"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #41
Master Chef

Love some of the finds I get there as well. A nice CD/Radio/Dual Alarm clock for $5, a Hitachi bread machine for $10, an electric ice cream maker for $8. Great places to shop IMHO.
And yes, I think better than buying new made in China stuff a lot of the time. Especially those old Rival Crockpots that keep showing up!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #42
Executive Chef

A couple of friends and I do a tea party to go for elderly and homebound ladies in our church. I purchased all the tea dishes from a Salvation Army thrift store. Everyone always oohs and aahs over them when we serve. I paid more for one 3-tiered server from a catalogue than for all the dishes. I haven't bought clothes that were used, but wouldn't have a problem with it as long as I washed them before wearing. I always wash new underwear before we use them.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #43
Head Chef

I love going to the Goodwill and looking through the stuff. It is like a treasure hunt and you never know what you find. I always wash or dry clean whatever I get immediately. Can't tell you how many Pyrex bowls I've picked up at the GW.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post

The woman who brought the clothes in had some unbielievable funk growing on her arms and neck. It looked like open sores and ....well let's not go there. The thought occured to me, as I watched the counter girl put the clothes on the racks, that no one would ever know that these clothes were worn by someone with such a horrific skin problem. No way in this green planet will I ever buy clothes from a thrift shop. Never did but now I never will.
But thank you all for responding. You came up with some interesting things.
....and that same woman could have tried on the outfit you just paid full price for at Neiman Marcus. Everything I own goes in the washer on "hot" and in the dryer for an hour so I am not concerned.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #45
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
....and that same woman could have tried on the outfit you just paid full price for at Neiman Marcus.
Now DARE you imply it's possible shoppers at Neiman Marcus could be diseased!! That is completely uncalled for ... Harumph!

But seriously, Wife is in Victoria's Secret trying on bras, I see several little girls (mid to late teens) trying on swim suits. I'm thinking Golly, we have no idea where 'thats' been or how long ago 'it' was 'there'.

And remember the PSA: ?

Quote:
Everything I own goes in the washer on "hot" and in the dryer for an hour so I am not concerned.
Don't forget the Clorox!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
....and that same woman could have tried on the outfit you just paid full price for at Neiman Marcus. Everything I own goes in the washer on "hot" and in the dryer for an hour so I am not concerned.
I'm not intending to beat you over the head with this because I asked for opinions and appreciate that you gave me yours. BUT I have to disagree. Knowing there is a possiblility and a small one at that, that any article of clothing that I would try on at Neiman Marcus, (actually I buy my clothes at Nordstrom) was tried on by anyone at all, much less someone with a skin condition is NOT the same as knowing for SURE that the clothes that woman brought in were worn by her. Not every piece of clothing in a department store is tried on by anyone, that's a fact, but the nearly all of the clothing in a thrift store was worn over and over by someone. Not the same as just trying something on for a couple of minutes.

And I have to disagree on the washing technique. I don't know of anyone who washes sweaters, jackets, or slacks in hot water, with clorox, and in a hot dryer. Cotton yes, but not the rest of it.

As far as swim suits are concerned, the better stores will tell you or have a sign indicating that you must be wearing underwear to try on a swim suit. How many people walk around without underwear? (Rhetorical question, not another thread. )
I'm wondering why anyone would take off their underwear to try one on in the first place.

I fully understand the need for some people to save money and I agree this is one way to do it. I'm just wondering, and gathering information, how many of you do and how many don't and the reasons behind your decision. I wish I could do it too, but....
Old 01-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Love some of the finds I get there as well. ...... Especially those old Rival Crockpots that keep showing up!
Oooo! Good idea, Mav! The ONLY thing I like about my newer crock is the larger size.

I'll keep an eye out for the older ones that cook all day without burning stuff (wish I hadn't tossed mine out!)

Lee
Old 01-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #48
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I'm not intending to beat you over the head with this because I asked for opinions and appreciate that you gave me yours. BUT I have to disagree. Knowing there is a possiblility and a small one at that, that any article of clothing that I would try on at Neiman Marcus, (actually I buy my clothes at Nordstrom) was tried on by anyone at all, much less someone with a skin condition is NOT the same as knowing for SURE that the clothes that woman brought in were worn by her. Not every piece of clothing in a department store is tried on by anyone, that's a fact, but the nearly all of the clothing in a thrift store was worn over and over by someone. Not the same as just trying something on for a couple of minutes.

And I have to disagree on the washing technique. I don't know of anyone who washes sweaters, jackets, or slacks in hot water, with clorox, and in a hot dryer. Cotton yes, but not the rest of it.

As far as swim suits are concerned, the better stores will tell you or have a sign indicating that you must be wearing underwear to try on a swim suit. How many people walk around without underwear? (Rhetorical question, not another thread. )
I'm wondering why anyone would take off their underwear to try one on in the first place.

I fully understand the need for some people to save money and I agree this is one way to do it. I'm just wondering, and gathering information, how many of you do and how many don't and the reasons behind your decision. I wish I could do it too, but....
First of all you have no knowledge that this persons condition was in any way contagious.

Aside from rarely worn suits.. pretty much everything I own goes in on hot and the dryer... from sweaters to the dog bed... I am lazy, I am a bachelor and I don't sort....

Otherwise its to the dry cleaner for chemical death... so again I dont worry...... what about he bus or the handles on the taxi... I just dont spend my time freaking out about every surface.

what about restaurant kitchens... people are gross... the world is scary if you think too much....
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
... the world is scary if you think too much....
Ain't it the truth!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #50
Head Chef

Quote:
First of all you have no knowledge that this persons condition was in any way contagious.

Aside from rarely worn suits.. pretty much everything I own goes in on hot and the dryer... from sweaters to the dog bed... I am lazy, I am a bachelor and I don't sort....

Otherwise its to the dry cleaner for chemical death... so again I dont worry...... what about he bus or the handles on the taxi... I just dont spend my time freaking out about every surface.

what about restaurant kitchens... people are gross... the world is scary if you think too much....
The stuff that I KNOW about bothers me enough without wondering about the stuff I DON'T know about.

Just so you understand I am not talking about kitchen items, toys, etc. Those things can be sanitized and washed in very hot water. I have found some of the best serving pieces and glassware in Goodwill shops. I don't buy electrical appliances because I have no way of knowing if they will work beyond the end of the week, but I do think there are some great buys in thrift stores. Just not for me as far as something as personal as clothing.