"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I also buy much of my kitchen wares this way. I find all sort of stuff I would never buy retail. It is amazing the stuff people get rid of.
Lets not go there.

Wife has drug home LeCreuset ... one time something like 10 pieces .... sold most of it because it just didn't impress me and was taking up space. OTOH I got to try it for cheap at first then made a tidy profit from it. One time she brought home a casserole still in the box ...

We have two pasta machines ... sold the ravioli attachment.

SHort of it is, Wifes shopping at Goodwill (sic) is why I have storage issues in the kitchen, and the closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
Spending 5 or 10 bucks on something makes impulse buying fun.... If I end up not liking it... donate it back no biggie.
That sounds familiar.

Quote:
I also like the unkown... you know exactly what they will have at a chain store but in a thrift it is more of an hit or miss experience and you never know what you will find.
Thats why Wife goes every day she can. And she can drive past Goodwill after work if thats the way she wants to go.

Let me say it's not uncommon for me to enter the garage t find another pile of something on the tractor (this week it was a CASE of diapers. We use them for packing eBay shipments)

Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

My dear GF buys most of her office clothing at thrift stores.
She call them her "boutiques"!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
Head Chef

I would wear something from a thrift store if there was a thrift store near me that sold clothing that didn't look so "well" worn already.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Let me say it's not uncommon for me to enter the garage t find another pile of something on the tractor (this week it was a CASE of diapers. We use them for packing eBay shipments)

LOL... well if some of the junk I buy on ebay shows up wrapped in diapers I will know the source!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
Master Chef

My wife likes to buy thrift shop home furnishings and accessories. There are tons of thrift shops in my area.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

There was a time in my life that I could only afford thrift store clothes or hand me downs.

Barely had money to go to school and buy used books. I never really went to malls to shop. Guess I still get sticker shock when I go to the mall stores plus I am not much of a shopper. I prefer to shop online on Amazon than waste time spending hours at a mall.

I never had issues. I would wash them after I bought them home and then used them.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I am so hard on clothes living the way I do. I couldn't survive without thrift stores and second-hand shops. Most of what I have are work clothes for outside in the garden or the shed, flannel shirts and overalls are what I wear. About 2 years ago, someone dropped off an entire box, 10 pairs, of overalls close to my size but a little big and I got the whole box for $15. I won't need those for a long long time.
Work boots and work gloves are also important here and those rubber boots are great for slogging through the mud and snow and I get those at thrift stores too. Some are a little worn, some aren't, but I need stuff like that and at sometimes $2 to $5 a pair, that is a help.
I've often thought about these things being worn before, but I guess that it just doesn't bother me at all. Up here, nobody is rich so it doesn't matter. My church clothes even come from thrift and second hand shops and those are mostly skirts and blouses and sweaters and jumpers because up here women don't wear pants to church. I bought a beautiful maroon paisley corduroy jumper that comes down to almost my ankles for $8 right before Christmas.
I didn't mean to go into so much detail, but when you're way up here like I am, practicality and frugality is the only way to truly survive.
God bless thrift stores and Goodwill and all those others.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I absolutely buy the majority of our clothing from thrift-type stores or, more often, "pre-owned" on ebay. Most of what we wear is washable and gets washed before we wear it. (But that holds true for the new clothing we purchase, too. Who knows how many people have tried that item on before you buy it?) More than half the time, the clothing still has the tags on it and is clearly never worn.

I also look to buy home furnishings, construction and home repair materials, appliances, etc. "second hand" before I resort to buying new. Remember, antiques are second-hand furnishings, too!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
Head Chef

I have bought tons of Le Creuset, Cousances, Descoware, Copco, a Kitchenaid 4C mixer, marble dining table, boxes of towels, a down filled sofa, sewing machines, Cuisinart food processors by the score, down comforters, sewing fabric, cookbooks, other books, needlepoint chair upholstery, Kitchenaid attachments, and tons of stuff I can't even think of.

As far as clothing & jewelry goes, I have enough silk blouses, suits, and dresses; cashmere sweaters, coats, hats, scarves and jackets; 14kt gold antique watches, chains, a massive gold and ruby ring, Ferragamo shoes, Chanel purses, Dooney & Burke purses and briefcase, Coach purses, and stuff for 5 or 6 professionals.

It is amazing what you can find for pennies in thrift shops!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Oh, yeah, I have given each member of my family full sets of fine luggage that I purchased piecemeal on ebay and at estate sales. Hartmann, Mark Cross, Roots and even a couple of Louis Vuitton bags. With good cleaning products, saddle soap, and touch up dyes, most of them look brand new!