight, was a car stopped, trying to make a left turn against on-coming traffic. Everyone was slowing down, except for some lady, probably yapping on her cell. It was the car making the turn, another car, this one lady, a Tulsa PD squad car, then me. The lady looks up, saw the car in front of her stopped, tries to stop herself, and smacks into the car in front of her. The cop car tries to stop, realizes he can't, tries to swerve off the road, and smacks her in the right-rear corner. I try to stop, realize I'm not going to miss the squad car. I swerved in the same direction as the squad car, went off the road (no ditch), across the grass, and came to a stop inches away from a fence. The car that was making the turn managed to turn before he got smacked.

During the accident investigation (which was quick to get there, since it was officer-involved), I witnessed TWO other accidents. The first of those was a pizza driver, not watching the road, realized he was going to hit somebody, and swerved off the road, couldn't stop, and smacked into the Jeep that belonged to the lady that started it all. The second was a chain-reaction triple-rear-ending, started by someone not watching the road, they hit someone, and that car was pushed into a third car.

Nobody was seriously injured, thankfully. The officer that was involved banged his shin on the dash, but wasn't bleeding.

The only good thing that happened, was that one of the other cops that responded to the first accident happened to be someone I went to HS with, and I got to talk to him for a few.

buckytom said:
i was deftly able to avoid most of that yesterday, vb.

i'm back on day shifts as of this week, so i asked my boss if i could work 7a to 3p's, to beat traffic.
i always turn on traffic reports as soon as i get in my car in the morning, and i heard about the bridge. the tunnels were up to 45 minutes because everyone was avoiding the bridge.
but after 25 years of driving into nyc every day (i started commuting in for college at 17) i know a few tricks.
i took 46 up to the bend in pal park, then took local roads thru fort lee to the bridge. i figured the cops that normally control traffic flow would be busy, so the little local side approach to the bridge would be controlled just by the traffic lights. if you know which street to take, you can sail right thru to the tolls, which i did.
i was over the bridge in 20 minutes, and then i found a broken meter, so i parked for free. it was a good day. :)

How nice for you:-p. When I left the only problem they were talking about was the GWB. I expected heavier volume on the NYthruway so I was prepared for a slower go. It wasn't until I was getting onto the Thruway that I heard about the accident closing that road. Thing is, it probably happened about 10 minutes after I left the house. If it had been reported just 10 minutes later, rather than 20 I would have turned around and gone home!

ChefJune said:
Oh WOW, Vera! I heard about that tie up yesterday as I was getting ready for work and was thinking how lucky I am that I take the PATH!

I hope you treated yourself very gently when you finally got to your destination, and all thru the rest of the day....

I would have loved to..but the rest of the day turned horror show before I even got there. 5 catered events plus the usual cast of characters we serve on a daily basis.
I am planning to treat myself very well, tomorrow night:brows:

My sympathies, Vera. We have crappy traffic conditions here in the DC metro area as well. My office is 25 miles away, and it takes at least an hour to get home every afternoon without any accidents or even fender benders in the way - and I leave at 3 pm!

I used to work in the District - 40 miles away. One morning in the fall, it took 3 hours to get downtown. No accidents involved, just rain.

mudbug said:
My sympathies, Vera. We have crappy traffic conditions here in the DC metro area as well. My office is 25 miles away, and it takes at least an hour to get home every afternoon without any accidents or even fender benders in the way - and I leave at 3 pm!

I used to work in the District - 40 miles away. One morning in the fall, it took 3 hours to get downtown. No accidents involved, just rain.

Virtual positions...that's the way to go. My district manager recently informed me that she was taking another position in the company. She has young children and it seemed odd that she'd take a position that would require more travel than her current position. When I questioned her about it, she said it was a 'virtual position' which means she can do it from her home computer and special phone line billed to the company. I knew that my company had several virtual positions, but I didn't think the one she took was one of them. It just goes to show you just how much can really be done from home.
Now, if I can just figure out a way to cook from home and send the food to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom