"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #81
Head Chef

It seems that Thrift Stores won't have to test for lead afterall.

Lead Testing Won't Apply To Thrift Stores

Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #82
Head Chef

I give up. I will never understand that way of thinking and never will. But I'm done. I think we've taken this as far as it can go.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #83
Head Chef

No, DramaQueen. I think your thread may have opened up some people's eyes. Whether or not people choose to avoid buying clothes from China before the testing begins--is up to them. They have to decide what kind of risk they are willing to assume for their children and as long as they are competent, that is their legal right.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #84
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
It seems that Thrift Stores won't have to test for lead afterall.

Lead Testing Won't Apply To Thrift Stores
Mama, your article says, "Although testing is not required, agency spokeswoman Julie Vallese emphasized that secondhand shops cannot sell products that exceed the lead limits and should avoid products that may contain lead. That may mean, for example, that such shops need to be more vigilant about recall notices. It became illegal to sell recalled products on Aug. 14, 2008, the day the measure was signed into law."

How does that alter anything? It is a compromise but it still requires a lot of the second hand store owner.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #85
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
No, DramaQueen. I think your thread may have opened up some people's eyes. Whether or not people choose to avoid buying clothes from China before the testing begins--is up to them. They have to decide what kind of risk they are willing to assume for their children and as long as they are competent, that is their legal right.
You're right, or course, about it being their lega right to decide. What I'm questioning is the government's change of the law that would protect children. And also questioning the mind set that makes people angry when a dangerous substance is about to be taken off the market.

I've decided to do a blog about prostitution instead. It's a heck of a lot less controversial.

HELP!!! I'm trapped in this thread and can't get out.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #86
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Mama, your article says, "Although testing is not required, agency spokeswoman Julie Vallese emphasized that secondhand shops cannot sell products that exceed the lead limits and should avoid products that may contain lead. That may mean, for example, that such shops need to be more vigilant about recall notices. It became illegal to sell recalled products on Aug. 14, 2008, the day the measure was signed into law."

How does that alter anything? It is a compromise but it still requires a lot of the second hand store owner.
Well, first of all Susan, it's not my article it's from the LATimes. Secondly, I've not stated my stance on lead testing in thrift stores, although, regardless of what I think, I doubt that the law will ever be enforced when it comes to second-hand clothes. Are they going to be checking yard sales too? If the government were really concerned, why not just refuse this garbage from China if they will not regulate the way things are produced? And why don't we, as a people, just refuse to buy "Made in China"?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #87
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Well, first of all Susan, it's not my article it's from the LATimes. Secondly, I've not stated my stance on lead testing in thrift stores, although, regardless of what I think, I doubt that the law will ever be enforced when it comes to second-hand clothes. Are they going to be checking yard sales too? If the government were really concerned, why not just refuse this garbage from China if they will not regulate the way things are produced? And why don't we, as a people, just refuse to buy "Made in China"?
Mama, to clarify, I meant it was the article that you posted.

Whether or not you would post an article that you agree with or not, I do not know you well enough to know that. It can be a valid thing to do to provoke conversation and that is why I added more to the conversation based on your post.

As for an answer to your question, I believe that it requires a political answer that I cannot give here as it is against the rules.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #88
Head Chef

I think we must be misunderstanding each other Susan, I wasn't trying to "provoke" anything I was just posting an article that I thought might be relevant. Just offering up some information.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #89
Master Chef

The problem isn't with us, or whether or not we as consumers and parents are concerned about it because we obviously are or we wouldn't be here talking about it. The problem is with the law.
I went to Target and Wal-Mart today, nothing is changing there. Still plenty of clothing and other stuff made in China available. No body is checking for lead or other chemicals, no warnings being posted. NOTHING.
So how is this making me safe? How come no one can answer that questions? Resellers buy their clothes up to 6 months in advance of the season they will be selling them in, that means there could be contaminated clothing still in these stores up to six months after the law takes effect because they were already in warehouses in the US and therefore never tested!
I guess I don't understand why this doesn't concern anyone else???? Are you saying it is OK to sell contaminated clothes in retail shops just not thrift shops just because you don't like thrift shops?
I don't understand why we want to remove contaminated clothing from one source but leave it at another source... how does that fix the problem?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #90
Head Chef

About Chinese Imports

I recently bought a new pair of boots. This is an item that I would prefer to buy new. The red wing store had two boots that matched my wants and needs. One was made in USA and the other was made in China. Both had the Red Wing brand. I stood in the store weighing the pros and cons of each until I thought:
  • On principal I would prefer "Made in America".
  • What are my principles worth to me?
I paid $50 more for the boots made here. It was my choice, not the governments. This relates to the discussion above whether the purchase is made at Sacs or the Salvation Army.

By the way, I love the new boots.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote