Three Hours!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
I live approximately 35 miles from work....all highway, so it's generally free moving, breezy riding. I leave the house by 6:15am and am usually at work no later than 7am.

Today it took me 3 hours and 10 minutes:angry::censored::furious:. It all began with the George Washington bridge upper level being closed from 1:30am (fatal accident...always closes a road for the investigation)to 6:30am. The lower level was open but not to trucks or people without EZ pass. So, many people opted for the NY Thruway, which just so happens to be my road of choice. A double tractor trailer accident at exit 12 shut the whole shooting match down till they could move the behemoths, intertwined as they were, off all three lanes of pavement.

When I initially heard of the closure, I was just getting onto the Thruway. Too late to pass it by. No where to go once I got on because I wasn't sure about any other way to cross the Hudson River, other than getting to the river bank via back roads, and knocking on someone's door and asking them to take me across in their sail boat.:-p

So I sat, watching the traffic helicopters circle overhead like vultures eyeing carion. I watched people in other lanes move faster than I did, knowing that if I switched lanes the lane I moved into would cease to move. I watched the sun come up....until it was right in my eyes and I had to put the visor down. And the worst thing about being in traffic (when you don't have to use the bathroom, that is...) is when someone gets next to you and is blaring some horrible music that you are forced to endure because you have no where to go:bash:.

So, that's my vent. What is the worst thing you have to endure when you are stuck in traffic?

It was rap music, by the way...did I tell you it was rap? Don't you feel sorry for me? You have no idea how badly I wanted to just turn around and go home......

Oh Vera I'm so sorry you had such a bad day with traffic. I hope things go much smoother for you tomorrow. We have our share of closed highways due to fatal accidents also. Thankfully I'm never on the road when they happen.

Don't you just love it, Middie, when you are on the opposite side of traffic, whizzing along, whistling a happy tune?:angel: Don't you think, haha, it's not me:-p?

The whole day turned out to be a horror show. It can only get better from here.

I hate when people "rubberneck" from the opposite direction to see what's going on. I just wanna scream " That's a good way to cause ANOTHER accident you idiot ". But that'll only get me in trouble so I keep my big yap shut lol.

VeraBlue said:
So, that's my vent. What is the worst thing you have to endure when you are stuck in traffic?

listening to my hubby complain/yell/$^$**#@ about it!!! lol

I'm usually pretty laid back about delays. Usually there's an exit I can get off on or an alternate route, though it might be quite a bit longer....

If I have a traffic problem in front of me, I'm usually somewhere where I have no idea how to continue on by using an off ramp.

Having to 'wee' probably would be my nightmare...or running out of gas. :rolleyes:

KathyJ said:
listening to my hubby complain/yell/$^$**#@ about it!!! lol

I'm usually pretty laid back about delays. Usually there's an exit I can get off on or an alternate route, though it might be quite a bit longer....

I'm all for alternate routes too, regardless of how far out of the way they take you. I feel that moving is always better than sitting. Only problem was, I didn't know any other way across the river. The other bridge, that George Washington bridge was 25 miles away and the backup there, as a result of the overnight accident was 90 minutes.

From what I heard on the radio, every way across the Hudson River this morning was nothing but a big bowl of wrong.

How do you feel about people honking their horns at cars that have no place to go??:neutral:

Half Baked said:
If I have a traffic problem in front of me, I'm usually somewhere where I have no idea how to continue on by using an off ramp.

Having to 'wee' probably would be my nightmare...or running out of gas. :rolleyes:

At least if you run out of gas, you can call for roadside assistance...:ohmy:

I feel for you, vb - actually, my h does. He works around 30 miles from work, yet it takes 90 minutes each way. That's 15 hours each week he spends in traffic.

PS - you got karma for enduring that ordeal!

YIKES!!!!
19.gif
I live in the Chicagoland area. I feel your pain. :neutral: GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope your evening is better! :flowers:

VeraBlue said:
How do you feel about people honking their horns at cars that have no place to go??:neutral:

I was beside a lady going down a stretch of road. We were caught at every single light together in side-by-side lanes. Each time the traffic light just barely turned green she would lay on her horn at the car in front of her to GET OUT OF THE WAY, like they didn't know the light had turned green or something - by the last light I can't even tell you my reaction (of course my window was rolled DOWN so she would hear me) :ROFLMAO: :ohmy: If you knew me you would be rolling on the floor laughing. All I knew was I could bolt if I needed to.

:angel:

TATTRAT said:
OSunds like everyday on the 395 around DC. I feel your pain, Vera. Makes the weekend beverage that much tasty-er!

Yep, I went to tech school up there. And I thought Hampton Roads had bad traffic!

I was stuck behind a serious accident. The traffic was stopped while emergency vehicles did their work. It was winter and freezing cold. I had blown out my muffler earlier that day. If I ran the engine to keep warm, the noise was deafening. If I turned the engine off, I froze. I had to go to the bathroom and was missing my dinner. This all happened before the cell phone was generally in use so I was on my own.

So, VB, I can feel you pain, though prefer to get stuck in traffic on the way to work over getting stuck on the way home.

kitchenelf said:
I was beside a lady going down a stretch of road. We were caught at every single light together in side-by-side lanes. Each time the traffic light just barely turned green she would lay on her horn at the car in front of her to GET OUT OF THE WAY, like they didn't know the light had turned green or something - by the last light I can't even tell you my reaction (of course my window was rolled DOWN so she would hear me) :ROFLMAO: :ohmy: If you knew me you would be rolling on the floor laughing. All I knew was I could bolt if I needed to.

:angel:

Sometimes, you just gotta voice your opinion!:angel:

Andy M. said:
I was stuck behind a serious accident. The traffic was stopped while emergency vehicles did their work. It was winter and freezing cold. I had blown out my muffler earlier that day. If I ran the engine to keep warm, the noise was deafening. If I turned the engine off, I froze. I had to go to the bathroom and was missing my dinner. This all happened before the cell phone was generally in use so I was on my own.

So, VB, I can feel you pain, though prefer to get stuck in traffic on the way to work over getting stuck on the way home.

Oh without a doubt, if you have to get stuck, do it on the way in, never on the way out!

Thank you all so much. Yesterday was a horror show to be sure, but, on the good side...I'll never have to do that day again.:LOL:

i was deftly able to avoid most of that yesterday, vb.

i'm back on day shifts as of this week, so i asked my boss if i could work 7a to 3p's, to beat traffic.
i always turn on traffic reports as soon as i get in my car in the morning, and i heard about the bridge. the tunnels were up to 45 minutes because everyone was avoiding the bridge.
but after 25 years of driving into nyc every day (i started commuting in for college at 17) i know a few tricks.
i took 46 up to the bend in pal park, then took local roads thru fort lee to the bridge. i figured the cops that normally control traffic flow would be busy, so the little local side approach to the bridge would be controlled just by the traffic lights. if you know which street to take, you can sail right thru to the tolls, which i did.
i was over the bridge in 20 minutes, and then i found a broken meter, so i parked for free. it was a good day. :)

Years ago, we got stuck at morning rush hour in an expressway that turned into a virtual parking lot for 5 hours. Some cargo truck overturned at the foot of a bridge and made such a mess. No alternate routes for everybody. I can't remember how I got through that one without having to go to the bathroom!

Back
Top Bottom