Thyme from my garden in January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Saturday it was close to 70 degrees here. Normally we would be lucky if it was above freezing. So of course I took advantage and sat out on my deck in a short sleeve shirt and read my book. While I was out there (first time since the summer) I noticed that my rosemary and thyme plants were still alive and healthy! So yesterday I made my chicken and leek risotto with fresh tyme from my garden. Some may say this is because of global warming and I know that may not be a good thing, but I am certainly enjoying the effects anyway.

I've harvested thyme and rosemary in the wiinter in previous years. This year, SO decided to dig it all up.

Wow, what a surprising treat!! I have seen some flowers are budding out of their normal season here, too. I agree it may not be entirely a good sign, but also true that our life is short, gotta enjoy when you are blessed with such treats:)

I had fresh herbs outside in my garden all winter last year, too. This year I left everything but the basil in place, and they're still going fine, even the Lavender!:ohmy:

I have had rosemary live for several years due to my laziness in not digging it up and drying it.

This year I harvested habanero peppers a few days before Xmas!

I also need to mow the lawn again after the recent warm weather. I find that very unsettling .....:(

Come for a visit you guys, you can shovel our driveway! Its supposed to dump on us again this week and drop us in the deep freeze again. DANG! I was enjoying our mild weather here too! (Not as mild as you all, but really nice all the same)

How wonderful. I bring Rosemary in for the winter, and this year gave it a really good haircut. I've lived here for five years, and most years the thyme, sage, and any mint-related herb come back. Dill volunteers. But last winter was severe enough that it killed my regular thyme. We'll see how it does this winter (so far very, very mild). I'm mad at myself. When I gave the rosemary a haircut, i threw the springs away. I'm rolling my eyes! What in the Aitch Eee double hockey sticks was I thinking of?

I could make up a herb bouquet here in Missouri this January, too, with new leaves of oregano, mint, lemon balm and thyme. The lavendar is still alive too--hope it makes it til spring.

I also have violets and forsythia blooming on and off whenever the temp stays above freezing for a day or two.

I am ready for spring--another 4 or 5 weeks and the crocus and daffs will start.:)

In my subtropical garden, I have fresh herbs all year round, and I do tend to take it for granted. I think I can understand the thrill you experienced, when you normally only have fresh herbs for a few months of the year. How nice for you! There is nothing better than fresh herbs.

My rosemary is a monster, it comes up to almost my shoulder, is full and thriving and has been for almost 25 years..The thyme is great and producing as is the marjoram and I noticed some basil pusing up in the big 1/2 barrel I grow it in in the summer along with some parsley that is keeping me in business..This has nothing to do with herbs, but last spring my son-in-law rescued a tangerine tree and brought it to me. We planted it in a large 1/2 tub, I now am eating tangerines that are like honey..This little thing has produced 30 tangerines!!! I think it loves us:LOL:

kadesma

I'm in Ohio and I still have my rosemary - which is usually dead by now. My thyme, sage, oregano and chives are all doing well. Now if only the basil could have survived!!!

It's been unusually warm here as well (Maine). My poor perennials (flowers) will be in bad shape in the spring unless it's starts to freeze up soon. Blame it on El Nino for this year I suppose. Not that I'm complaining ;)

Back
Top Bottom