Time Flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
45 years ago I was half way through my probationary year after qualifying as a secondary school (High School?) teacher. I'd already decided I hated it (a rather grim placing - could write a book but won't. I'd be sued!) and was in two minds about giving up. I did so 25 years later!

42 years ago nothing much happened

45 years ago I was married and we had an 11-month old little girl. 42 years ago tomorrow her little sister was born.

45 years ago I had been honorably discharged from the army 8 months earlier. The Montana economy and job market was in the toilet because of the gradual shutting down of operations by the Anaconda Copper Mining Co., the state's largest employer, and the only real industry outside of agriculture, lumber, and tourism. With thousands of guys looking for work in a state with just 750,000 people, the pickings were very slim. It's the closest I ever came to being homeless, and but for the help and support of a very good friend, I might have been. Not the best time in my life.

Then 44 years ago this month I moved to Colorado and my world and my outlook on life did a full turnabout. :mrgreen:

45 years ago? Seems like a lifetime ago and, for some, it has been.

This time, that long ago, I was mothering a 2-year-old, a 5-month-old and a kingergartener. Had my hands full. Little did I know that a year later, I would have another child and become the guardian to my two younger sisters, along with fostering out my youngest brother to friends, all this upon my dad's death. Can you say, "full house?"

Lots of lessons were learned and I discovered strength that I never knew possible. I've always been a "people" person and this was the ultimate exercise of my abilities in that regard.

First, thank you for your service, Paymaster. Same to you, Rick. And to anyone else who didn't mention it but served our country.

45 years ago...hmm, 1972. I was a couple months away from my 21st birthday, single, had a car and friends in Dayton, Columbus, Bowling Green and St. Louis MO. Did a lot of travelling when I could, weekends to the close places and a week-long visit to St. Lou. Young, carefree...*sigh* Would I trade my life to go back? Nope, because 42 years ago I was dating Himself, about a month away from a formal engagement, but we just knew we would end up as life-partners. Not a bad life, either. *second sigh*

I was living in Texas 45 years ago and so huge with pregnancy. When you are as small as I am there is no room for pregnancy except out front. Being at the last part of your pregnancy through a Texas summer is no fun. It was so difficult that the baby came a month early. A perfect five pound baby boy. Today he is practicing emergency medicine in Vermont. And he is the biggest of my kids. Stands 6'2" tall.

Last edited:
45 years ago I was 12 years old, I had not done much of any importance, Campfire Girls and 4-H, 7th grade. Matter of interest - Shrek was getting his first divorce.

I would also like to thank our Veteran's for their service. I am a service brat.

45 years ago I was 12 years old, I had not done much of any importance, Campfire Girls and 4-H, 7th grade. Matter of interest - Shrek was getting his first divorce.

I would also like to thank our Veteran's for their service. I am a service brat.

He was just practicing because he knew you would come along later.

What projects were you involved with in 4-H?

He was just practicing because he knew you would come along later.

What projects were you involved with in 4-H?

Cooking, sewing, leather work, and had cows a couple of summers when I stayed with my Uncle and Aunt.

In 1972 I was married with a seven year old little boy and attending college full time while he was in school. I never dreamed I'd have another child but in 1972 his baby brother was born. It was a very good year.

Cooking, sewing, leather work, and had cows a couple of summers when I stayed with my Uncle and Aunt.

When I had the 4-H kids in Wash. State, my kids were all farm kids. I was always amazed at their dedication to their animals. Some were present when their calf or colt or what ever animal was born. They helped deliver and clean them up. Those animals were registered in the breeding books and the child was listed as the owner. I had one who animal was up for sale. It was a registered bull. It brought her $10,00. She came in the dorm and sobbed for more than an hour. Telling her that was her feed money for the next year for her other animals was no consolation to her. She had delivered that bull and hand raised him until he had a ring put in his nose. Then she was showing him for sale, she just led him around the ring by the nose. My heart just broke for her.

I just love farm kids.

1972, huh? Well, let's see, that was before I left home...OK, I was 15 and spending my time between foster homes, group homes and finally ended up in a Juvie center. I turned 16 there. It was also the time when I was listening to KQRS in Golden Valley, MN, and wow - what a great musical education! In fact, this last year has been all about finding some of that great old music on Youtube - songs I haven't heard in over 40 years. But I've always remembered them. That music has been a lifeline to me and I'll always love it.

1972, huh? Well, let's see, that was before I left home...OK, I was 15 and spending my time between foster homes, group homes and finally ended up in a Juvie center. I turned 16 there. It was also the time when I was listening to KQRS in Golden Valley, MN, and wow - what a great musical education! In fact, this last year has been all about finding some of that great old music on Youtube - songs I haven't heard in over 40 years. But I've always remembered them. That music has been a lifeline to me and I'll always love it.

I sure can identify with all that. So glad we both survived it all.

Back
Top Bottom