Thrift Store clothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I give up. I will never understand that way of thinking and never will. But I'm done. I think we've taken this as far as it can go.

No, DramaQueen. I think your thread may have opened up some people's eyes. Whether or not people choose to avoid buying clothes from China before the testing begins--is up to them. They have to decide what kind of risk they are willing to assume for their children and as long as they are competent, that is their legal right.

It seems that Thrift Stores won't have to test for lead afterall.

Lead Testing Won't Apply To Thrift Stores

Mama, your article says, "Although testing is not required, agency spokeswoman Julie Vallese emphasized that secondhand shops cannot sell products that exceed the lead limits and should avoid products that may contain lead. That may mean, for example, that such shops need to be more vigilant about recall notices. It became illegal to sell recalled products on Aug. 14, 2008, the day the measure was signed into law."

How does that alter anything? It is a compromise but it still requires a lot of the second hand store owner.

:LOL:
No, DramaQueen. I think your thread may have opened up some people's eyes. Whether or not people choose to avoid buying clothes from China before the testing begins--is up to them. They have to decide what kind of risk they are willing to assume for their children and as long as they are competent, that is their legal right.

You're right, or course, about it being their lega right to decide. What I'm questioning is the government's change of the law that would protect children. And also questioning the mind set that makes people angry when a dangerous substance is about to be taken off the market.

I've decided to do a blog about prostitution instead. It's a heck of a lot less controversial. :LOL:

HELP!!! I'm trapped in this thread and can't get out. :ROFLMAO:

Mama, your article says, "Although testing is not required, agency spokeswoman Julie Vallese emphasized that secondhand shops cannot sell products that exceed the lead limits and should avoid products that may contain lead. That may mean, for example, that such shops need to be more vigilant about recall notices. It became illegal to sell recalled products on Aug. 14, 2008, the day the measure was signed into law."

How does that alter anything? It is a compromise but it still requires a lot of the second hand store owner.

Well, first of all Susan, it's not my article it's from the LATimes. Secondly, I've not stated my stance on lead testing in thrift stores, although, regardless of what I think, I doubt that the law will ever be enforced when it comes to second-hand clothes. Are they going to be checking yard sales too? If the government were really concerned, why not just refuse this garbage from China if they will not regulate the way things are produced? And why don't we, as a people, just refuse to buy "Made in China"?

Well, first of all Susan, it's not my article it's from the LATimes. Secondly, I've not stated my stance on lead testing in thrift stores, although, regardless of what I think, I doubt that the law will ever be enforced when it comes to second-hand clothes. Are they going to be checking yard sales too? If the government were really concerned, why not just refuse this garbage from China if they will not regulate the way things are produced? And why don't we, as a people, just refuse to buy "Made in China"?

Mama, to clarify, I meant it was the article that you posted.

Whether or not you would post an article that you agree with or not, I do not know you well enough to know that. It can be a valid thing to do to provoke conversation and that is why I added more to the conversation based on your post.

As for an answer to your question, I believe that it requires a political answer that I cannot give here as it is against the rules.

I think we must be misunderstanding each other Susan, I wasn't trying to "provoke" anything I was just posting an article that I thought might be relevant. Just offering up some information.

The problem isn't with us, or whether or not we as consumers and parents are concerned about it because we obviously are or we wouldn't be here talking about it. The problem is with the law.
I went to Target and Wal-Mart today, nothing is changing there. Still plenty of clothing and other stuff made in China available. No body is checking for lead or other chemicals, no warnings being posted. NOTHING.
So how is this making me safe? How come no one can answer that questions? Resellers buy their clothes up to 6 months in advance of the season they will be selling them in, that means there could be contaminated clothing still in these stores up to six months after the law takes effect because they were already in warehouses in the US and therefore never tested!
I guess I don't understand why this doesn't concern anyone else???? Are you saying it is OK to sell contaminated clothes in retail shops just not thrift shops just because you don't like thrift shops?
I don't understand why we want to remove contaminated clothing from one source but leave it at another source... how does that fix the problem?

About Chinese Imports

I recently bought a new pair of boots. This is an item that I would prefer to buy new. The red wing store had two boots that matched my wants and needs. One was made in USA and the other was made in China. Both had the Red Wing brand. I stood in the store weighing the pros and cons of each until I thought:
  • On principal I would prefer "Made in America".
  • What are my principles worth to me?
I paid $50 more for the boots made here. It was my choice, not the governments. This relates to the discussion above whether the purchase is made at Sacs or the Salvation Army.

By the way, I love the new boots.:)

OH MY GOD!! I was going to get the heck out of this but I just can't. Let me try just ONE more time: In answer to Maverick's post.

The clothing in the stores is being tested for lead IN THE METAL PARTS OF THE CLOTHING. There is NO LEAD IN THE FABRIC so if the clothing doesn't have metal BUTTONS, BUCKLES, ZIPPERS, STUDS, ETC. it will not need to be tested.

Just because an article of clothing contains metal, doesn't mean it contains lead. That's what they're testing for - do the metal parts contain lead and how much lead?

We are NOT banning clothing made iin China, we are testing to see if any clothes are coming with metal parts THAT CONTAIN LEAD. The reason we are singling out China is because China is notorious for having no laws banning the use of lead.

So bottom line: If there is clothing in any store shelf containing lead iin the metal parts, it will be pulled or not put on the shelves at all.
Just because you see clothing on any store shelf that is labled Made In China, don't assume it contains lead. It may have already been tested and found safe OR THE TESTING HASNT' STARTED YET.

We have pulled several toys made in China because of the lead content, but not all toys made in China contain lead.

Is anyone but me getting it?

I regularly shop either Goodwill or the St. Vincent DePaul stores in our area. They are very clean and the merchandise is well displayed and kept neat. The added advantage is helping a cause when I purchase an item. I will always have them keep the change.

OH MY GOD!! I was going to get the heck out of this but I just can't. Let me try just ONE more time: In answer to Maverick's post.

The clothing in the stores is being tested for lead IN THE METAL PARTS OF THE CLOTHING. There is NO LEAD IN THE FABRIC so if the clothing doesn't have metal BUTTONS, BUCKLES, ZIPPERS, STUDS, ETC. it will not need to be tested.

Just because an article of clothing contains metal, doesn't mean it contains lead. That's what they're testing for - do the metal parts contain lead and how much lead?

We are NOT banning clothing made iin China, we are testing to see if any clothes are coming with metal parts THAT CONTAIN LEAD. The reason we are singling out China is because China is notorious for having no laws banning the use of lead.

So bottom line: If there is clothing in any store shelf containing lead iin the metal parts, it will be pulled or not put on the shelves at all.
Just because you see clothing on any store shelf that is labled Made In China, don't assume it contains lead. It may have already been tested and found safe OR THE TESTING HASNT' STARTED YET.

We have pulled several toys made in China because of the lead content, but not all toys made in China contain lead.

Is anyone but me getting it?

I am well aware of where the lead is, but I don't see anything going on in the retail stores... nothing being yanked, nothing being tested. No signs says this has been tested that hasn't... so how do you know what is safe or not?
MY GOD WHY CAN"T ANYONE GET THIS????????????????? Why is everyone assuming that just because it is in a retail store it is safe????????

Almost forgot, if you follow PieSusan's links you will see the reason we keep saying 'contaminated clothing' is because the problem is not just lead in the metal, but also chemicals like formaldehyde in the clothing itself. So testing is not just for lead, but for any other chemicals at dangerous levels.
If you are only concerned about the possibility of lead in metal parts, well then you are missing a whole other part to the problem. I thank PieSusan for pointing that one out, and several other recent problems, to me that I was not aware of.
But still doesn't change the fact that retail shops are ominously silent about all this... and nothing is being removed from their shelves, no way of telling what is safe or not safe...bizzare to accept that as OK when it comes to the safety of our kids...

Back
Top Bottom