Thrift Store clothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My family didn't appreciate the fine leather luggage I bought them!

They just looked at me as if I was nuts.

My family didn't appreciate the fine leather luggage I bought them!

They just looked at me as if I was nuts.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That's so funny because neither did mine, initially. But after a couple of trips, they were thanking me sincerely. But they are like that about lots of the stuff I find - laughing hard until the right occasion comes along. Then I'm brilliant!

shopped at good will today. found two sweaters. this is the first time i have bought clothing there. i have several family members that shop there all the time. will wash em and wear em
i also found a lovely bread box for 8 bucks. has inlaid tiles in a blue pattern i like. will paint the wood part white to match in my kitchen.

I don't have a problem with thrift store clothes. Heck, I have found brand new items that still had their price tags. I bought a pair of shoes that lasted me forever. My grandma got me in to that when she would make a day of going to area garage sales (usually on Saturday).

I simply don't feel there is anything wrong with it. People pay too much money for a brand name, which sometimes turns out not to be worth the money you paid for it.

We shop the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores all the time. I almost never find my size there, but there is usually plenty of selection for the wife and kids. Everything from everyday clothes to some really nice dresses and even some school uniforms.

I don't get to shop, so I order most of my stuff online, but my cleaning lady gets some really good buys at the thrift store. My daughter also finds a lot of great bargains at rummage sales, just as I used to.

Fixed income or not, I am always looking for a way to stretch my dollar.

We have a tradition of giving each of our newly-married children a set of Christmas dishes. It's fun and something they wouldn't be moved to buy themselves. And, certainly something they wouldn't purchase after having children...for several reasons.

This last Christmas, I was able to give one of our sons and his wife a beautiful service for 4 of a lovely Christmas dinnerware that came from Linens 'n' Things. The box still had the original sticker ($50). I snagged the box for $5.

As for clothes, I have purchased some of the most beautiful, and expensive, clothing for pennies on the dollar and, as others have already mentioned, some of these clothes still had the original store tags on them.

I don't particularly care to shop, so shopping at thrift stores and consignment stores makes it a little more bearable for me.

I had my wedding dress picked and paid for at Goodwill, too! How interesting is that!
But he died before the wedding but at least its a good reminder of him. I need to give it away, I know, I might.

That is very sad Erinny, but I would maybe hold onto it even make it into something else as a gentle reminder.

I see thrift stores as the ultimate recycling center. Much better to carry your unwanted stuff to the thrift store and donate it, than to dump it in a landfill, and much better to buy good used stuff than made in China junk.

Many thrift stores are run by charities, so your money goes to good causes. I work with our local spay/neuter group, and we recently took over operation of a thrift store. It is amazing how busy the shop is--and as times get harder, I am sure we will be even busier.

I buy clothes for my kids second hand all the time. I'd rather spend $2 for a pair of PJ's they are going to grow out of in 3 months than $12. I have never even thought about skin problems/etc. The worse we've seen is my brother found a used tissue in the pocket of a jacket he bought for a 70's dance when he was in high school. But I think it is fairly rare, at least where I am from, for there to be some illness that doesn't wash out of clothes. The gain here is much greater than the risk, IMO.

I buy kids cloths all the time for the little guy I take care of, he outgrows them long before he wears them out. I haven't had much luck in finding anything for myself, though. I have also found tons of kitchen related items.......things I would never have bought at retail prices.

:)I love thrift stores, garage sales, rummage sales auctions etc but out here the pickins aren't that great but once in a while I find something cool. Moving sales can be really good and estate sales.

I love estate sales and have found some wonderful things there. I still don't buy clothes at estate sales anymore than I would at thrift, Goodwill or Salvation Army shops. And I have found some wonderful serving pieces and glassware at Goodwill. I can sterilize that kind of stuff.
Sorry guys, but you just can't wash some skin disease out of clothes unless you boil them or use bleach.Now let me tell you why I asked the question and why I will NEVER buy used clothing.

My friend, who has more money than God, buys all her clothes at a local thrift shop. She washes them in cold water as she does all her clothes and hangs them - never uses a dryer for anything.
While I was waiting for her so we could go to lunch, I was standing at the counter when I lady walked in with a box of clothing. She was talking to the girl behind the counter while the girl was sorting and tagging the clothing.
The woman who brought the clothes in had some unbielievable funk growing on her arms and neck. It looked like open sores and ....well let's not go there. The thought occured to me, as I watched the counter girl put the clothes on the racks, that no one would ever know that these clothes were worn by someone with such a horrific skin problem. No way in this green planet will I ever buy clothes from a thrift shop. Never did but now I never will.
But thank you all for responding. You came up with some interesting things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom