"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hey, Mav! I was in our area Goodwill store today and they had a huge rack of absolutely beautiful wedding gowns. Same for the Salvation Army store a few miles away. What a bargain!!!!!

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #32
Senior Cook
I had my wedding dress picked and paid for at Goodwill, too! How interesting is that!
But he died before the wedding but at least its a good reminder of him. I need to give it away, I know, I might.

A forum is but a forum; the people make it a family.
Erinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #33
Master Chef
That is very sad Erinny, but I would maybe hold onto it even make it into something else as a gentle reminder.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #34
Head Chef
I see thrift stores as the ultimate recycling center. Much better to carry your unwanted stuff to the thrift store and donate it, than to dump it in a landfill, and much better to buy good used stuff than made in China junk.

Many thrift stores are run by charities, so your money goes to good causes. I work with our local spay/neuter group, and we recently took over operation of a thrift store. It is amazing how busy the shop is--and as times get harder, I am sure we will be even busier.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #35
Sous Chef
I buy clothes for my kids second hand all the time. I'd rather spend $2 for a pair of PJ's they are going to grow out of in 3 months than $12. I have never even thought about skin problems/etc. The worse we've seen is my brother found a used tissue in the pocket of a jacket he bought for a 70's dance when he was in high school. But I think it is fairly rare, at least where I am from, for there to be some illness that doesn't wash out of clothes. The gain here is much greater than the risk, IMO.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
Senior Cook
I buy kids cloths all the time for the little guy I take care of, he outgrows them long before he wears them out. I haven't had much luck in finding anything for myself, though. I have also found tons of kitchen related items.......things I would never have bought at retail prices.
marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #37
Executive Chef
just yesterdaly i bought a jesus plate with 10kt gold trim. BEAUTFUL!
Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #38
Executive Chef
OH! only $2.00
Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #39
Executive Chef
I love thrift stores, garage sales, rummage sales auctions etc but out here the pickins aren't that great but once in a while I find something cool. Moving sales can be really good and estate sales.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #40
Head Chef
I love estate sales and have found some wonderful things there. I still don't buy clothes at estate sales anymore than I would at thrift, Goodwill or Salvation Army shops. And I have found some wonderful serving pieces and glassware at Goodwill. I can sterilize that kind of stuff.
Sorry guys, but you just can't wash some skin disease out of clothes unless you boil them or use bleach.Now let me tell you why I asked the question and why I will NEVER buy used clothing.

My friend, who has more money than God, buys all her clothes at a local thrift shop. She washes them in cold water as she does all her clothes and hangs them - never uses a dryer for anything.
While I was waiting for her so we could go to lunch, I was standing at the counter when I lady walked in with a box of clothing. She was talking to the girl behind the counter while the girl was sorting and tagging the clothing.
The woman who brought the clothes in had some unbielievable funk growing on her arms and neck. It looked like open sores and ....well let's not go there. The thought occured to me, as I watched the counter girl put the clothes on the racks, that no one would ever know that these clothes were worn by someone with such a horrific skin problem. No way in this green planet will I ever buy clothes from a thrift shop. Never did but now I never will.
But thank you all for responding. You came up with some interesting things.

Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote