"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #61
Sous Chef

I have read this article. It is a terrible law. I live in a neighborhood where many families rely on the thrift stores. They are not shopping thrift for fun or to to fill up their kitchen with even more retro junk like me they are shopping thrift by need. Sometimes it gives them a chance to get better clothes then they would be able to buy new or things like winter jackets clothes for school etc that they would otherwise not be able to afford. All this law will do is cause these people to pay more money for low quality made in china clothing taking more money out of the pockets of struggling american families and filtering that money to China.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #62
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Oooo! Good idea, Mav! The ONLY thing I like about my newer crock is the larger size.

I'll keep an eye out for the older ones that cook all day without burning stuff (wish I hadn't tossed mine out!)

Lee

I know this thread is not about crockpots but I do agree with you Osis. Tossed mine too and wish I didn't.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I have read this article. It is a terrible law. I live in a neighborhood where many families rely on the thrift stores. They are not shopping thrift for fun or to to fill up their kitchen with even more retro junk like me they are shopping thrift by need. Sometimes it gives them a chance to get better clothes then they would be able to buy new or things like winter jackets clothes for school etc that they would otherwise not be able to afford. All this law will do is cause these people to pay more money for low quality made in china clothing taking more money out of the pockets of struggling american families and filtering that money to China.
Yep. I agree with you . How dare the govenment put children's safety first? We should let the thrift stores sell these clothes and let the kids take their chances. If it puts their lives in danger, so what. Right? As long as people can get clothes cheaper than they would have had to pay at retail costs. That's the important thing.

You say all this law will do is cause people to pay more money for low quality clothing... etc. Is this ALL the law will do? Are you just not getting it?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #64
Master Chef

If this is so dire an emergency, why are the clothes not being pulled from retail stores right now? And why can't I Google news stories about kids dying from lead poisoning contracted from lead in their clothes? Am I not wording the search right?
This law only prevents new shipments from coming in, but does nothing about the new clothes in retail stores now or warehouses around the country just waiting to be shipped to stores for the summer or even fall line ups.
Also, if lead from the clothes is leaching into peoples skin and causing lead poisoning, why would used clothes be so dangerous? It stands to reason that new clothes would have higher levels of lead in them. As they were used and worn and lead 'supposedly' leached out of them, there would be less left in the clothes.
So why start addressing this epidemic by going after less dangerous used clothing and not the more dangerous new clothing still in the stores?
The law just doesn't make sense, until you stop looking at the safety factor and start looking at the retail factor, IE hey let's not be hasty and do anything about what we already bought and have stored here until we have a chance to sell them first... then let the consumer and thrift stores deal with the fall out.
Children first indeed...
Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #65
Head Chef

Actually, Mav--I have seen a local story on the news. The law would require that second hand shops test the clothing to ensure they are safe. The problem is the cost--the second hand shops don't want to pay and so will most likely close.

As for new clothing, I believe we are looking at Chinese imports more closely now--toys, pet food, people food and now clothing.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #66
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Actually, Mav--I have seen a local story on the news. The law would require that second hand shops test the clothing to ensure they are safe. The problem is the cost--the second hand shops don't want to pay and so will most likely close.

As for new clothing, I believe we are looking at Chinese imports more closely now--toys, pet food, people food and now clothing.
I agree this is going to cause a lot of these store to close, which is kinda sad because if we just removed all the new clothes from the store and prevented more from being imported, then removed all suspect clothing only from the thrift stores, there shouldn't be any left to cause a problem. As long as they are sorted before hitting the floor, there is no reason why childrens clothes from other places (such as here or Europe) could not continue to be sold.

The problem is that when this law goes into effect thrift stores have to remove all untested childrens clothes.. but what about the retail stores? Are they going to have to remove all untested childrens clothes from their racks as well? Or do they get to continue to sell them even though they may contain lead?
I know right now if I go to my local GoodWill, only about a third of the clothes there that I browse thru are the cheap made in China stuff. The cheap stuff just doesn't last long enough to get donated. But if I go to Target, most of their stuff is made in China.
Therefore, if I assume clothes made in China are unsafe, then Target is much more unsafe to shop at then the Goodwill.
This is what I am trying to get at, this is what concerns me. If I can't get kids clothes at the GoodWill anymore, I have to either take my chances with stuff at Target made in China, or buy the more expensive stuff which I cannot afford to do.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #67
Head Chef

New Zealand investigates chemical contamination in Chinese clothing imports

and if you scroll down, you will see it here:
China media warn of poison baby bottles, clothes

Dangerous Made-In-China Products: 2007 Timeline : Who Sucks
Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #68
Master Chef

These are all new products, what about used products? Thrift stores don't carry new stuff, well sometimes odd new stuff, retail stores do. Shouldn't we be testing all the new made in China stuff in stores now and yanking them like NZ is?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #69
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Yep. I agree with you . How dare the govenment put children's safety first? We should let the thrift stores sell these clothes and let the kids take their chances. If it puts their lives in danger, so what. Right? As long as people can get clothes cheaper than they would have had to pay at retail costs. That's the important thing.

You say all this law will do is cause people to pay more money for low quality clothing... etc. Is this ALL the law will do? Are you just not getting it?

Well if there is such cause for alarm how about the government seize all existing children's clothes and have a burning...

The whole thing seems rather alarmist considering the small risk of any danger.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #70
Head Chef

Did you see how far back some of the articles go? Children's clothes especially are not always worn long and go to second hand quickly because they are outgrown. So, sorry Maverick, I think you are still missing the point.

One needs to deal with both new and used garments from China.

Do you remember about the lead glazing in Chinese dishes and mugs? I still won't buy them.